Jump to content

Subject Access Request to Housing Association

Recommended Posts

I have issues with my Housing Association which has led to two formal complaints both escalated to the Housing Ombudsman, just started the second Ombudsman process now.  The Housing Association holds information which I feel is relevant to the complaint and would make the evidence I submit to the Housing Ombudsman a lot more robust however a Freedom of Information request but Housing Associations dont have to comply with these, which I think stinks but there you go.  I have researched this and feel that a Subject Access Request would be better for me as it is more personal data held on file as opposed to organisational information.  I have looked on the ICO website which states I can ask for any personal information including any emails, my personal file , notes held regarding my issues etc.  Before I put this request in however I wondered if anyone else had any experience with this re: Housing Associations or could advise me further?  Any help would be appreciated as the issues I have, have been ongoing for 3 years now and historically many more years before I moved into the property

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


You can legally send the Housing Association a SAR you do not have to break it down into specific areas all you need to do is simply ask for 'ALL DATA HELD' that simple it covers everything you want as All Data Held is exactly that no matter what format they have it in.

Check there website to see is the is a SAR Request form there, if so remember to write 'All Data Held'

What info have you been trying to get from the HA that they have not given you answers to?
(is it anything to do with the Housing Associations Policies?)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Amongst other things yes.  I have asked for details of two of their policies/procedures relevant to my complaint but nothing has been forthcoming.  I also need to ask for specific data held visits by members of the Housing Association to my property where notes were made, emails exchanged about my property and the works between certain members of staff (upper management) whilst discussing works following visits which I received no feedback for.  I need these as there were many inaccuracies following a visit to my property in the complaint response and I'd be interested in seeing any email exchanges.  

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

foi is the wrong mechanism for your personal data, you need to amke a SAR under the GDPR. They will have a month to send the data. you can be specific or just ask for everything they hold

if they have failed to respind for copies of procedure etc then you use their complaints procedure and if they still fail to comply you should ask for the details of the trustees of the association so you can write to them as well as the ombudsman

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi i know it’s a SAR I need now I just didn’t know what exactly a SAR covers. I’m putting in the request because I need information held in emails and other documentation about an ongoing complaint I have with them which is being escalated to the Housing Ombudsman for a second time. After reading the information on the ICO webpage it looks like like everything is covered but wanted to check. Is it information about ‘me’ or can it be information exchanged about  the complaint I have lodged and the property I rent from them as they are being very cagey with information 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


As I said send a SAR simply stating 'All Data Held' it is for them to comply with your request as Per the Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA) & General Data Protection Regulations ( GDPR).

As this is to do with a Complaint and you asked for Policies etc and they have failed to respond then you follow up your complaint pointing out that they have failed to provide copies of XZY Policies etc and you require full clarification why this has not been provided/responded to.

Due to this you now require this complaint move to the next stage.

Which Housing Association?

As you mention 'Works' I assume this is to do with Repairs & Maintenance in your Property. by the HA.

You may have already asked for these Policies but if not ask for these:

1. Customer Care Policy (not the leaflet)

2. Complaints Policy (not the leaflet)

3. Repairs & Maintenance Policy (not the leaflet)

4. Equality and Diversity Policy (not the leaflet)

5. Right to Repair Policy (not the leaflet)

6. Cyclical Maintenance Policy (not the leaflet)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Please fill in your quit date here

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Tweets

  • Our picks

    • A shocking story of domestic and economic abuse compounded by @BarclaysUKHelp ‏ bank complicity – coming soon @A_Gentle_Woman. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/415737-a-shocking-story-of-domestic-and-economic-abuse-compounded-by-barclaysukhelp-%E2%80%8F-bank-complicity-%E2%80%93-coming-soon-a_gentle_woman/
      • 0 replies
    • The FSA has announced large fines against DB UK Bank Limited (trading as DB Mortgages) - DeutscheBank and also against Redstone for their unfair treatment of their customers.
      Please see the links below for summaries and full details from the FSA website.
      It is now completely clear that any arrears charges which exceed actual administrative costs are unfair and therefore unlawful.
      Furthemore, irresponsible lending practices are also unfair and unlawful.
      Additionally there are other unfair practices including unarranged counsellor visits - even if they have been attempted.
      You are entitled to refuse counsellor visits and not incur any charges.
      Any charges for counsellor visits must not seek to make profits. The cost of the visits must be passed on to you at cost price.
      We are hearing stories of people being charged for counsellor visits for which there is no evidence that they were even attempted.
      It is clear that some mortgage lenders are trying to cheat you out of your money.
      You should ascertain how much has been taken from you and claim it back. The chances of winning are better than 90%. It is highly likely that the lender will attempt to avoid court action and offer you back your money.
      However, you should ensure that you receive a proper rate of interest and this means that you should be seeking at least restitutionary damages - which would be much higher than the statutory 8%.
      Furthermore, you should assess whether the paying of demands for unlawful excessive charges has also out you further into arrears and if this has caused you further penalties in terms of extra interest or any other prejudice. This should be claimed as well.
      If excessive unlawful charges have resulted in your credit file being affected, then you should take this into account also when working out exactly what you want by way of remedy from the lender.
      You should consult others on these forums when considering any offer.
      You must not make any complaint through the Ombudsman. your time will be wasted, you will wait up to 2 yrs and there will be a minimal 8% award of interest and no account will be taken of any other damage you have suffered.
      You must make your complaint through the County Court for a rapid and effective remedy.

      Do you have a mortage arears claim to make? Then post your story on the forum here
      • 0 replies
    • 30 Day Right To Reject - Vehicle Casualty Report. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/415585-30-day-right-to-reject-vehicle-casualty-report/
      • 9 replies
    • I am new here but very glad to find my way here and would welcome any input.
      i purchased a brand new campervan conversion from Hillside Leisure (175 miles from our home) on July 26th for £31,000 and, within 48 hours, during a storm, the alarm began to sound incessantly. We could not get it to stop, even after trying everything listed in the manual. We phoned Hillside on Saturday July 28th around 2.00pm. The young man who answered the phone said he would seek the advice of their technician and call us back, which he did. The technician told us that they, Hillside, couldn’t help, but that we should take the van to Nissan (the van is a Nissan) as the fault would lie with one of their components.
      • 42 replies
  • Create New...