levemir

in between care homes - council tax

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 219 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

my dad was in a residential care home but became ill, he went into hospital on 7th feb [2019] and while he was there he has become too ill for his current care home to look after him when he is ready to come out of hospital

his care home ended his contract on 2nd march

he is still in hospital

somebody from social services and ageuk is helping me find a place at a nursing home, he is ready to go there but places arent readily available

so in the meantime, what does he need to do regarding his council tax? I assume his last care home dealt with that? perhaps he had a benefit for it, certainly nothing goes out from his bank to them

anyway, if anyone knows what I need to arrange, please let me know

thanks

Posted (edited)

home My mother went through a similar experience: moving out of her own home into a care home, then her health worsened and she went to hospital. The care could no longer meet her needs so we had to find her a nursing home before she could be discharged from hospital. Neither the care home nor the nursing home charged her council tax. AFAIK residents of care and nursing homes are not personally liable for council tax so there is nothing you need to do.

Residential care/nursing homes are one of the special cases where the owner not the resident is responsible for paying the council tax. The owner of a care/nursing home pays the council tax but that will be part of the overhead expanse of running the home. Residents don't pay it directly so you don't need to contact the council.

I assume that is the situation your dad is in? If he also owns his own home then that's a different matter.

Edited by Ethel Street

Hi.

As Ethel said, we need some more information. But my mother went into a nursing home and the council didn't expect her to pay council tax on the house she owned.

Which council are you talking about please?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

hello and thanks for the replies

I eventually got through to the council [stockport] and they have confirmed that he isnt eligible to pay council tax because...

A. he has not got a property, nor does he rent one

B. he is in the care system

so that will do me, I just didnt want him racking up a big bill while he was in hospital