• Tweets

• No I'm not. Even if I was then comments on this forum wouldn't constitute legal advice in the formal sense. Now you've engaged a lawyer directly can I just make couple of final suggestions? Firstly make sure he is fully aware of the facts. And don't mix and match by taking his advice on one aspect while ploughing your own furrow on others.  Let us know how you get on now you have a solicitor acting for you.
    • Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

45K Debt & leaving uk?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1856 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, I have run up debt on 3 credit cards to £23k and have a bank loan for £22k,

i have lost my job as the company cease trading do not have any assets,

no house and thinking of leaving with kids and moving to Spain as my parents live there.

I appreciate a lot of you will say I am running ignoring my debts but I have no way of paying back anything,

without causing too many of you to start having a pop..

.what are my options,

run and hope all goes away after 6 years as I have no intention of EVER returning to the UK,

will someone eventually make me bankrupt?

I am sure the bank are not going to be happy with £22k owed and wont let it go....

but if i have no fixed address in the UK.

.,.what will happen..

.I know they can chase you abroad but with no benefits

, living of my parents I cannot see any other options..

..I am truly sorry for what I have done but cannot see a way out...

should i write to all concerned and explain my situation and say I want to leave the country never to return or just go?? 

It will slip off your Credit file 6 years from default.  If they go for a CCJ that will be on your Credit file for another 6 years.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

keep a note of all of the debts  and as soon as you are settled in Spain give them yur new address so they can correspond with you there. The chances of them wanting to take the matter to court will then drop considerably. It wil also leave you with a big blank space on your credit files should you then return to the UK at some point in the distant future as the CRA's wont be reporting on your files if Spanish law is different (certainly the case for Germany)

My concern is what will the bank do in particular, the loan was unsecured and over £23k, would I be better off writing to them all explaining thatI have no job, my circumstances have changed and have since left the UK for good?

1 You have no house, so they cannot pursue a charging order, and make you sell what you don't have

2. The only correspondence you need to do, is provide your new address.  You will receive lots of threats, especially if they sell the debt on to a DCA. However they are powerless to impact your credit rating in Spain.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

While we normally are rather reserved about offering advice in these situations as we dont condone debt avoidance, the realism is that a lot of companies wont pursue you overseas as the chance of recovering the account drops significantly. 

Make sure you update all of your creditors with your address in ye olde Espana - Hopefully youll be okay :) 

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

I have a loan and have since lost my job, the loan was for £23k unsecured, although I am not a home owner (mortgage all in my partners name), I am now going to live with my parents abroad..

.what are they liable to do, I have no assets here in the UK,

will not return to the UK,

do I just send them a letter say my circumstances have now changed I have no job and are leaving the uk?

Whilst I am not proud of the situation I have got myself in,,..do not want to waste anyone's time chasing me  etc if I am not here

your last bit is correct

in all truth theres not a lot anyone can do

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If its for £23k they may chance it because its not just a couple of grand... But in all honesty it is unlikely. 

Id suggest that you keep them updated of your Spanish address and go from there :) 

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Remember that once you have been in Spain for 90 days, that you have to register with local Spanish authorities. Below pension age,  if you are not working and paying Spanish taxes, you will need to have comprehensive health insurance. 

It is ok moving to Spain, providing that you are going there to work and be able to support yourself financially or be lucky to have family with financial means to support you.

i have family in Spain and they have seen many British people in this situation, move to Spain for a better life, away from the hassle back home. But living in Spain, only becomes an extended holiday, with most returning to the UK within a year. They are then faced with having to go through so many hurdles. E.g. Habitual residency test for benefits, trouble getting permanent rented housing etc. 

I would suggest that you might want to write down a list of pros and cons about each option. UK v Spain.  

Have you obtained debt advice ?

l

thanks for the reply, but if I have no assets, car, savings, live in Spain with no intention of returning to the UK contact them by recorded delivery explaining that due to change in circumstance of no longer working, unable to keep repayments up and have now left the UK...what in your opioin do you think will happen?

Hi all, so a little more help please.

If I write to all my creditors explain my change of circumstance (no job) and moving out of UK never to return, can I give them a email address as a form of contact until I get a reg address? or do I give them the B & B address i am staying in abroad on a temp basis (the bed and board is free) as I do not want to give out my parents address as to where I will be going for good for obvious reasons.

I am just wondering what else I can give them, unfortunately I have nothing to pay as no assets and will be living with parents initially.

As I will be at no fixed address for a time would this be advisable to just give them an email address, the phone number they have will be disconnected any day now,

just wondered what was the best course of action.

What happens if they cannot locate you, ie no address and no phone?

Do I enlclose a copy of a channel tunnel crossing to say I have left with my children and its a one way ticket??

Hi doris22

What type of debts and rough amount ?

Where exactly are you moving to (None EU ) ?

Are you currently making payments to the debts?

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

ive merged your 3 existing topics on you moving as all the required information people need is already listed.

I suggest you might find it useful to now re read from post 1 again too.

Thread title updated

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I have 3 credit cards £10k, £3,700 and £13000, store card £1200 and bank loan £23k... will move to EU country never missed a payment, no ccj or defaults as been keeping up payments, now list job, no assets so not to sure what best to do in contacting them al advising my circumstances 

post 3 once you are settled in your own home

6mts to a year is not going to hurt them

and anyway there is in all reality little they can do.

and they

no what is says

simply write to each creditor with your new address in spain.

what are you scared of..?

and they

I don’t want my parents knowing what I have done. Can I just contact them with an email address and say I am at no fixed address? So sorry I know that sounds awful but I cannot see how these people will just stop as I’m now abroad... £23k from a bank and they will or can just not do anything? As much as I have done wrong the whole thing worries me as I have two very young children and feel these people will not let it go

Your parents won't know anything, unless they open letters that are addressed to you. Creditors will stop pursuing you when you go abroad because there is nothing they can do .  After 6 years it will even dissappear from your UK Credit Report

Thankyou, I do understand this but what I need to know is if I just give them an email address to use as correspondence is this enough? What can I give them to prove I’m out of the uk? I don’t want to give my parents address so if I don’t give this what s the worst could happen?

no

send the letters as advised

stuff and all

and they

As long as you understand the consequence of not providing an address in Spain, where you can be contacted ?

I say this as you seem reluctant to do so, because you do not wish to concern your parents.

The risk of not providing a valid foreign contact address, is that UK creditors go to a UK Court in your absence. If this happens in say 5 years time in 2024, they would have 6 years further (longer if court agrees) to enforce any judgement. So not providing a contact address to creditors and keeping them updated if you moved, can open you up to Court actions you have no idea about.  And once they have a UK Court judgement, they can transfer to Spain to try to enforce, with local debt collectors contacting you. 

It might be better to tell your parents, as they might at some point open one of your letters in error or in your absence open letters. Also if you have any phones registered to you or your address, debt collectors seem to find ways of getting hold of telephone numbers, so you cannot rule out calls being received.