Jump to content

Advice on dealing with NHS Dental Penatly Charge Notice

Recommended Posts

eiDear CAG,

Can you please advise me on how to deal with a dental penatly charge I recieved?

The usual story: I thought I was exempt but I wasn't. It turns out exemption upon recipiency of working tax credits is only automatic if one is also in receipt of child tax credits or a disability allowance.

Instead  I have to apply for an HC2 certificate, which has arrived today and it turns out I'm fully exempt from all NHS treatment after all.

Nonetheless, I now have a £60 dental charge and a £100 penalty to deal with!

I have written to them and told them where they can shove it, and reminded them that extortion is a criminal offence.

I don't know if I have a legal leg to stand on with that, but it's how I view this and a complaint to the relevant ombudsman will be placed.

I can understand that if I don't know how the system works and I claim something on the NHS in error, without reading the small print etc. etc. then I've made a mistake and should be billed for the treatment. 


- I wasn't even given ONE chance to correct the error and pay the charges

- the emergency treatment I recieved was lousy and I am considering filing a complaint in writing to the dental practise. 

I am booked in for further treatment at my regular dentist now, who are amazing.

How do I deal with the previous charges then? Do I have to pay them and then claim them back? I am NOT paying the £100 penalty charge!

Can I write to the NHS department and ask that they just waive all charges now that I have a form for exemption?


Can I challenge the dental charges on grounds that I don't think the service I recieved was up to acceptable standard?

How should I proceed?

A straightforward situation where I thought I was exempt, should have been exempt, was exempt but a load of red tape and hoops to jump through nonetheless. Ridiculous...


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello and welcome to CAG. People should be along to advise later.

Are you one of the cases where an entitlement card ran out and you didn't notice? Apologies if I'm thinking abour prescriptions.

Best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been on working tax credits for 4 years and I had a check up shortly after I started recieving WTC (I think) and they accepted my exemption then and i didn't receive anything after that so I assumed I was still exempt. But check ups are free! I was therefore unaware that I had to apply for an HC2 and assumed any treatment I got would be exempt. So no, I have never had an HC2.

I have until monday to pay or there will be more charges, so I've emailed them again with the HC2 certificate (that they just sent me) and asked them to waive the charges.

I am also in the middle of writing a letter of complaint to the dental practise, and informing them that I will not be paying for this treatment and asking them to write to the NHS to ask them to stop sending me threatening letters.

Unless anyone has any other adivce, that's what I'm currently doing...


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well after a number of emails back and forth complaining I just recieved a reply from someone informing me that they are removing the penalty charge at least, but I still have to pay the dental charges (which I am disputing with the practise on grounds of poor treatment) and they have given me 90 days to settle the balance. So some progress..

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Please fill in your quit date here

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Tweets

  • Our picks

    • This is a bit of a lengthy one but I’ll summerise best as possible.
      I was contacted by future comms by phone, they stated that they could beat any phone contract I have , (I am a limited company but just myself that needs a business phone and I am the only worker) 
      I told future comms my deal, £110 per month with a phone and a virtual landline, they confirmed that they could beat that, £90 per month with a phone , virtual landline  they also confirmed they would pay Vodafone (previous provider) the termination fee. As I am in business, naturally I was open to making a deal. So we proceeded. 
      Future comms then revealed that the contract would be with PLAN.COM and the airtime would be provided by 02, I instantly told them that this would break the deal as I have poor 02 signal in the house where I live as my partner is on 02 and constantly complaining about bad signal
      the salesman assured me he would send a signal booster box out with the phone so I would have perfect signal.
      so far so good.....
      i then explained this is the only mobile phone I use for business and pleasure, so therefore I didn’t want any disconnection time in the slightest between the switchover from Vodafone to 02
      the salesman then confirmed that the existing phone would only be disconnected once the new phone was switched on.
      so far so good....
      • 14 replies
    • I was talked into signing up with Future Comms (future-comms.co.uk) who cold-called me to change my mobile contract to them, via 02, rather than EE. I have a small business (only me!) and it's a business contract. True, the 4G network is better for my area. This company seemed to be a marketing set-up for various telecoms companies, so I assumed anything I signed would be with 02 and didn't think it might be a problem.
      They sent an email whilst I was on the phone to set up the direct debit mandate with my bank which I signed electronically. That was the first, of many, problems I found. Apparently THAT was my contract, binding me to 3 years and no 'cooling off' period, because I was a 'business' (meaning any consumer rights did not apply). When I subsequently asked in writing for a copy of my contract, that is what they sent - when I argued it was a DD mandate they insisted it was my contract!
      2 days later they asked for my phone details to get it unlocked which I sent. 10 days later, EE closed my account, so I changed the SIM card to 02 that had come a few days before. No network! They had done nothing about unlocking it. Fortunately I was lucky with EE who managed to give me the right codes, rather than the usual 10 days to go through Samsung.
      By this time I was suspicious of their set-up and wanted to cancel. As I said earlier, I found myself trapped into a 3 year contract with no 14 day cooling off period (they don't offer that). Promises to deal with my complaints never happened, promised return calls neither....and on and on.
      Ofcom's rules apply to consumers and small businesses (under 10 employees), yet this shower don't acknowledge that. They just repeat and repeat that I am a business so it doesn't apply. To cancel the contract I have to pay the full 3 year's fees!!
      I would like to know if others have had similar experiences? Or does anyone know how I can maybe declare the 'contract' unenforceable? I have never before been locked into something without a clear written contract, with t&c's! And, yes, I have asked, and yes, I have been ignored.
      • 84 replies
    • Future comms!. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/415706-future-comms/
      • 10 replies
    • A shocking story of domestic and economic abuse compounded by @BarclaysUKHelp ‏ bank complicity – coming soon @A_Gentle_Woman. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/415737-a-shocking-story-of-domestic-and-economic-abuse-compounded-by-barclaysukhelp-%E2%80%8F-bank-complicity-%E2%80%93-coming-soon-a_gentle_woman/
      • 0 replies
  • Create New...