Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • I very recently received emails from Lantern about a payday loan taken out in Feb/March 2008. The email refered to the fact I had been looking at Bankruptcy options and they referred to our 'recent communication'.   I was declared Bankrupt in July 2008 and this was part of that.   That said, they sent me the email out the blue and after reading the content of the forums here I decided to send them the 'prove it letter'. At this point I only replied via email and did not give my most current address, which has changed since 12 years ago! The email was from the 11th September. I replied on 11th September with the prove it.   They then sent me the credit agreement on the 9th October, some 28 or so days later - I guess they ignored DPA and all that.   I replied same day via email with the statute barred letter. I got an instant replay saying that they hadnt heard back from me and needed me to reply.   I replied again with the statute barred letter.   They have since replied to that email with a request to provide details in order to comply with the DPA - name, address, DOB, email. I have printed the Statute barred letter, included my up to date address and sent it recorded delivery.   Is there anything else I should be doing? SRA request? I have definitely not been in touch with them for 6+ years so its absolutely statute barred. I could send them the details fo the bankruptcy but I get the feeling they will be difficult about that - I cant find my copy of the order so I would probably have to obtain a new one and pay - I'm guessing they would be difficult about just giving the reference and date and court and sending them a letter getting them to get in touch with the receiver, so I think im better with statute barred for now?   Any help or advice greatly appreciated.
    • Is there a template letter i can send ? cant seem to find one ?
    • Page 55 onwards....   New section 78A of the CCA requires that, in most cases, the creditor must inform the borrower in writing prior to any variation in the rate of interest27. This applies to agreements entered into on or after the date the new provision becomes effective, and also to open-end agreements that are already in existence at that date. The effective date is 1 February 2011 unless the creditor chooses to comply earlier. 12.2 Section 78A applies to all regulated consumer credit agreements other than agreements secured on land and unauthorised overdrafts.   https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/422707/bis-10-1053-consumer-credit-directive-guidance.pdf   http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/39/section/78A   Andy
    • Hi All, Got defaulted on a Tesco CC many years ago. Have been paying them £5 a month for around 11 years, still owe £6K. Had Intrum take over this year calling me all the time. Anyway kept paying Tesco but in February this year sent Intrum a request for my original CCA, letter attached. Received a reply back from them on October 3rd, see attached. Just want advice on how to reply to them as they have just sent me a completely new set of Tesco T & C's, telling me I had 2 weeks to respond or accept these?tescointrim130219(2).docxtescointrim130219(2).docx Intrum reply.pdf
    • Ignore until a Letter Before Action, would be good to post up pdf of stills of the signage so we can zoom in on the small print, as that is where they trip themselves up.
  • Our picks


in between care homes - council tax

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 217 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

my dad was in a residential care home but became ill, he went into hospital on 7th feb [2019] and while he was there he has become too ill for his current care home to look after him when he is ready to come out of hospital


his care home ended his contract on 2nd march


he is still in hospital


somebody from social services and ageuk is helping me find a place at a nursing home, he is ready to go there but places arent readily available


so in the meantime, what does he need to do regarding his council tax? I assume his last care home dealt with that? perhaps he had a benefit for it, certainly nothing goes out from his bank to them


anyway, if anyone knows what I need to arrange, please let me know



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

home My mother went through a similar experience: moving out of her own home into a care home, then her health worsened and she went to hospital. The care could no longer meet her needs so we had to find her a nursing home before she could be discharged from hospital. Neither the care home nor the nursing home charged her council tax. AFAIK residents of care and nursing homes are not personally liable for council tax so there is nothing you need to do.


Residential care/nursing homes are one of the special cases where the owner not the resident is responsible for paying the council tax. The owner of a care/nursing home pays the council tax but that will be part of the overhead expanse of running the home. Residents don't pay it directly so you don't need to contact the council.


I assume that is the situation your dad is in? If he also owns his own home then that's a different matter.

Edited by Ethel Street

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites



As Ethel said, we need some more information. But my mother went into a nursing home and the council didn't expect her to pay council tax on the house she owned.


Which council are you talking about please?



Illegitimi non carborundum




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

hello and thanks for the replies


I eventually got through to the council [stockport] and they have confirmed that he isnt eligible to pay council tax because...


A. he has not got a property, nor does he rent one

B. he is in the care system


so that will do me, I just didnt want him racking up a big bill while he was in hospital

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...