A question regarding probate and distribution of funds

EmmyJ
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1849 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am having an issue with a very slow moving solicitor who is the executor of my mother's estate.

In an attempt to be proactive I have just been looking on the government probate search site (https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills) and on there it shows a Probate Number and a Date of Probate for her will.

Does this mean that

- the probate process is now concluded and the funds from her estate can now be distributed?

- does it indicate that the process has been started and that the case has been assigned a number but that is it not yet completed?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give.

Hi and Welcome to CAG

https://www.co-oplegalservices.co.uk/media-centre/articles-may-aug-2017/how-long-after-probate-can-funds-be-distributed/

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

The information provided by the probate search gives the date of death, the date probate was granted, and a reference number should you wish to purchase a copy of the documents. It is an indicator that the estate is in the process of being liquidated, but won't give any information as to how long it will take before the funds are distributed.

Depending on how complex the estate is, it could be steeled within twelve months, or it could take a couple of years. As an example, my grandfather's estate took over thirty years before any funds were distributed. Long story, but it involved misappropriation of funds by the executors and questionable activities by one solicitor in the early days.

In your situation, all I can suggest is to make regular inquiries with the executor, but do bear in mind that he will charge the estate a sizable fee each time.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Well, probate has been granted to the executors, but the link that Andy gave you shows various reasons that might hold up payment to beneficiaries.

Is there a lot of money or assets involved or is it a simple estate?

HB

There is not that much money but the estate is pretty messy. My mother's estate needs to be finalised before the estate of my brother can be dealt with.

Am I correct in thinking that if I cannot find any details of probate for my brother's will on that government website that probate has not yet been applied for - or has been applied for but not yet granted?

Your Brothers estate ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Am I correct in thinking that if I cannot find any details of probate for my brother's will on that government website that probate has not yet been applied for - or has been applied for but not yet granted?

It could be either I'm afraid. Is there a reason why you aren't in touch with the people dealing with these matters?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

It could be either I'm afraid. Is there a reason why you aren't in touch with the people dealing with these matters?

HB

The solicitor dealing with all this has been incredibly slow and I am considering going to the Legal Ombudsman service but was trying to verify facts before I do so.

Thanks for the responses.