• Tweets

• Email and call your local councillor, their details should be on Google.  Just explain everything to them and they will have the bailiffs off your back in short order.   Do it now, and this could be resolved by tomorrow.  
    • Your latest ramblings make no sense in relation to the issue (which is whether a person hearing an SD can question the maker as to its truthfulness and reject the declaration if they are not satisfied as such).     It's not within 21 days of the hearing it's within 21 days of learning of the conviction of which they were unaware. I don't know what it is you are reading or are referring to but there is no "debtor" involved in an SD that is made to have a conviction set aside. When an SD is heard in court the only officers involved are the court's Legal Advisor and the Magistrates themselves.   I’ve just been looking back at the original post which started all this off to ensure I wasn’t going mad. I’m pleased to say I don’t think I am. Instead I am of the opinion that you did not properly grasp what originally happened to the OP and compounded that by providing incorrect, misleading and confusing advice whilst plucking bits of irrelevant legislation from thin air randomly when you commented. Here’s a few of your quotes and my comments for you to consider.     The OP said no such thing. She said she had moved three years earlier. For some reason unknown, her change of address was not recorded by the DVLA. She said she was happy to accept the speeding allegation. This indicated she was driving (a fact she confirmed absolutely soon afterwards). Nowhere did she ever say she was not the owner of the vehicle at the relevant time.         So, from advice to plead Not Guilty to advice to plead Guilty inside two hours, with no new or additional information provided. Still you mention somebody else being the driver.         What is an “out of time statement” and where and when was one ever mentioned?     Then from the OP:       Your response:       The cause of any confusion was your comments. She said from the outset that she did not live at her old address when the offence was committed (in fact she went to some lengths to explain that was why she did not receive the court papers). Nowhere did she suggest she was not the driver nor that she could not or would not disclose who was.     No it isn’t. A Statutory Declaration voids the original conviction as if it never happened. Section 142 of the Magistrates’ Court Act is not involved with the resurrection of proceedings following an SD. That Section grants the Magistrates powers to re-open cases to rectify mistakes, etc. There has been no mistake here, the Magistrates will not be called upon to re-open the case and could not prevent it being revisited even if they wanted to.   Then we set off into the intricacies of the Statutory Declaration process which is covered above.   I’m not surprised the OP in this particular case became confused. Her matter is straightforward enough (for those who know the law and the process). In summary: She moved; She thought the DVLA had her vehicle registered at her new address but they hadn’t; Her vehicle (with her driving) was detected speeding; She (unsurprisingly) did not receive the notification of that offence or the request for driver’s details; She obviously didn’t reply to that request, she was prosecuted for it, convicted in her absence and without her knowledge.   Happens every day and simple to deal with.   Unfortunately, not when you became involved it isn't. Firstly you grasped the wrong end of the stick by assuming she was not the owner and/or the driver. You advised her to plead Not Guilty on that basis. Then, when you had grasped some idea of what had really happened you suggested she plead guilty to the S172 offence purely on the basis she had moved and the speeding information was sent to her old address. Very poor advice. Then you scared her witless by incorrectly suggesting there was a chance her SD would be rejected if it was thought her declaration may be untruthful. There also followed discussions about the six month time limit for prosecutions and the 21 day limit for SDs to be accepted unconditionally (both totally irrelevant).   I don’t suppose you will accept any of these criticisms but whether you do or not you clearly caused the OP considerable confusion and probably distress. My comments are not based on something I've heard on the net or on barroom (sic) knowledge. They are based on my knowledge of the law and of Magistrates' Court procedures.  It's obvious you will pay no heed to me so when I see any such clearly misleading information provided to an OP by you in this section in future I will simply report it to the site's administrators.
    • Just ignore unless you receive a PAP letter.    Chances are you will run out the clock and it will become SB'd.    
    • Sure I read somewhere that PayPal MADE 2.2 billion dollars in 2018, so I guess losing out on say 10 million a year in negative balance is more cost effective than paying tax in the UK?  Dont get me wrong I’m by no means saying “sod it” they can afford it, I’m just hoping they don’t take me to the cleaners and at least give me time. 
    • I apologise profusely for my actions in this case. I pride myself on my integrity and honesty and I feel shameful for my moment of very poor judgement. As the sole income earner for the family (my wife is on maternity leave), a criminal record would be devastating for us as my employment relies upon a clean criminal record.   On the 22nd I was travelling to London Bridge and needed to connect at Three Bridges. When purchasing my ticket in the morning I only bought a ticket to Three Bridges by mistake.   I made a bad error and I am just so sorry for my actions and the inconvenience caused to all involved.   I am happy to make immediate payment of the unpaid fare and any incurred costs that my mistake have caused.   I would appreciate your consideration and I sincerely hope that you can show some leniency as an criminal conviction would impact my employment and ultimately being able to provide for my family.   Regards   I cant offer to get a monthly ir annual as I only travel a handful of times per year.
  • Our picks

Moradin

Startline motor finance - Failed DD charges. **WON - REMOVED**

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 268 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Have a car hp agreement, regulated by the CCA 1974

Had a dd bounce. just checked the conditions.. and its stating

25 for a bounced dd,

AND

15 for a letter.

Surely, they can't do both.. the costs are supposed to be 'reasonable' and a true reflection of the costs for a failed dd

cant charge anything

its a penalty and the FCA deem them unlawful and unfair

who?

Thread title amended

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

thanks.. is there any guidance i send them when they send me a letter ?

Startline motor finance..

25 unpaid dd

15 letter

15 per phone call

look in the FCA conc rules...iike…

"CONC 7.7.5

01/04/2014

FCA

A firm must not impose charges on customers in default or arrears difficulties unless the charges are no higher than necessary to cover the reasonable costs of the firm."

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

spreadsheets 

look in the FCA conc rules...iike…

"CONC 7.7.5

01/04/2014

FCA

A firm must not impose charges on customers in default or arrears difficulties unless the charges are no higher than necessary to cover the reasonable costs of the firm."

Doesn't that slightly contradict what you said earlier in the thread about not being able to charge anything?

I agree that the actual charges in this case seem to be massively excessive and probably easily challenged, but generally speaking if a firm can prove or justify what their reasonable costs are then they wouldn't seem to be in breach of any rules, or am I missing something?

courts have decided that it is reasonable to charge a fiver for a letter as long as it was necessary to send that letter. Now if they are sending out so called reminders for stuff they have already charged for that is called churning and is against the rules so cant even charge a fiver for that.

bounced dd? costs them about a quid if anything.

Edited by Andyorch
typos

courts have decided that it is reasonable to charge a fiver for a letter as long as it was necessary to send that letter. Now if they are sending out so called reminders for stuff they have already charged for that is called churning and is against the rules so cant even charge a fiver for that.

bounced dd? costs them about a quid if anything.

Thanks for the info guys.

They wrote to me stating they would add the charges to the direct debit, i wrote back saying that the charges were excessive and i would not be paying them, in this case, they didnt actually need to send me a letter, because i phoned them the next morning after the dd failed, asking for manual

sort code and account. so their money was no more than about 12 hours late.

So cancelled the direct debit and told them i would pay it manually each month.

Update on this.. just received an email.. asking for the £25 again.. but further on , it states..

You will continue to incur late payment charges until your arrears have been cleared.

so they seem to be implying that they are going to charge me for not paying the £25..

Update on this.. just received an email.. asking for the £25 again.. but further on , it states..

You will continue to incur late payment charges until your arrears have been cleared.

so they seem to be implying that they are going to charge me for not paying the £25..

As i suspected.. they have now added £15 for a letter charge, and now saying my arrears are £40

I have written to them saying their charges are excessive,and against fca rules.. etc.

when another co did this to a friend

he simply cancelled and got ins elsewhere

he got a couple of snotty letters from I think close brothers

but nothing more

turned out is was them that were charging the penalty fees not the ins co as he had chosen pay monthly.

nothing ever showed on his credit file , don't think they can trash that for car ins funding,

spreadsheets 

Its Car finance. as per post one.

Sorry was thinking it was another thread screen

on a small screen

spreadsheets 

So currently i was going to write back to them, and offer £5 as compensation for the 10 hour delay in them getting their money.

They are referring to the account, as 'in default' which ofc, it is not. i am siumply not willing to pay them 25 for a bounce dd, and 15 for a letter, that they did not need to write.

Update for anyone else coming to this thread in the future.

I wrote back to them, stating that their penalties were not inline with the consumer credit act, and they dropped them all.

well done.

you mean FCA/OFT guidelines not the CCA?

spreadsheets 

Doesn't that slightly contradict what you said earlier in the thread about not being able to charge anything?

I agree that the actual charges in this case seem to be massively excessive and probably easily challenged, but generally speaking if a firm can prove or justify what their reasonable costs are then they wouldn't seem to be in breach of any rules, or am I missing something?

To answer this question as to whether there are entitled to charge anything once they have tried to levy an excessive penalty, the answer is that they can't.

If they attempt to levy an excessive penalty then the term of the contract is void. Although the rest of the contract can continue, there is no power – even in the court – to order that the unfair term should be reconstructed in order to become lawful.