hillards

Enterprise, refused hire, not a big enough footprint.

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 234 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Just want to check in and see if there is anything further that can be done.

In mid February our car broke down, clutch went.  So it was taken to the garage and left with them to order the bits and sort out. It meant the wife was without a car for a few days. She works as a home carer and needs a car to get round to her clients. She can't just take the days off as the company she works for is short staffed and it could mean elderly people going without a visit, so no food, medication or whatever.

Anyway, she went online and booked a car with Enterprise. This was early on a Friday afternoon and she wanted it for Mon/Tue. They called her later that day, said she had been refused as they had done a search and she didn't have a big enough footprint with GBG ID3 Global, the company they use to verify people. 

Obviously this was very distressing. They told her she was not on the electoral roll and that she had failed because of this. On checking GBG's site it's correct, our household is opted out of the 'open register'. But she has had a letter from the council to confirm she is on the register. Enterprise don't want to know. 

We paid our mortgage off last year, she does not have store cards or any sort of credit as we don't want to be in debt as we approach retirement.  Enterprise have said they will only hire a car to her if she gets a credit card... She has told them she does not want, or need, a credit card and it would be stupid to get one just to hire a car and get herself into debt that way, even if paid straight off. 

We've taken this complaint to the CEO, but it got passed back to an area manager who has fobbed us off. She feels discriminated against simply because she does not have credit.  The GBG site says that the hire company should have asked for paper documents, but Enterprise say they no longer do this.  She went to another company at the time, had to pay a lot more as they only had bigger cars, yet they accepted seeing her council tax bill and driving license quite happily.

Needless to say, Enterprise have lost a customer. She had hired from them before with no problem and the attitude of the branch staff alone has put her off.

As far as we can tell, GBG's data is probably correct so no need to SAR to see what they have on file if anything. It's Enterprise's policy to take this as the be all and end all that has caused all the upset.

Is there anything we can do to redress this? 

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

Hi Hillards,

I'm not an expert in this field, I'm simply replying because nobody else has so far and I had a couple of thoughts of my own.

Enterprise are not treating you well, that's for certain, but as a service provider they're not obliged to provide that service. They are free to set the rules of their business, within the law obviously, and in this case they are exercising their right to prove your wife's identity prior to authorising the hire. I imagine it's a limitation of their software system that paper copies of documents do not suffice, probably because they don't have any way of entering them into their electronic system.

It's dreadful advice saying you should apply for a credit card in order to increase your 'footprint'. Apart from anything else, you might find you're refused for that too on the basis that you don't have any recent credit history. People of my parents' generation are keen to avoid credit if they possibly can but it's amazing the ways it can work against you.

One final word from me; clearly you'll be searching around alternative companies if this need occurs in the future, just be aware that many of these companies are actually one-in-the-same behind the scenes. For example, the Enterprise branch near my home is actually also the local Sixt hire depot plus one other I can't remember at the moment. Before making enquiries about the hire, make sure their premises are actually different.

Thanks for responding. I had a feeling we would not have any recourse against what can only be termed discrimination. 

There's no way she is going to get a credit card so will have to use a local firm who are only too happy to accept sight of her council tax bill and driving license, but costs 50% more. Thankfully it's a rare occasion she needs to hire, in this case it was due to a breakdown.  

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

now what they have told you is true, computer says no but that is nto the end of it. They make the decisions not some third rate credit checker.

What they really mean is that there will be no way they can just help themselves to extra money if something goes wrong without a credit card.

Now have a look at your insurance policy, did you ask for or accept breakdown cover by any chance? if so you may have a hire car as part of tht agreeemtn. Worth a look if you arent sure.