Received TfL letter for using sister's travel pass

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1806 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Going back to the letter, I have some comments.

In the first paragraph, duly is misspelt. In the second, en route is two words. And rather than saying you're happy to pay the fine and so on, I still think it's better to ask them if they will allow you to, as I said before.

You need to end the letter Yours sincerely, assuming you have someone's name at the beginning.

Something's gone wrong with the paragraph spacing but that's not too hard to rectify.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Leaving gateline at the end of journey.

2)Uniformed individual.

3) Caution was recited.

4) Late afternoon.

My best guess is targeted op on an area noted for high abuse.

Hi dx,

It was not while going for work but while returning. I used the pass while going for work, I was unable to make one while returning as the station only had self service ticketing machines, I could have bought a full ticket, which I did not (my fault). I was asked to produce the pass at the end of the journey when returning home. There was a team of uniform individuals.

Thank you for improving my letter dx. I'm sorry for not being clear from the beginning and causing you extra trouble.

Edited by dx100uk
merge

I’d revisit the letter.

Mentioning 4 am has become irrelevant if you were stopped late afterwards on your way back from work.

Mentioning how you were late for work also sounds hollow if you were finished work and returning home.

The problem with you having not revealed this is that you gave the impression this was all early a.m. and a mistake.

It is at best a series of mistakes (including not buying a ticket in the afternoon, even a single to get you to somewhere you could buy a pass), and it will look to TfL that you are just looking for excuses, diminishing any apparent contrition.

Who could blame them for thinking “he’s not really sorry. We don’t think it is a series of mistakes, though we don’t have to prove he intended to fare dodge” (if they use Byelaws rather than a s5 RRA 1889 prosecution).

Why it matters if they THINK it was a mistake or deliberate is not if you’ll be found guilty or not, but regarding if they might choose not to prosecute!

Sending them a letter saying you were rushing, and late for a 4 am start, distracted because you had to give a presentation; when in fact you were on the way home from work, will just have them saying “he’s taking the rise!”

Dear mr xxxx [use his name from the letter they sent you on the xx jan]

thank you for your letter dated xx January 2019, the contents of which are dulely noted.

Having since sought out appropriate advise, i have come to the realisation that my own understanding upon the seriousness of using someone else's pass was somewhat flawed.Mine had expired, I used my sisters valid pass, which was wrong on my part and I am shameful about not accepting this before.

I now fully understand that using someone else’s pass is a serious criminal offence and would never think of doing it again.

I have recently started working my dream job in the IT sector after completing a 3yrs degree.

The nature of my work sees me start shift at 4:00 a.m. and an Airport ID is required to access any all areas, a criminal record will lead to this being withdrawn and would hinder my chances of continuing working in my career and doing what I love. Therefore, I am sincerely hoping you will allow me to resolve this matter out of court.

I apologise profusely for my actions in this case.

I pride myself on my integrity and honesty and I feel shameful for my actions.

I wish to apologise to the member of staff concerned and to TFL, I am just so sorry for my actions and the inconvenience caused to all involved.

I am happy to make immediate payment of any unpaid fare and all the reasonable costs that my actions have caused and avoid a criminal record thereby allowing me to protect my good name.

I have never been in trouble with the law in the past and I am very sorry that my stupid misunderstanding has lead to this situation now.

Again, I can assure you that I will always ensure to hold a valid pass of my own on any future journeys.

I would appreciate your consideration and I sincerely hope that you can show some leniency in this matter.

I have made amendments to the letter.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I received another letter today. At the end it reads

“ your mitigation has been taken into account, however this case will proceed in line with our Enforcement policy and further legal action may be brought against you”.

How do I reply to this?

Please assist if you can

Thanks

MAY.

you wait now to see if you get a court letter.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

May not do anything..

Doesn't say will anywhere..

Wait and see

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

No they will follow the std policy ..

May result in court...

The policy might say in this instance do....

Only they know

and they

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone.

Today I have received a Single Justice Procedure Notice. 

I have 3 options 

1. Plead guilty under the SJP.

2. Plead guilty in court.

3. Plead not guilty.

I am planning to choose the second one. I have a problem, I will be out of the country from 25th April to 18th May. What happens if I get a hearing during this dates? How do I tell this to the court?

I have been charged under Byelaw 17(1). I am also trying to get it settled out of court. 

Could someone please advice?

Hi Honeybee,

I called the court and they said I could write to them about my dates when submitting the plea. 

There will be no one in my house, as we are all going on a family holiday abroad.

Do I write to TFL now? Or just plead guilty by post and try to settle OOC at the court?

Thanks

IMHO id do both.

and they