MrJohnW

Landlord giving details to Third Parties

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 202 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

My landlord is a social housing landlord.  This is the third one I have had and it is by far the worst.  Absolutely appalling standards  and behaviour from the contact centre and (mostly)everyone else in the "office" roles.  I have told them multiple times my phone number is form emergencies only and all contact is to be in writing only, they mostly ignore this despite repeated notifications. This is because they lie on the phone or in person.  I have video of the senior housing officer threatening my tenancy because I dared to stand up for the rights of my neighbour(at their request).  There have been a vast number of other issues but as I record all my calls I have been able to scare them into the correct action.  

I had a rather rude and demanding phone call from a third party who my landlord had given my private details to replace my front door.  I have no knowledge of this so I wrote off a complaint about it to the landlord. After a terrible response I informed that that I would no longer allow them to share my details with any third party without my express written consent.  After all, its my personal details and i get to say who has access to it.  Queue a rude response essentially stating "Get F*****D, we will give them to whoever we want as GDPR says we can process them in any lawful basis and given them to third party subcontractors is lawful".  I do not want them shared with ANYONE as I can not trust the landlord to process my data correctly, I do not want them sharing it with anyone else.  They can't even get the address on my property right and THEY built the property.  

What can I do?  

Hi 

Your Housing Association is being rather difficult without giving you a straight answer except throwing there
weight about that they can do as they wish.

Check there Website and have a good read of there:

1. Complaints Procedure/Policy (download it)
2. Privacy Policy (download it)
3. Subject Access Request (download it) 

Yes the Housing Association has to share data with different organisations/contractors working for them but they have to abide by the HA Data Protection Policy.

Your issue of them sharing the data with the contractor that was to repair your front door I am afraid the HA has done nothing wrong as they would need to share certain of your data with the contractor so they can carry out and complete the repair.

1. If a time say between 8am - 12pm to carry out repair is given the contractor may ring to let you know they are on their way to you and approx 20 mins away.

2. Contractor may be delayed at another job and can't get to you so they contact you to arrange another appointment.

The above are only examples

Now check there website for 'Subject Access Request' if available download it and ensure to ask for 'ALL DATA' and send it to them (they have 30 calender days to respond)

Next you make a 'Formal Complaint' (title the letter as such) in writing to the HA (ensure to get free proof of posting from the post office)

Do a brief summary of your previous requests on Data Sharing & phone Calls and you noe require full clarification in writing of the exact parts of the Data Protection Act 2018 and the General Data Protection Regulations the HA is referring to.

I also request copies of the following:

1. Complaints Policy (Not the Leaflet)
2. Data Protection Policy (Not the Leaflet)
3. Privacy Policy (Not the Leaflet)
4. Customer Care Policy/Standards (Not the Leaflet)
5. Equality & Diversity Policy (Not the Leaflet)

When you get the above policies have a highlighter/pencil and slowly read them (just think to yourself 'Did They Do That' if not mark it) this way you build evidence that they have breached there own policy and use it against them.

Note: by you titling the letter Formal Complaint the HA legally need to record this and is on file for the Regulator to see on inspection.

You must exhaust the HA complaints procedure before proceeding to the Housing Ombudsman/ICO

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I agree, you need to beat them with their own stick so go through their procedures with a fine toothed comb and then use that  reference as the basis of your complaint