Private Purchase Of Car & Proof Of Ownership.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1904 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys

I bought a car privately for £1500 cash for my girlfriend to use. She will be the registered keeper as this also makes the insurance cheaper. She will be the registered keeper and main and only user of the car.

I withdrew the cash from my bank account and bought the car without any kind of receipt. How can i prove ownership in the event of a break up and i want to keep this car that i paid for?

My girlfriend is aware of this so im not doing anything sneaky. If necessary i could ask the previous owner for a written receipt.

thanks

The previous owner is the only person who could give you a receipt confirming it was you who bought the car. A break up isn't the only time proof that you own the vehicle could be useful. Suppose your girlfriend got into debt and bailiffs wanted to seize the car unless she could prove it wasn't hers?

The AA have a template wording that can be used for private sales http://www.theaa.com/car-buying/buyers-sellers-contracts

Ethel - many thanks for your reply and for the link. Thats a good point you make about the bailiffs although i hope that never happens too. The template on the AA site looks ideal and i will ask the previous owner to complete this and send it to me. Many thanks.

Sounds like the best way. That AA receipt is designed to be signed by both of you though. Ideally if you can both get together and both sign both copies. If that's not practical at least send the seller 2 copies, both signed by you, and he signs one and sends it back to you. It's protection for the seller too. If he needs to prove he doesn't own the vehicle!

ploddertom many thanks for your reply, that's great advice too. Ill do this too ;)

The seller has hand written me a receipt with the necessary details on it and he is sending it to me. Ill hold onto this plus the bank statement. cheers guys