Adeeeee

Probationary period extended

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 190 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi guys,
I am 31 and started a new job in Sept of last year (field service engineer)
My probationary period was 3 month and due to end on Christmas eve.
Within a few weeks of starting my employment, I received a letter that I was being called for jury duty for two weeks from Dec 17th and I informed my employer immediately. This therefore meant that I would be away from work from Friday 14th Dec till January 2nd (work shutdown from Dec 21st to 2nd Jan)
During my first week of jury duty I messaged my supervisor to enquire about my probation meeting which I assumed I had passed as nothing had been mentioned and no concerns raised, He replied stating that it would be discussed in the new year.
Shortly before jury duty I asked my supervisor how I was doing and was told I had nothing to worry about and they were happy with my performance so I didn't feel concerned.

On January 2nd when I came back after jury/xmas I was brought into the meeting to be told that they were extending my probationary period as: My performance had not reached a satisfactory level because they felt my knowledge base had not increased sufficiently and I had a few call backs from repairs that I had been sent to.
They sent me confirmation via email that it had been extended till March 24th and I was to have monthly reviews with my supervisor and was being offered more time with a more experienced engineer and I was fine with this.
I spoke to the supervisor a few weeks ago as I still have not received a review and would like to know how I am doing to be told that he would not be discussing anything with me until my probation meeting ( I reiterate I have not had a single review or any time with the other engineer as stated in my original probation email)

Over the past week or two I feel that they are building a case against me, being very awkward and generally offering no support or feedback.

My questions are,
1- were they allowed to extend my probationary period after the original date had already lapsed in December ?

2- Do I have any leg to stand on in my defence that I have asked for the reviews they promised monthly and not been given them when I feel they would have been helpful in guiding me as to where I need more experience?

3-Are they legally allowed to do this?

Many thanks
Adeeeee

Probationary periods are a red herring. You have less than six months service, and you  will require two years service to garner any real employment protection. So, unfortunately, they don't need to build a case against you. You can be dismissed for almost any reason, or, in fact, for no reason at all. I strongly advise you you to find alternative employment quickly if you genuinely think they will dismiss you.

2 hours ago, Sangie595 said:

Probationary periods are a red herring. You have less than six months service, and you  will require two years service to garner any real employment protection. So, unfortunately, they don't need to build a case against you. You can be dismissed for almost any reason, or, in fact, for no reason at all. I strongly advise you you to find alternative employment quickly if you genuinely think they will dismiss you.

I agree with Sangie - What field do you work in? 

if you were an apprentice or employed on a recognised training scheme (where the emloyer gets given money from the govt) then the term has some meaning otherwise it is just the misuse of outdated terminology. From what you say they are using the term to monitor and appraise your performance which is commendable but it doesnt change the status of your employment nor their rights to terminate it. This renders your other questions redundant