Rail Penalty Fare Appeal using ticket receipt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1856 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was charged £50.20 that is twice the full single fare for not showing a ticket at the barrier. 

I have a ticket receipt but lost my original ticket. Could I use this to appeal and if so, will they be able to trace the type of rail card used to purchase it?

I have a network rail card but a 26-30 one was used for this ticket. This is not displayed on the receipt I would use to appeal but I wonder if they could look up the ticket number and see that in their system. 

Thank you

No as I am just over 30, I have a network card. I guess I couldn’t appeal using my friend’s ticket due to their rail card selection. They never took any of my details but I’d rather not have my friend  appeal for me as that sounds wrong. 

Edited by bohemian23

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/03/2019 at 20:47, bohemian23 said:

I was charged £50.20 that is twice the full single fare for not showing a ticket at the barrier. 

I have a ticket receipt but lost my original ticket. Could I use this to appeal and if so, will they be able to trace the type of rail card used to purchase it?

I have a network rail card but a 26-30 one was used for this ticket. This is not displayed on the receipt I would use to appeal but I wonder if they could look up the ticket number and see that in their system. 

Thank you

I'd usually urge anybody to appeal as they have nothing to lose (however I appreciate that ship has all but sailed now anyway). However, as Honeybee has said, the whole idea behind having to produce the ticket itself rather than the receipt, is that tickets are non-transferable, and anybody could have been using your ticket. That unfortunately means the Penalty Fare Notice was correctly issued. I'm not judge and jury, however In this situation too, I'm reluctant to urge you to appeal, because you just seemed to want to pull a fast one anyway, and to be fair, got off quite likely.

On 18/03/2019 at 11:36, ericsbrother said:

you paid the penalty,  trying to claim back the excess charge will get you into more bother as you admt you used the wrong discount card to obtain the ticket in the first place.

I would let sleeping dogs lie on this

Bohemian23 won't be in any other bother as the matter has been dealt with. If it hadn't been paid in full, theoretically the train company could cancel the Penalty Fare and progress the matter to court if new evidence had come to light, but I've never known this to happen. 

• Thanks 1