Plusnet Broadband issues

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1901 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

We switched over from BT to Plusnet at the back end of last year, just before christmas and since the switchover, I have not had a decent internet connection through the WiFi since.

Background: The house is a large old property with brick walls so WiFi is spotty in some areas, to resolve this I have placed access points that are hard wired in where necessary. When the provider was BT there were no problems I could test with a cable or WiFi and the speed would be pretty similar. Since switching over to Plusnet the internet speed through the WiFi has been awful and I don't think I've hit more than 6meg when testing. The reason I know it is not a WiFi problem is because the issues only started when we switched to Plusnet and when testing the internal network speeds they are consistent and the signal strength is also fine given that when I'm testing I'm less than 2 metres from the main router so any interference would be minimal and the WiFi has a clear channel.

On top of that I seem to be getting regular dropouts which also aren't being detected by Plusnet.

I have been on the phone to Plusnet at least once a week trying to get the problem solved, they sent out an Openreach engineer and after doing all his tests said that there is nothing wrong with the line coming in. All plusnet seem to say is "they can't guarantee wifi speeds" which I understand, however when I'm literally sat less than 2 metres from the main router without obstruction and the speed isn't anywhere near the wired speed, I know that there is something wrong. Having exhausted all options that I am able to, I'm pretty sure Plusnet are throttling the wireless connection somehow which they say they don't do but all evidence points to the contrary.

I need a solution to this problem because it is causing me a massive amount stress.

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

K

hub zero or hub one?

gt and plusnet are the same co anyway

zero's are known to have wi-fi issues to existing repeaters etc,

if you have a hub one

make sure you use/repeat the faster of the two dual band signals not the low speed one which is limited/throttled

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

hub zero or hub one?

gt and plusnet are the same co anyway

zero's are known to have wi-fi issues to existing repeaters etc,

if you have a hub one

make sure you use/repeat the faster of the two dual band signals not the low speed one which is limited/throttled

Forgot to mention. I started out with the Plusnet Hub One and then switched over to the old BT Smart Hub 6. I'm not using repeaters, I'm using hardwired access points. I've checked everything on the internal network and the issue is not internal. It is 100% Plusnet but have no idea what they are doing to throttle the speed transmitted via WiFi.

They cant throttle speed via WIFI. Simple...

They are unable to detect whether a device is connected over Wireless or Hard Wired into a connection. The router handles all that with a separate radio inside the Router for Wireless.

If you are using hardwired access points - are they hardwired into the Ethernet ports on the back or are they powerline?

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

They cant throttle speed via WIFI. Simple...

They are unable to detect whether a device is connected over Wireless or Hard Wired into a connection. The router handles all that with a separate radio inside the Router for Wireless.

If you are using hardwired access points - are they hardwired into the Ethernet ports on the back or are they powerline?

I would have thought so to and actually thought throttling was a thing of the past. Given my current situation, there is literally nothing else I can think that would be causing the problem. Two different routers are giving the exact same results. If the problem with the Plusnet router then it would have stopped when I switched back to the BT router. I find it improbable there is an issue with the hardware given there were no problems until the broadband was switched over to Plusnet.

The WiFi signal is actually fine and stable because I have checked that with an Analyser app. The problem is the internet speed coming through.

The access points are hardwired via CAT 6. When I test the speed with a cable plugged into the access point I get the higher speeds. If the problem was with the router then the speed being transmitted from the Access points WiFi would be the higher speed that goes into it via the CAT 6 instead I'm getting a low speed.

What sort of product are you on?

FTTC / FTTP?

80:20 / 40:10?

When you connect a device Hardwired into the router and do a speed test - How does it compare to what speeds were supplied to you at POS by Plusnet?

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

What sort of product are you on?

FTTC / FTTP?

80:20 / 40:10?

When you connect a device Hardwired into the router and do a speed test - How does it compare to what speeds were supplied to you at POS by Plusnet?

It is FTTC 80:20. When connected via cable the test comes in at 58 meg which is above the point of sale speed. Which means technically Plusnet are fulfilling there end of the bargain however they are most definitely doing something which is affecting the speeds that come through via the WiFi because all other options have been exhausted. I just need a solution to get this resolved.

Thanks

When using InSSIDer - How much interference do you get from neighbouring Points including your own?

I use WiFi Analyser on Android and the WiFi analysis come back clean. Is InSSIDer better or different? The WiFi Transmitters are pretty far apart also the WiFi signal strength is always full and the WiFi connection doesn't actually drop, I can still be connected to WiFi but not connected to internet.