New letter from Capquest re halifax credit card debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3857 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I have also had my Halifax debt purchased by capquest a few months ago... I sent them a polite letter explaining the debt was/ is/ and has been I'm dispute since October 2008 ... And that the Halifax have never produced a credit agreement.....

All I received was a ' we have received your letter and we are looking into our next plan of action ' etc etc ......

Hey presto, I ALSO. Received this letter this morning.. With no mention of the credit agreement...

I take it, they CANNOT DO THIS ???? Has anyone got a lovely informative letter I can reply with to show them am not a pushover ...

Anyone.?? Would be most appreciated ... Thanks in advance :-)

If you got a discount letter, then its 100% guaranteed to be a lemon debt. Especially from crapquest.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Dear James,

Hi, I am currently having dealings with a debt collection company regarding a debt that I do not consider I owe them. They are now saying that they are going to obtain a copy of my credit report from Experian and use it for deciding what steps to take next. Can they legally do this without my permission?

Lloyd, Essex

Dear Lloyd,

A company must always get your permission to check your credit report. When you apply for credit you will usually consent to the lender checking your report at various stages in their relationship with you; including at the outset to help decide whether to grant credit in the first place, and then on an ongoing basis to help manage your account while ever you remain a customer. Importantly, if a debt is sold on to a debt collection firm, this consent stays with the debt. This gives the collection firm the right to access your credit report to assess your overall financial situation and to make appropriate decisions about engaging with you and collecting the outstanding balance. Now, if there is a dispute about whether you owe the money in question then the firm should look into this for you and, if they believe the debt is actually valid, provide evidence to back this up. If, however, you actually dispute any connection with the debt at all – perhaps it’s a case of mistaken identity? – you should make this clear to them and they should take prompt action to rectify the situation. If it isn’t your debt then the debt collection firm should certainly not be checking your credit report. The Office of Fair Trading's debt collection guidelines dictate how firms should act in situations like this and if you believe the guidelines have been broken you could have a case to take to the Financial Ombudsman Service. I suggest you first try to resolve the matter directly with the collection firm and, if necessary, with help from the collection trade body by the Credit Services Association. You can get advice from their website. Importantly, any footprint registered by a firm checking your credit report to collect debt should not affect credit scoring.

"Now, if there is a dispute about whether you owe the money in question then the firm should look into this for you and, if they believe the debt is actually valid, provide evidence to back this up"

I guess I'll have to ask them to provide the documents which the Halifax could not provide me with ...