• Tweets

• I don't think I've ever seen someone appeal a mags court decision on fare evasion, JK, but as you say in this case TiredDodo has pleaded guilty. It is possible to challenge, as below. HB Appeal a magistrates’ court decision: Overview - GOV.UK WWW.GOV.UK How to challenge a decision by a magistrates' court. Including how to get a fine reviewed, if you did not know about your case, how to appeal to the...  
    • Update! I have now opened the mail from Barclaycard. I am assuming that their letters were prompted by my confirmation to them of my change of address, which I had advised them of twice. They are treating my change of address notification as a "General Data Protection Regulation Right of Access Request"  and state that I have made a "Right of Access Request. They are asking me to provide valid indentity documents! I have made no such request and am minded to ignore their request for extra information? I should add that their letters were sent to my correct current address!
    • Are you allowed to appeal if you plead guilty?   I know you appeal the sentence, but the criminal record formed from your guilt would surely remain?   I'm not sure if your able to appeal a crimianl record if you plead guilty are you?
    • DX: I did not pursue Link after I got the CCJ amended to monthly payments. Pretty sure the CCJ does not mention reviews, I do have the CCJ somewhere, I will have to look it up in storage. It is as mentioned on the thread you referenced  in your post #28. The Barclays loan was taken out in September 2004 for 60 months! Current Balance remaining approx £2K. On checking back my past correspondence with Barclaycard about this loan, there was a history of them ignoring my letters and offers to pay, and I even had problems in obtaining their bank account details for them to accept my payments! I have received strange correspondence from them too, one referring to insurance which I did not have. They seem very disorganised! Barclaycard told me to pay "Masterloan" a while back and I now receive regular statements and arrears notices from "Personal Loans from Barclaycard" clearly marked Masterloan, they changed the account reference number! I have never requested a CCA on this account. I advised them of my change of address last September, but they are still sending, until today, statements etc. to my old address! I have received 2 letters from Barclaycard Loan today though, not opened them yet!!
    • Yes, a few months ago. They wrote back saying there was no CCA and the debt was unenforcable. I then started gtting bombarded with threatening emails from their 'litigations team' which have been sent to spam. I've now recieved the letter before claim with the PAP form enclosed, but still no CCA or even a letter from them to say the debt is deemed enforcable. Thank you.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Vanquils I am confused

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1857 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Vanquis credit card taken out together with loads of other credit in 2009.

2011 His bubble bursts and he has to sort his short term credit out as they are mostly in arrear or will be.

Takes out a DMP with Pay plan, and they take over all these commitments, he just pays the one instalment to them.

Last year well into getting his life together and most of the CC are paid nearly up.

Strangely he start receiving notice's of arrears from Vanquis.

It appears that there is over a grand still to be paid.

Next thing they pop a default on his credit file, which by this time is almost clear.

I ring Vanquis who tell me that the account has only just been defaulted and the section 87 must be in the post.

She seems to think the last six years or so the debt had been under an arrangement with them and had never been defaulted or terminated.

They have just done so and hence the activity.

This is rubbish of course

I wonder if anyone has had anything similar from them.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Is the DMP still running ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

ah the notorious AP markers that never go away.

lots of threads here on those.

did he enter into the DMP before 2014 ICO guidelines changes?

if so they used to say he must be defaulted within 3-6mts 

we've had quite a few successes in getting a default date corrected.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank Andy DX

Yes its been re negotiated and there are about six creditors all CCs. All small amounts, except this.

None show on his report, except this which had never been mentioned before as a default, then appeared recently as a D,  The others dropped off some years ago..

He stared the DMP in 2011

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Creditors cant see the cal section

So the summary says AP or it blank?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

5 minutes ago, dx100uk said:

Creditors cant see the cal section

So the summary says AP or it blank?

Neither, it as if the account as never been with anyone else and has just been defaulted/ It is marked D.

From what the lady from Vanquish said. The account had never been defaulted in 2011, even though it has been with Pay plan for eight years together with his other cards. So they decided to default it last month. She wouldn't say why, just that it was within their rights to do so.

There is no way they can say this was an active account in that period. He had no card no credit facility of any kind, they were receiving a pro rata payment from pay plan.

so the word default is in its status summary field and there is a defaulted date ?

and they

https://www.stepchange.org/debt-info/dmp-and-credit-score.aspx

Its rather irritating when creditors default when they like and not actually at the time of the breach.......rather than follow the ICO Guidelines on recording default data and really makes a mockery of the Statute of Limitations Act 😉

• Haha 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Hi this is very similar to my thread. Please feel free too have a look.

On ‎09‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 17:27, shellbells1982 said:

CQ update/report the account to the CRA's 

They report failed payments so its totally harming my credit score 

Screenshot .png

Yes I think so too, in the case I have, they have stated that this is the first default on the account(last moth)but the account has been with pay plan since 2011.

We have to remember that the notice sent prior to recording a default is different to a section 87 default notice which permits the termination of the agreement. Although they are generally contained in the same document.

The point being that the definition of DEFAULT as far as the I COis concerned is the breakdown of the agreement. Surely if there is serious arrears and the card is withdrawn , the payment is reduced, the agreement and its terms have broken down. Not advising the CRA of this just so they can avoid SB by accepting a small payment, and to ensure they can default at some time in the future is not on.

Yep.. as the stupid judgement about sb being the default date 

and they

8 minutes ago, dx100uk said:

Yep.. as the stupid judgement about sb being the default date 

No DX its nothing to do with statute Bar. The contract was continually paid so it couldn't be. That's not the point

This is about kidding the CRA into thinking the account is still live, not trying to enforce, that comes when the DN (87) arrives. Which as yet hasn't. If this is permitted to stand the CRA can keep the record on file for another six years, how's that for applying unlawful pressure.

Anyway back to my own thread

• Like 1

well yes. its all linked, the stupid judgement gives a creditor the authority to file a dn whenever they like not after the third missed payment. so can run the SB date to infinity …….or never at all.

• Like 1

and they

On 10/03/2019 at 09:02, shellbells1982 said:

@dodgeball

I've found/got a bunch of documentation from 2011 of my ppi claim with HBOS/Aqua, sent them a CCA, calculated it and I did the claim myself. I 'won' that in Nov 2011and went on to win Cap One and Vanquis too 

Silly, but I'd actually forgotten that this account was originally halifax and until you'd said DX I could've sent HBOS a SAR in the 1st place. I just automatically went with new day.

@dodgeball

That's what I've been trying to ascertain too - difference between notice sent and an 87 default notice

Also, if you're on an agreed payment plan with the original creditor what's the 'rules' or legit reason they can sell your account to a DCA?

They should send a default notice if the default is to be shown on the credit file, this is often confused as I say with the section 87 notice which is required under the CCA1974. "They", being the creditor.

The creditor can of course assign an account, but he cannot assign a live account to a firm which cannot maintain the credit agreement.

This is one reason DCAs buy defaulted and terminated accounts.

Edited by Dodgeball

Sorry, just in case the point was missed. If the account is sold to a DCA it has to have been defaulted and terminated, which means a section 87 would have had to be sent to the debtor. 

No sorry it doesnt need to be defaulted to be sold.

needs to be defaulted to litigate.

• Like 1

and they

Yes of course DX, but someone like Lowell are not equipped to service a credit agreement. If the account was live they would have to be able to fulfil their part of the agreement.(provide credit)

A live debt can of course be assigned but only to another credit provider. 

I saw another of these yesterday. 

The CR reported a default date of 2014. This was actually when Lowells bought the account. The account had however been with Payplan since 2013 making the same payment to Newday.

Vanquis it seems are regarding payments to them made via a DMP as arrangements under the original contract, in some cases even sending the CCA required statements showing nonsensical credit limit's etc. This can continue for years.

I do not think this practice is legal as it means the threat of defaulting the account can be deferred indefinitely.

Guidance says that a debtor who enters a debt plan should not be penalised above those who simply do not pay, that is what is happening here.

They get around that even though they do not offer to extend credit facilites...as long as they have a credit licence.

Consumer Credit Register. ... This is a public record of firms that have, or had, interim permission to carry out consumer credit activities. Most businesses that offer goods or services on credit, lend money to consumers or provide debt solutions and advice to consumers will be carrying out consumer credit activities

https://www.fca.org.uk/firms/consumer-credit-register

The following recent thread may be of interest in which the Judge allowed the DN to be issued from the Assignee

I should add that until the agreement is defaulted and terminated the debtor is still contractually obliged to pay the original debtor

Thought I would add this to enforce what I was saying, just a rando google.

If an account is to be assigned, the new "owner" has to be able to provide the same service as the assignor.

A dca cannot, so the account has to be terminated(released from there contractual  rights_)and you cannot terminate a regulated agreement without first sending a section 87 default note.

Fundamental Principles of Contract Drafting

www.legalservicesindia.com/article/1669/...of-Contract-Drafting.html

The assignment materially alters what's expected under the contract If the assignment affects the performance due under the contract, decreases the value or return anticipated, or increases the risks for the other party to the contract (the party who is not assigning contractual rights), courts are unlikely to enforce the arrangement.

On 09/03/2019 at 22:29, dx100uk said:

well yes. its all linked, the stupid judgement gives a creditor the authority to file a dn whenever they like not after the third missed payment. so can run the SB date to infinity …….or never at all.

Sorry missed this. Yes  I agree.

I think the remedy foe this is in the CCA under section 140 as the Judge in DXs favourite case stated.

I dont know what an interim notice has to do with this.

An account must be terminated before a party can ask for full payment or activate an accelerated payment clause, you cannot terminate a regulated agreement without first sending a DN. Before the agreement is terminated he is entitle to make repayment as per its terms, remedying the FDN gives the same result on remedy.

I dont know about the case you mention , it may be that the DCA issued another DN in order to say they gave the OP time to settle, subsequent notices can of course be issued.  An LBA really.

I have had yet another of these , again Aqua, this one had a date of 2015, the DMP says ;payments were made to them since 2012, however the account was sold to Lowell in 2015. So the account was obviously defaulted before sale.

But it does comply with the fact it must be terminated before it is sold to a DCA.

I will consider what you say about licensing, Debt recovery is not giving credit of course and requires a different

class of license. It is an Ancillary credit function under the act. An interim permission is usually granted to someone who has an application under consideration.

might be better to do this on your own thread rather than hi-jacking...please

and they

On 14/03/2019 at 10:46, Andyorch said:
2 hours ago, dx100uk said:

They get around that even though they do not offer to extend credit facilites...as long as they have a credit licence.

Consumer Credit Register. ... This is a public record of firms that have, or had, interim permission to carry out  consumer credit activities. Most businesses that offer goods or services on credit, lend money to consumers or provide debt solutions and advice to consumers will be carrying out  consumer credit activities

The following recent thread may be of interest in which the Judge allowed the DN to be issued from the Assignee

I dont know what an interim notice has to do with this. An account must be terminated before a party can ask for full payment or activate an accelerated payment clause, you cannot terminate a regulated agreement without first sending a DN. Before the agreement is terminated he is entitle to make repayment as per its terms, remedying the FDN gives the same result on remedy.

I dont know about the case you mention , it may be that the DCA issued another DN in order to say they gave the OP time to settle, subsequent notices can of course be issued.  An LBA really.

I have had yet another of these , again Aqua, this one had a date of 2015, the DMP says ;payments were made to them since 2012, however the account was sold to Lowell in 2015. So the account was obviously defaulted before sale.

But it does comply with the fact it must be terminated before it is sold to a DCA.

I will consider what you say about licensing, Debt recovery is not giving credit of course and requires a different

class of license. It is an Ancillary credit function under the act. An interim permission is usually granted to someone who has an application under consideration.

2 hours ago, dx100uk said:

I dont think so, it is all relevant to the OPs position , unless the OP requests it of course.

I shall be making some posts over there shortly relating to the success I have had, my friends credit report is now devoid of any mention of New day or Aqua.

On 14/03/2019 at 10:46, Andyorch said:

Consumer Credit Register. ... This is a public record of firms that have, or had, interim permission to carry out  consumer credit activities. Most businesses that offer goods or services on credit, lend money to consumers or provide debt solutions and advice to consumers will be carrying out  consumer credit activities

Andy the section you quoted does not mean that a debt collector can act as a Credit supplier, not even an interim one, are you saying the two are the same.

DX, a DN is required to terminate an account, as an un-terminated one cannot be the subject of proceedings.

As for going off topic , I am just replying to points you raised.