• Tweets

• Thank you. Can you tell us who replaced the rear brakes in June 2019? Who paid for it? One slight problem here is that the amount of money you are dealing with is in excess of £10,000. £10,000 is the County Court small claims limit. When you bring a small claim – less than £10,000 – then even if you lose, you won't have to pay the costs of the other party. Over £10,000 and you will have to pay if you lose. On the basis of what you say here, you have absolutely no chance of losing but on the other hand the fact that you would have to bring the claim on the fast track brings comfort to the other side and they are more likely to employ tactics to intimidate you with the spectre of costs hanging over you in the event that you lose. This is something to take into consideration. You have two choices. One would be to consider claiming for the refund of the entire price plus any ancillary losses. The second would be to claim for repairs. On the basis that repairs will be considerably less than £10,000 I think that I would suggest you go for that. This means that you need to get the car thoroughly examined and get a quote for repairs and generally speaking putting into a proper roadworthy condition. In fact you would need two independent quotations. You would then, with our help, enter the pre-action protocol which would essentially threaten the dealer and also the finance company with 14 days to sort it out or else you will bring a court action and without any further notice. You would only make this threat if you decided to go ahead with it. It's not worth bluffing. Both the dealer and the finance company will probably use all sorts of tactics to delay and to prevaricate. You must not allow yourself to get dragged into any kind of protracted discussion. You make the threat. 14 days. Day 15 – you send them the good news. Once they have the court papers they will then start to realise that you are serious. The finance company will put pressure on the dealer and someone or other will put their hands up. It's up to you if you want to get involved in this kind of action. If not then I think you're going to have a hard slog
    • Ok trying to move this forward. just got a statement with £260 agents fees added even though they have no collected the car! Am I right in thinking this is illegal?   Moving forward is it best for me to submit an N244 with the court to try and stop them taking the car and for these unlawful fees? Could somebody advise what it is I’m asking the court to do as I don’t want extra time to pay as the account is up to date but I don’t want them taking the vehicle because I’m refusing to pay these agents fees!   could really do with some help  
    • The dealer is MK autos ltd in Milton Keynes.   We know the car was serviced by bmw once, as we called to ask but about 2 years ago.  The car was brought for £10,995 but with finance cost total will be £22,000.. Eye watering amount but again we was pushed into a corner. I needed a car my mum has terminal lung cancer and I do all the hospital appointments. We thought that we would be safe for a while at least.   Again I forgot to mention that although the car had a "service" the rear brakes went and were replaced on the 15th June 2019..   We have paid so far in total £2260 in 6 months.   I am prepared to fight this!!  
  • Our picks

Hi all,

This time last year my gran passed away.

We have discovered this week after finally clearing out everything in the premises (extreme hoarder) that she was a customer of that lovely company we know as Provident.

From the mountains of paper work I've looked through, I have found 23 legible statements first one with a date of March 2008 and last one December 2014 - The oldest of the paperwork (extremely water-damaged) have the provident logo's and date Nov 1999.

We have counted every one of these and there's 121 (inc the 23 legible) - which works out at roughly 3-4 loans per year from '99! (statements seem to be 6mths each)

From the 23 I can read the total value paid back £32k - they average approx £800 each one & have an APR 245% (or around that mark).

(Agreements dated before 2013 £20k was paid back) and each time one was taken out there was a repayment within 14days.

My Gran, left no will - and my mom acted as executioner(?) though nothing official (except for Hospital letters stating her as N.O.K).

She was in receipt of disability / benefits/ pension for years - I'm 40 and I remember going to the post office with her to cash her giro when I was alot younger.. She never held a bank account - did'nt believe in them. the only time she had an account of some sort was when the DWP started to pay into a post office account.

I'm aware that Provident are one of the many being investigated for IRL & I've seen other threads where people have refunded PPI on behalf of a deceased relative.

My question are - and might seem stupid considering the length of time I've been on here (and successes I've had)

1) Where do I start - do I send a GDPR / SAR request to Provident - (is there any specific wording/template for a deceased relative).

2) Provident will probably only hold 6yrs of info, but what about the year's prior to 2013 where I have statements?

3) Is there a specific IRL template (for a deceased relative)

4) We only have a the death cert. no other paperwork - will this suffice or are we unable to go after them for IRL?

It has come as a great shock to see these, and to know that she'd had multiple loans running at the same time with benefit as only source of income. What made it worse is she said she was putting money away for her funeral and family - but my mother had to take out a loan (with a reputable bank) to pay for all the funeral costs & money owed to DWP in over payments.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by ads_uk

Hi. I'm sorry to hear about your gran. It's upsetting to find out that family have been preyed upon by expensive lenders, we've had this in our family too.

I think you mean executor rather than executioner. :) Assuming there was a will, otherwise it's administrator.

I'm not sure about sending an SAR for a deceased relative, there's another current thread here about that.

There's also a newish thread by reallymadwoman about the DWP claiming money owed by a deceased relative. I don't want to build up hopes but it's possible that the debt ceased when your gran died. It's worth looking into at least.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Isnt predictive text wonderful...

Ads i think with the evidence you already have you have some serious weaponry there to do provi some serious damage atleast but not limited too - Very bad publicity.

There are no special templates nor are they needed

Just inc proof you are an admin with an sar or write as one.

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

I think you mean executor rather than executioner. :) Assuming there was a will, otherwise it's administrator.

The status of executor or administrator would only be granted after a probate application has been made. If the estate is worth less than £5,000, there is no court fees to pay. For further information, see: https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance

I have my doubts that Provident (or any other body) would respond without a letter of administration, so it may well be worth applying for probate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

IMHO that might well be a very good idea

this case could go a long way.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Thanks for your prompt replies.

Probate was never applied for - going through the link in the above, the Inheritance Tax was never done (apparently) she live in rented (council) accomodation and had nothing so I would definitely say it's less than £5k

We are now trying to find the Will, so we can apply for Probate/letter of administration.

If we can not find the Will does it cause issues for obtaining the Letter of Administration?

We have found another 2 statements for 2007 both separate loans of £1.5k each -- it's mind blowing how they've took advantage of her.

Hi.

If there's a valid will you apply for probate and become executor/s. If not, it's Letters of Administration and you're administrator/s/

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Response back from provident:

Thank you for your email, requesting a Data Subject Access Request which relates to your late mother’s account with Provident Personal Credit.

We are sorry to hear of the passing of XXXXXX, please accept our condolences at this difficult time.

We have reviewed and considered your request and on this occasion we have been unable to provide the information that has been requested, as Data Subject Access Requests are only available to be made for living individuals as outlined in the Data Protection Legislation.

Is there anything I can go back with to request this OR should I just stick in the IRL claim based on the information I have got?

After their refusal to supply further information, I submitted the a letter in regards to IRL on my mother's behalf.

They have today acknowledged this, however as pointed out earlier by Mr.P they are requesting grant of probate or letter of administration.

Unfortunately, it's now been discovered that another family member has the will and are refusing to part with it as "they do not want to drag [my nan] her name down".

When informed as to why we require it ' I've spoken to the council worker [the relative has had help recently finding accomodation and filling in forms] and they say that their solicitors can deal with it all"

So I think we are now screwed with any claim and provident are wiping the sweat away.

If only you can pick your family.

spoken?

not by phone I hope?

10 hours ago, dx100uk said:

spoken?

not by phone I hope?

Yep.

This person is one of the named beneficiary of my nans estate - after she died they had help from a council worker to complete forms for accommodation, benefits and employment etc (my nan used to help him) - apparently this council worker stated to get all the information as they have their own solicitors that can assist - I do think they are under impression it's PPI..

Without the will we can not do anything, they also won't be happy that you have to send the will off to get Probate..

38 minutes ago, ads_uk said:

Without the will we can not do anything, they also won't be happy that you have to send the will off to get Probate..

They do not get a choice in the matter. They can always get the solicitor to provide a certified copy of the will before sending the original off with the probate application.

Do you know who the executor is who has been named in the will ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

13 minutes ago, Mr.P said:

They do not get a choice in the matter. They can always get the solicitor to provide a certified copy of the will before sending the original off with the probate application.

Do you know who the executor is who has been named in the will ?

I am unsure, but my mother handled funeral and I think she said was a witness to the will.

(No bank account, credit cards to close so this was never required before)

Knowing what they are like I can understand that they don't want to part with the will, as it's got my nans details and handwriting (he's abit possessive when it comes to these things)