• Tweets

• I had exactly the same issues.   Grossly over estimated bills from January onwards.  Despite what they claim, they are effectively taking an interest free loan from their customer base to keep the company in business.   They can dress it up how they like.  It’s irrelevant if they reconcile the bills the following month because they just over bill again thus keeping a rolling interest free loan.   it took two months of constant badgering to be finally moved to a fixed DD.   Once that was done I didn’t care how much they over-estimated by.   I had raised a query with the ombudsman over the billing fiasco and they readied a complaint should I wish to proceed.   I thought everything was sorted until May/June whereby I was allegedly more in debt then I was expecting to the tune of an extra months DD.   On querying it, it transpired that even though I was on a fixed monthly DD, because the bill was generated less than 5 days before the DD was due to be taken they didn’t take the DD.   They offered £5 compensation by way of apology but wanted to take two months DD in June.  I told them where to get off.   With appalling customer service,  bills that you need a Maths degree to follow, and I do have one and still struggled, inability to follow through on any agreements, constant gross over-estimation, the missed DD was the final straw and I proceeded with complaint to ombudsman.   Prior to getting to that stage I had to quote Symbio’s own complaints procedure to them to get any sort of response.   Their final offer to me was £25 goodwill and to waive an exit fee. The offer was derisory given the time it had taken to get things sorted and the continuing ineptitude.  Also, the whole thing has dragged on so long (5 months) I was already in the final 49 days of my contract and therefore there were no exit fees to pay and therefore nothing to waive.   Anyway, upshot is, ombudsman found in my favour.  Ordered an apology and a goodwill payment. Symbio appealed but were told the decision stood.   This week I received the goodwill payment.   I promptly left an honest and truthful review on trustpilot.   The next morning I received an email from Symbio with an apology.   This was followed an hour later with an email from trustpilot saying Symbio had replied to the review.  On reading the response they have accused me of not following procedure and of cyber bullying.   The company is a complete joke.
    • why not simply tell you supplier they have the wrong meter number you been paying for usage , and ofcourse you can view this online too so its not as if you'll owe anything you might get a nice surprise and find you are owed a refund.
    • The world of ballroom dancing went online to cope with the pandemic restrictions, but what does the future hold? View the full article
    • I would add, many companies have done everything possible to manage and carry on in difficult Covid19 circumstances to supply customers with what they need.   Continually making excuses for delays is not what I'd want from an installer and maybe the £100 deposit is not so important.   Get this deposit back if you can but, more importantly, find a local installer recommended by family or friends to carry out the works.
    • Hello all,   I hope you can assist me, as I am quite lost and confused at the moment.   Two years ago I moved to my actual flat. Throughout this time I have been with EDF first and now EON. When I moved in, my landlord didn't quite know which one was my meter and I picked the one that I believed was mine (now reading you I know I should have done a burner test..). During this time, I have been paying my bills and submitting the numbers that I believed mine, which actually agreed with my consuming patterns.   Today, all the meters appeared with numbers, but the one next to the one that I was using, which appeared with a different flat number. As you might have guessed, none of them had my flat number. I have just made the test and it looks like that one may be mine.   Now, how should I proceed? I have been paying bills is not like I wanted to avoid paying, but clearly there has been an issue. Could you please advice me on how to proceed?   Lastly, in terms of meter serial number, the one that I was using matches my bill and I guess my neighbor bill. The additional doubt I have is, who is paying for my meter and why are they still providing me with gas if no one is paying the one that seems to be my real meter.   Many thanks!    
  • Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

Southern Water/ Shulmans claimform - water and sewerage charges

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 286 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Good morning all.

Back in September 2018 I received Letter Before Action from Shulmans on behalf of Southern Water via their agent UK Search Limited.

I have answered 4 days after deadline to it by sending the Reply Form,

ticked box "C" I don't know whether I owe the debt,

box "G" and box "I"

requested copy of the Default Notice and bills for the time between 01.04.2012 and 08.07.2015.

I've sent it by email and registered letters to both Shulmans and UKSearch

The bill is for £1315.50

Since then email conversation started with UK search when copied emails to Shulmans they send me reply to don't contact them and deal with UK Search instead.

I received bills for the time requested.

However first bill from 18.04.2013 include the amount from previous bill for 01.04.2012-30.03.2013 which I believe is statue barred as it's over 6 years from the date they issued original one.

I did point this out in my email to UK search and requested new accurate bill with SB element removed

(I did not specified what amount or time bracket) and other inaccurate calculations removed

(they use full tariff instead of changeover tariff on one of the bills).

Then UK search have sent me same bills by letter this time with account on hold for 14 days to reply.

Date of the last letter 25.01.2019

I know SW have registered Default on my credit file in 2013 with default date 01.04.2012.

I have nothing to prove it as it is already gone from the credit file ( it has disappeared earlier then 6 years).

Can you help me with your knowledge and tell me, am I right thinking the debt is statue barred in part?

What should I do next,

to whom should I direct my correspondence as I dont feel UK search do any good job.

Some of the later bills are not proper bills, but print outs from their computer system.

Is this still valid?

Can I just point out I did not live in the property the bill is for most of the time they bill me.

However I have used it as my resident address as I was living away and had to have residential address somehow.

For long time I did know the bills where in my name, till they registered the Default.

I've tried to speak to them but they refused remove my name from the bill until I sent the proof of the new address.

Then in 2015 I told them I moving out of the country and they stop billing me.

Then the bills start coming to my new address once I have registered on Vote register.

Should I made a SAR request to find more info and if I can reduce the bill.

I am aware I let things go out of control in the past and for this reason I will have to pay some or all of it,

but I rather pay less, especially I feel they have not done things properly,

like billing me without my knowledge and not taking my request to stop billing me when I call them twice.

Any wise advice would be appreciated.

I rather do it without Court as I am about to buy the house and can afford to have CCJ against my name

Edited by dx100uk
spacing
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

forget dealing with the wolves and their dogs

talk to southern water directly.

if you were not resident at the address and it was only a Care-of address then odds on you might owe nothing.

who was actually living there?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I used to live there "full time", then I moved out as it wasn't financially wise for me to pay for room which I visited once a month only to collect the post.

People who lived there were friends to start with, but some of them moved out.c

The problem with Southern Water is that they want proof that I was living somewhere else, and I can't provided it as everything like bank, driving licence, car insurance was registered at the address and I was on Voters register there as well.

Once I get my name removed from the bill I know they started sending the bill to the person who was added last to the register.

What should be my approach to the SW and if I stop communicate with UK search wouldn't they proceed with the Court Claim?

Group of freinds. My name was on original tenancy agreement among the others who moved out prior to problems with water bill started. We never want to change the tenancy agreement as the price was good and our logic was to stay under the radar of the owner as he would not like the idea of turning agreement to HMO.

they've probably knowing uk search sent the same letter to all of you.

so they'll get +£1k out of each and go have a holiday on the free money without telling SW.

if you've not guessed yet

read post 3

these are a mass speculative fleecing exercise

as the other poster did

go ring SW, bring up the part of the sum is statute barred

then discuss the fact that you never actually living there it was only a maildrop.

from what I am told from information gathered elsewhere, SW are in the main clueless and not aware UKsearch and shumans have sent these letters out .

go talk to them.

and they

When they included 2012 bill in 2013 bill did they reset the clock.

Can they refuse to deduct SB part on this ground?

Is the print out from the computer system valid bill, should be in the official customer form?

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

they cant reset anything.

which ever way you cut it

you don't owe anything for any sum which is outside of 6yrs

and you don't owe any sum for when you were not resident there.

look in those threads I sent you a link too.

there is one whereby the supposed debtor rang up SW and got someone helpful.

they removed the debts outside of 6yrs and allowed payment using some help scheme for the small amount actually owed.

and they

Thank you for your help. I do read the threads.

It is uplifting that some people are successful in dealings with bullies, but as you noted they were lucky and get someone helpful on the other side.

I am rather to be prepared for unhelpful once, so this is why I am asking possibly silly questions.

I'm just in process of getting the recording software for the phone conversation and go through the bills again and probably write down what I want to get from the conversation as they know how to distract you and make you accept what they want.

Thx again. I will come back with the result or for more advice / encouragement.

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

good idea

don't forget one impertinent question...

you are also chasing all the other residents at that time?

so you are after getting +£1k each out of them as well, that's quite a tidy profit

and they

In respect of the change over tariff you mention these relate to measured charges (i.e. from a water meter) but if you are being billed from 01.04.12 to 31.03.13 this would be an unmeasured charge based either on the Rateable Value of the property or assessed based on the number of bedrooms.

Change over tariff in regards to the later bill. I don't have it with me right now, so I can't tell which year was it, however it says in correspondence box your bill is 210 ish pound if you were on full tariff it would be 277, but then at front of the bill they used higher figure not the changeover one.

Please note the amounts are just to illustrate, not the right amounts as I don't have the bill in front of me.

Ok sounds like you had a meter fitted at some point during the time frame of the charges. Did you request the change over tariff as you would normally have to do this? This is because a decent percentage of people moving to a meter find they’re paying less than before so don’t need / want this tariff.

No, it was by default on change over tariff, and from the bills looks like it was better this way as the metered bill was always higher.

I believe it was for 2 years since they put meter, one third of the new bill and two thirds of the old one for the first year and other way round for second year.

After over an hour conversation over the phone today with a lady who at least try to be helpful I did get some result but not expected one.

It appears that SW have reduced the bill for the SB amount, but UK search did not pass the information over to me, they just send same bills as previously.

The discussion in regards to my responsibility for the bill ended nowhere as I have no proof that I was living somewhere else not at the address in question.

It was same argument as in 2015 when they eventually took my notification.

There is nothing on screen notes from 2014 that I've informed them that I am not living there. It was noted that I called them to ask for help in paying the bill.

I wish I have come across this website at the time. I would have proper proof of what have been said.

It end up in advise to speak to UK Search, I know it's hopeless, and get the advise possibly from CAB.

at the moment bill is for 950 ish.

well you don't speak to anyone bar SW.

let SW goto court, gives you plenty time to gather what yo might need.

don't forget

its for them to prove you were there not you to prove you were not.

get that sar running before more info hits the shredder

and they

no harm in asking

and they

well you don't speak to anyone bar SW.

let SW goto court, gives you plenty time to gather what yo might need.

don't forget

its for them to prove you were there not you to prove you were not.

get that sar running before more info hits the shredder

They seems to think otherwise.

They don't take my word for it and all official records shows that I was registered there.

How could I prove I wasn't living there.

Ideally I would like to sort it out of court.

What you think would work for me in the court?

have you got the sar back yet?

and they

then await it

particularly with regard to the 2015 conversations and what notes were made.

dx

and they

good idea

don't forget one impertinent question...

you are also chasing all the other residents at that time?

so you are after getting +£1k each out of them as well, that's quite a tidy profit

No the other residents wont be chased, the OP stated in 1st post that they knew that their name was on the water bill

• dx100uk changed the title to Southern Water/ Shulmans claimform - water and sewerage charges