Sainsbury/DWF - can they pass on his details to the police /Legal action for shoplifting??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1757 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys

My friend was caught shoplifting at Sainsbury's, the value of the item was around £5 - £6. Security staff took down his details but did not call the police - they issued him with a lifetime ban instead. I know he'll expect a letter from DWF but can they pass on his details to the police and if so will they take action to investigate this and charge him or give him a fine?

nope

moved to the RLP forum

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• dx100uk changed the title to Sainsbury/DWF - can i get later police Legal action for shoplifting??
  • Andyorch changed the title to Sainsbury/DWF - can they pass on his details to the police /Legal action for shoplifting??

not for £6!

if you read a few Sainsbury DWF topics here you'll soon get the idea 

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The honest answer is YES they can.

The fact is though, if they were going to inform the police they would have done it there and then.  If they contact the police and report it as a crime, then the person reporting will have to complete varying amounts of paperwork including a full witness statement.  Not to mention waiting on the phone for a fair amount of time to report it in the first place.

The store / security don't want to waste 2-3 hours of staff time for a £5-£6 theft.  Tell your friend he has been silly and to use this as his only chance.  I know plenty of security teams that DO call the police for £5-6 thefts.

LPG

• 2 months later...

short answer is no as that would be breaking the data protection act and GDPR.

and they

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/05/2019 at 13:32, SPARKIE1976 said:

Do Sainsbury’s have a picture board for staff to see all the shoplifters faces? Like a rogue gallery I’ve always wondered?

The retailer I do work for used to have a rogues gallery in a number of stores - polaroid type snaps not lifted from CCTV in many cases but with those detailed asked to look at the camera and watch the birdie (many I recall were smiling or posing for the camera). There were literally hundreds of photos on some of the walls with a summary of what they were suspected of taking written underneath. All disappeared a few years ago though and have never been seen since. 

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/03/2019 at 14:32, Losspreventionguy said:

The honest answer is YES they can.

The fact is though, if they were going to inform the police they would have done it there and then.  If they contact the police and report it as a crime, then the person reporting will have to complete varying amounts of paperwork including a full witness statement.  Not to mention waiting on the phone for a fair amount of time to report it in the first place.

The store / security don't want to waste 2-3 hours of staff time for a £5-£6 theft.  Tell your friend he has been silly and to use this as his only chance.  I know plenty of security teams that DO call the police for £5-6 thefts.

LPG

Boots do.