Christmas Gift Receipt con?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2642 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just a word of warning.

I hate when shops offer these receipts, they make out that it is for your benefit as it saves any hassle when returing a present.

NOT, it saves them the hassle of giving you a cash refund. They will only give you an exchange or credit note/vouchers NOT your money back.

Be very careful if you do take these as it is only to protect the shops profits.

Always keep the original receipt too and offer it to anyone you have given the a gift receipt for so they can get cash back.

If I have helped click my scales....

Find my threads by clicking here

It's not a con though is it.

Since the recipient of the gift never actually had a contract with the shop you bought the goods from one could argue that the shops are being generous in extending parts of your statutory rights to a third party.

It also prevents teenage relatives getting cash refunds so they can spend the money on cigarettes :D

Lloyds TSB, Total Charges £900, Claim Filed for £1379 - Settled

Sainsbury's Bank Credit Card, Total Charges £90 - Settled.

Of course, you can't be too harsh as offering a receipt on a non faulty product is a gesture of goodwill anyway, since traders aren't obliged to do so in law.

It's also worth remembering that if you've used a card to pay for the gift in the first place, many traders (if you show up with the original receipt) will ask to put the refund back on to the same card.

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.

I must be missing something here. What is underhand about it? How is it not in your interest to avoid the hassle of having to send the same receipt to 5 different people so they can change the jumper you bought them. Legally a store has no obligation towards the recipient of one of your gifts, offering store receipts to allow a third party to make an exchange is a significant improvement over the statutory rights of the consumer.

Presumably store vouchers are a con/underhand as well because they only allow a recipient to spend money in one chain.

Lloyds TSB, Total Charges £900, Claim Filed for £1379 - Settled

Sainsbury's Bank Credit Card, Total Charges £90 - Settled.

I must be missing something here. What is underhand about it? How is it not in your interest to avoid the hassle of having to send the same receipt to 5 different people so they can change the jumper you bought them. Legally a store has no obligation towards the recipient of one of your gifts, offering store receipts to allow a third party to make an exchange is a significant improvement over the statutory rights of the consumer.
Hopefully your choice of gifts won't be so bad that all 5 want to return them!!:D and while I agree that it is not the law it is the stores policy.

Presumably store vouchers are a con/underhand as well because they only allow a recipient to spend money in one chain.

Agreed:rolleyes: , if they are happy to refund for an article of clothing within 30 days, why not a voucher?

If I have helped click my scales....

Find my threads by clicking here

You should also retain the original receipt just in case a fault develops with the product. Refunds for unwanted presents are at the discretion of the retailer who has no such legal obligations. Retailers often make a loss on the returns as they are not normally resold at full price but at 'returned goods' price.

BEFORE starting your claim read through the FAQ's and if there's something you aren't sure of then ask.

If you win, donate to this site

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions, some formed by personal experience and some from research. If in doubt seek qualified legal advice.

• 10 years later...

its rediculous to pretend that gift receipts are somehow the retailers doing us a favour! They are nothing more then a [problem] to reduce the amount of money they shell out on returns. years ago the sender would include the origional receipt with a present so the recipient could exchange it themselves for the full price. The Gift receipt came into play to curb that so shops only have to give vouchers. its is purely for the interest of the retailer and not the consumers!!! also rediculous to say that retailers make a loss on refunds because the returned item is sold at sale price. Its the retailer's own chocie to reduce certain items and so this is not making a loss. in fact retailers still make profit on sale items most of the time.