Used my bf student oyster to buy a monthly pass accidentally, keep using it and got caught

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1853 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I brought a monthly pass using my bf’s student card accidentally and then I discovered few days later.

The reason I didn't realise at that time is that we have the same card holder and both with the ID photo facing down, and we both have the 18+ student oyster card so the charge for the monthly pass is the same as well. 

Then we decided to keep using it and make sure is only me (one person using the card), so we didn’t take any advantage of tfl.

as we are new to the country we didn't know the consequences of using someone else’s oyster would be so serious (eg criminal record).

I got caught today on my way back home on the bus, the inspector took my bf’s card and took my personal details, and told me the tfl would send me a letter to ask me clarify the situation.

I don’t think I am taking any advantage of tfl by paying less using a discounted card but I have seen some of the case on the internet and I am surprised by how serious of the consequences.

I am really worried about it now and can anyone give me some suggestions on how can I write my letter? Or having the same experience as me that can share with me how did you manage it? 

Also, anyone can tell me if I am having a high chance of getting a criminal record from this?

I really hope that it can resolved outside the court as I am an international student studying healthcare related subjects.

Having a criminal record would mean that I cannot get a job in this field and wasted my three years of education. 

Thank You and I really appreciate it if anyone can help me.

I have a lot of things going on in my life that I am already seeing counsellor for my mental health and now I am stressing out even more.

Anyone think that I will only be fined or being taken to the court? Any sort of help/advice will be appreciated.

I really wish that I can go back in time now.

Hello and welcome to CAG. I thought I'd left you a message earlier but I can't see it.

Can you tell us what it says you're being charged with please? The exact wording from the court document is best.

Best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi HB

I just got caught yesterday so i haven’t got any letter yet, the investigator just took my bf’s student oyster and my personal details.Hhe didn’t ask me any questions but just gave me two slips saying ‘Ticket issued without payment’ and i’ll receive a letter later asking me to explain the situation.

Should I explain the situation honestly as I mentioned in #1? or will it put me in a disadvantage?

I really didn’t mean to take any advantage from tfl to avoid fare, cuz I have paid the monthly pass and it’s the same amount to buy the pass in either my card or my bf’s card as we both have 18+student oyster card, and it’s only me using my bf’s card, we didn’t share it as we think it is ticket evasion ‘intentionally’, but I do admit that I am using my bf’s card in these two weeks.

Do you think I will end up having a criminal record for this? (unintentionally paid for someone else’s monthly travelcard and keep using it for convenience, without knowing the consequences would be so big)

I would await the letter from TfL

its an honest mistake and should be resolved without the need for prosecution.

excuse me for asking, but how long have you been here and how long have you travelled using our travel system in total

this might become a sticking point as it appears you have been here travelling for almost 3yrs and claiming you didn't realise this would be an issue could be difficult to put across...

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi dx

Thank you so much for your opinion. 

TBH It is my third year in the UK, and I have applied my student oyster card once I came here, but I seldom use it because I think using bank cards would be more convenient and i’ll only go out to town 3-4 times in a month, which is one bus journey or 15mins walk. So tbh I haven’t been using my student oyster other than my first year in the UK and i’ll always go for using apple pay as it doesn’t give me any discount compared to my 18+oyster and apple pay is much more convenient.

The reason I purchased the monthly pass is because I have a placement in zone 1 and i’ll need to travel frequently from Z1-6, thats why I honestly don’t know about that, I hope this make sense to you and tfl as well. I really don’t mean to avoid any fares that I need to pay.

I don’t want to make any excuses that I have used my bf’s card accidentally, but with the fact that I am seeing a counsellor now (for stress and grief), would it be helpful to write down in the letter as well?

no that's all fine and appears to explain things nicely.

pers for the minute i'd do nothing more than get reading as many threads here in this very forum as possible, but don't get scared of the stories that fail or don't get resolved as many people post on these issues and never comeback and tell us what happened.

I cant see you having too much bother getting an OOC with this one thus avoiding a criminal record though.

it seems a quite straight forward mistake and as you say, they've not lost out anyway . 

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi dx

Thank you for your opinion, I hope they do understand that I don’t have the intension to take any advantage, as I am few months away from graduating and getting my professional qualification, I cannot afford to get a criminal record by this silly mistake I have done:( 

Once again thank you for your opinion and i’ll keep updating for any news.