Erudio hounding me for loan over 26 years old, morally wrong

Flesh Gordon
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1858 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I've read nearly every thread here about Erudio and their bought SLC loans but not one ends in a resolution.

Can anyone help please?

I have three mortgage-style SLC loans from 1991, 92, 93. A thousand pounds each. I paid some off in the noughties, even phoned up SLC when I came into some money in 2006 asking to pay off the £1,900ish remaining only to be told they couldn't take payment because they wouldn't know how much was owed to close the account till end of tax year!

Around 2008 I began suffering from mental illness. At no point since 2008 have I ever earned above the threshold, but I dutifully sent in my deferment forms to SLC every year until 2014 when they didn't send it, and I phoned them to be told 'your loans have been sold, wait until you are contacted by them'.

I wait, I wait, nothing.

Fast forward 4 years and I'm suddenly hounded by Erudio.

I tell them 'in writing only', I tell them send me the damn CCA's, I don't acknowledge this debt. But as I've moved since 2014 and don't want them to get a backdoor CCJ I give them my new address and write them a long letter saying about my medically documented mental illness and joblessness.

They ask for medical proof.

I send them all my GP notes, I send them original P60's for every year since 2014 when I stopped deferring.

They are writing to me every few weeks threatening PAP letters.

I don't really know what to do when the letter before claim finally arrives?

According to them I now 'owe' over 3k (more than the original loan amount despite me paying it down to about 1,5 in 2006). They are now over 25 years old, when I was promised they'd be written off.

I am an honorable man, if I owe money I will pay it.

But the underhand way this lot are behaving makes me want to do EVERYTHING in my power to not let them suck their pound of flesh.

I'm happy to post up redacted any letters, or any of my correspondences if it helps, but does anyone have any concrete advice as none of the previous threads have gone anywhere.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer - it's on my mind every waking minute and seriously messing with my head.

*edited to say, after asking for the CCA's from SLC, sure enough they sent them.

All three, all my original signature. So, nothing I can do there.

But I swear to god at no point since SLC refused to send me deferment forms have I ever earned anywhere close to the threshold for repayment.

Edited by Flesh Gordon

ignore erudio. They have no authority over anything.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Thanks for the quick reply Mr Renegageimp, but my mental illness state is such that I can't just let it go - are you saying that Erudio with all my signed CCA's can't take me to court. If you can say that with 100% certainty then you have made my damn year and I will donate to your site right now! Please tell me this is true!!

If its not statute barred, send them the SLC deferment form and laugh at them. Plenty of threads on here with people in similar situations. Remember, Erudio are a DCA. Theyre not a company like SLC.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

I'm sorry to bang on about it, but it's the nature of my worry-head.

It SHOULD be statute barred (just)

I phoned up National Debtline about it last month and they said that my writing to them reset the clock by inadvertently acknowledging the debt, they suggested I try a F&F settlement offer.

But the two problems with that are

1. I have no money.

2. Gawdamn, I really feel Erudio are one step away from being illegal and I'd rather jump off a bridge with £2.50 in my pocket than give it to them.

That being said, I've ignored all the letters from them since I sent them in the mail all my medical notes and P60s saying "There ye go, no further correspondence will be entertained. Take me to court if you so wish muthafkkers".

They still write monthly with scary letters.

But are you saying I can ignore them as a DCA debt purchaser?

They can't ever do anything?

Are you honestly sure of that?

You say there are plenty of threads - I've read every one.

None ever has a pay-off or conclusion.

I'm grateful for your response and I'm sorry if I'm coming off challenging, but I really need to believe you when you say I have nothing to worry about and can just ignore everything from them forever.

Nothing would make me more relaxed right now.

I really need it. With everything I have going wrong in my life, the threat of a CCJ on a nearly 30 year old debt..?!!!

(*edited to say - and are you sure if I send them the SLC deferment form it won't be like a red rag to a bull?)

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

Forget what ND say. Theyre wrong a lot of the time.

Sit tight, try and relax, and other people will post here to help. Meanwhile, have a read of other threads. Remember, youre dealing with a DCA who will say and do whatever they have to to get your money. Including lying. Have a read, educate yourself on sme of the tricks they like to pull so you can be assured youre fine.

1st you need to separate the two entities here.

SLC and Frudio - arrow global a DCA and the original creditors SLC.

the gov't sold these debts on

your issue is you omitted to send the annual deferral forms.

now sadly you've give erudio everything they shouldn't have, they've no right to any of that info but oh well its done now.

the other thing you must always remember is most threads don't get an update as people cant be bothered to resolve their threads when nothing further happens to them after they've followed our advice .. pretty annoying really when most came here in such a panic and wanted immediate help..and got it!!

your early loans may well be statute barred if you have not deferred in 6yrs [regardless to writing silly letters]

no-one has ever been taken to court and sb countered and lost because of a silly panic written letter to a DCA fleecer]

what you have received is the std matured loan letter I expect thus demanding payment

if you read it CAREFULLY it doesn't say will anything.

pers i'd sit on your hands now regarding erudio...see what they do next.

send an sar to SLC and get your whole file so the info is readily available should erudio progress things.

oh and p.s throw the morality flag out the window...they couldn't care less

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

So Renegadeimp is incorrect? Erudio COULD progress things to court and CCJ?

I last deferred, according to SLC, (I phoned them in Nov last year when I first started getting intense hounding from Erudio and they posted me my CCA's) in May 2014,

so can't be SB till May 2020?

I'm worried now

lets clear up this court thing 1st.

they whoever you want to call them CAN do court

but

they have NO MORE LEGAL POWERS THAN YOU OR I.

they are NOT BAILIFFS

and have ZERO legal powers as with ALL DCAs/debt buyers on ANY DEBT.

however..just like YOU or I they can take someone to court if we/they think they are owed money.

you have THREE LOANS..

you weren't deferring all on ONE form.

so when you last deferred, you sent 3 forms?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

So Renegadeimp is incorrect? Erudio COULD progress things to court and CCJ?

I last deferred, according to SLC, (I phoned them in Nov last year when I first started getting intense hounding from Erudio and they posted me my CCA's) in May 2014,

so can't be SB till May 2020?

I'm worried now

They COULD but its rare they ever do

Hi Renegade & DX, this is what got me worried and made me post here today - When it was SLC I sent the deferment forms every year (well except for between 2003-2006 when I hit over threshold and repaid) Yes it was all one form for all three loans.

But this morning I receive in the mail 3 separate letters all from Erudio, each letter details each individual loan and the correct original SLC number for that loan. However, the amount 'owed' on each letter is the sum of the total debt.

Forgive me again if I come across as adversarial, but it's really messing with my head how someone can buy a govt debt for pennies in the pound and then 30yrs later, despite me sending evidence it makes me ill, they still hound?

It's probably a question for a different forum - but what the hell goes through these people's heads when they go to sleep that they deserve love, are nice people, feel the same hopes and fears that 'normal' people do?

What must they be like to do this for a living? I mean really.

The distress it's causing me.

Does it make them happy when they collect their paycheque each month?

I don't get it.

I truly don't

Edited by dx100uk
spacing
  • Like 1

thats sadly how DCA's work. WHat you need to try and do is take a deep breath, realise they cant do much, and realise theres a LOT you can do to combat their little schemes.

• Like 1

Can Erudio take me court and get a CCJ because technically I'm bang to rights?

If they do and I refuse to pay because I think they are a nasty, could they ultimately get bailiffs to break down my front door?

I respect your optimism sat behind your keyboard, but I need to know the end game facts here by just buring my head in the sand going forward because "someone on a website told me it was cool".

Bottom line - am I safe, with everything I've told you here, to just bin/block/ignore everything I get now from these chancers?

Please put my mind at rest.

Thank you

Edited by dx100uk
merge

I would keep hold of the paperwork and follow advice on here. If you have any worries, feel free to post it up so we can advise. Just be careful no to keep repeating yourself as it will make your mind worse if you do.

Can Erudio take me court and get a CCJ because technically I'm bang to rights?

If they do and I refuse to pay because I think they are nasty, could they ultimately get bailiffs to break down my front door?

I respect your optimism sat behind your keyboard, but I need to know the endgame facts here by just buring my head in the sand going forward because "someone on a website told me it was cool".

Please dont be facetious. Have a read of other threads on here and youll see how things work. Youre falling into the DCA's trap where they make you think they can do ANYTHING they want, when really they are severely restricted.

If they wanted to go to court, theres a whole protocol they have to follow and that protocol takes a long time to go through and you can counter them every single step of the way. And if it happens, be sure we will definitley help you.

Edited by dx100uk
merge
  • Like 1

Thank you.

But what you are saying is despite the fact I took out loans with the govt in good faith 30yrs ago, on the understanding if I never met the threshold for repayment they would be written off 25yrs later, and despite deferring every year by the rules until I phoned up in 2014 and they told me to sit on my hands.

Now, I could be on the hook for double the original debt because the govt decided to sell these loans to a bunch of (for want of a better word), and I'm now potentially liable for these debts?

What a wonderful world we live in. Give me ONE good reason not to google the offices of Erudio right now and go down to read them the news with my baseball bat.

I will keep CAG posted with my progress as no one else seems to.

Thanks for all replies so far, I appreciate it.

Edited by dx100uk
swearing

please stop swearing

numerous examples removed.

and they

couple of points

bailiffs have no right of forced entry on consumer debt.

dca's don't care and will use any threats to get free money.

you indicate SLC refused to send deferment forms in 2014?

have you that in writing?

and they

To explain: part of my mental condition is to be a bit paranoid so I looked at the CAG logs just to check you DX weren't a stooge - I see you are pretty much logged on here 24/7 and most of the advice you give is very arrogant and smug - so you are either a bot, or you seriously need to get a life. No one in the real world could spend that much time online without either being Rain Man or a computer? I hope for your own sake it's the later! Ha!

:noidea:

Hi, I've read nearly every thread here about Erudio and their bought SLC loans but not one ends in a resolution.

and reading all those threads didn't already answer your question above?

concentrate on fighting them. not those that have 123'000 posts, +12yrs experience in dealing with them here..

behave.:wink:

and they

Doesn't really answer my question, or my concerns, though.

It does though. Youre just asking the same questions for peace of mind. Thats ok. But some people will get a tad miffed if they have to answer the same one over and over.

• Like 1

Ragging on dx, accusing him of being a bot or a troll or having no life because he chooses to spend time helping people here won’t help you.

If the site team here moderate out foul language: it isn’t “acting like Hitler”, it is ensuring posts stay within the site rules.

It may be your mental health issues that is making you swear, but the site rules still apply to you. The site team no doubt would prefer to be helping people than moderate posts.

Those same issues may be why you aren’t being reassured by the advice offered. The answer for that isn’t people reiterating the advice, as if you didn’t trust in it the first few (n) times, you’ll still doubt it at some point for the ‘n+1’th time.

Get your mental health sorted. Get an advocate to act for you in these matters while you are doing that (which will help take the pressure off you too).

Once you have those issues sorted you’ll be in a much better place to listen to the advice, deal with the problems (& without kicking back at those helping you, too!)