PayPal fraud Problem

comebackjimmy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1875 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

My sister in law received what she thought was a message from her friend asking her to accept some money from her Paypal account and transfer it down into her bank then transfer it to her friend’s bank.

She received two payments from two different sources, downloaded £500 and duly transferred it to her “friend’s” bank account.

Turned out that the message she received was from a fraudster and the money she received was from two hacked PayPal accounts and the bank account she sent the money to was not her friend’s account.

I know she should have questioned why her friend did not download the money herself, she should also have questioned why the money came from two unknown paypal accounts and maybe also double checked where she was sending it.

All good things to have done but she is a busy working mum and acted in good faith and was victim to a fairly smart fraud.

Paypal is now wanting the money back and has set Debt Collectors onto her.

Has she got any defence against Paypal?

moved to the online forum.

nothing they can do.

a DCA is not a bailiff

PP don't do UK courts

forget about ignore everything.

PP's business plan is set up to absorb such fraud, its very well known and they do little to protect against such fraud.

they've not lost out as they simply claim against their business insurance.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

All good things to have done but she is a busy working mum and acted in good faith and was victim to a fairly smart fraud.

It's not exactly a smart fraud but relies on gullible people. It's a form of money laundering in which your sister's bank account was used to transfer fraudulently obtained money in to the fraudster's account.

The usual incentive is that someone like your sister gets to keep £50 or X% of each fraudulent transaction.

now as they didnt offer an incentive and passed themselves off as a freind then there cant be said to be collusion in the fraud by the lady. her friends personal stuff has been compromised via a dodgy email or link somehwere and thus it just appears the email was from her when it wasnt.

With hindsight she may well wonder why she didnt phone and ask her friend about this and I'm sure she will be wiser after the event but for now she should react to get the dca off her back by getting a crime number and pass it on.

Hello All

OP here. Thanks for your comments.

My sister in law is very honest and would never willingly participate in a fraud of this type and I would never seek advice on this or any other forum if I thought she did.

However, I don't doubt she made a couple of basic errors and learned the hard way.

I see no harm in reporting it to action fraud. My own experience of them is that they will not do anything except record it on their database, so pretty useless really apart from having the crime number of course.