firstship

rural public footpath

I live in an area where there are numerous rural footpaths.

The one to the side of our house has a concrete low level sign which states "Public Footpath"

would I be right in thinking for this sign to exist the Local Council must have some involvement????

I maintain this footpath which runs through a small Copse as well which I also Maintain, at my own expense and time then onto farmland.

The path appears on the Ordinance Survey Map and also the Local Ramblers Map,

because I maintain it voluntarily should anybody have an accident whilst on the path have I made myself responsible

FS

Edited by dx100uk
Spacing

No

Council public liability I would think

No harm in asking them mind!

I have one too I even get a bit of money to do so but I'm Scotland...

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

As long as you havent put anything there which may be a hazard or cause injury, youll be ok. You could always contact the council and tell them to come and check. Even fib a little and say if they dont come, youll block it off. Theyll kick up a fuss, but because you havent blocked it off, they cant do anything... but they will come and check.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Many thanks for your replies, will contact the Council

FS

Posted (edited)

if you maintain it so you can use it there is no comeback on you.  Do not try to improve it though, it is a right of way over someone else's land and it is for the landowner to do anything else. It isnt a road so the idea of maintenance will vary according to where it is. for example a farmer my plough a footpath across a field as long as that doesnt prevent peopel from using  or locating it. If his susequent crop get trampled on the path then that is to be expected and he cant complain nor can he make people walk round.

In short do the minimum required so you can pass along its length and no more or you risk attracting the attention of others who may not be so welcoming of any "improvements"

Edited by ericsbrother