Cabot and historic barclaycard debt

Munirs
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1913 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I had a debt with Barclaycard in 2004/05 for £476 and then facing financial trouble, I have an IVA in 2007/08 which failed because of emigrating to Australia for 4 years. Since 2006/07, I had no contacts with any financial companies and didn't pay any money to anyone, other than GE. I have come back to UK and since then paid off GE. But, I have no communications from any financial companies.

I checked my credit history and there was nothing showing from any financial debts from 2006/07.

I did get in touch with Barclays but that was for a PPI claim which they paid up.

I am now suddenly being chased for that debt with Barclaycard from 2006/07 by a company called Cabot Financial. In the letter they sent me, it says they'll send a company called ResolveCall to visit me and discuss the debt, if I don't call them within the next seven days.

My question is I am sure the debt is statute barred. I have never made any payments to Barclays since 2007.

What are the next steps - bear in mind, I haven't contacted them and I have never admitted to the debt to them.

Thanks for your help

Give barclaycard a ring and ask for the last date of payment.

Cabot have bought a ton of bad debts and will try anything to cash them in. They do not enforce legit debts. They only go after unenforceable ones, as they know the vast majority of debtors are totally uneducated and ignorant of their rights and debt collection procedures.

If its statute barred, barclaycard will tell you.

Remember, cabot wont tell you, nor will they care or even have ANY paperwork whatsoever on the debt apart from your name address and amount allegedly in debt.

relax, and give them a quick ring tomorrow morning :) If it is Statute barred, send them out statute barred letter and then ignore everything they send unless theyre dumb enough to try and issue a court claim ( yes, they really are that dumb sometimes).

regarding resolvecall, totally ignore the muppets. They have absolutely no authority over anything, and if they come to your house, tell them in whatever way you like to leave you alone, or youll call 101 and say some random person is at your door demanding money and harassing you.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

relax, and give them a quick ring tomorrow morning

=============

Thanks.

I can call Barclays, but hope this doesn't constitute any sort of admission to the debt. Therefore, if they say is it the account where you had owed some money, I'll have to say no or I don't admit to anything being owed?

I'd rather not liaise with Cabot at all. If I send them a statute barred letter, what if they ignore it and chase the debt. Can I ask them for the original contract?

Nope. They dont own the debt any more so no need to worry about admission. You just give them the account number and ask for the date of last payment to the account.

If they chase you for a debt thats SB, come back here and we will give you a letter to make them go away for good. Dont worry about contracts etc etc. They have nothing to do with it.

Again, just give barclay card a ring tomorrow and come back to us :)

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

if you've not paid since 2007 its statute barred

send the SB letter from our debt collection section of our library.

as I will guess that its a phishing letter as you've never told them in writing where you live now...?

so protect against a backdoor CCJ..end of the matter

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Well, I haven't moved in 20 years - except for 4 years in Australia. So they just had to send the letter to the address pre-Australia.

But I do feel like they are trying to bait me and see if they get lucky :razz:

if you've not paid since 2007 its statute barred

send the SB letter from our debt collection section of our library.

The SB, in this link?

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=65092&d=1476888386

I read here that if a debt is statute barred, I don't have to do anything at all? So can I just ignore this whole saga?

I called Barclays but they have no way of verifying the details and asked me to give them details of the debt company to which I said I'll get back to them. I didn't want to give them those details until I understood the ramifications fully.

If the link I have included here is the template, I am happy to print it off, amend it and then send it off tomorrow. Thanks for all the help.

Edited by dx100uk

no need to print off the PDF just use the text from the post.

it doesn't hurt to send it and nails your colours firmly to your flagpole as once told they must stop ALL comms.

else off to the relevant authorities as they are have broken the FCA CONC code it states.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...