Liability when 2 names are on the council tax bill

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1897 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

just wondering if anyone can tell me what the position is RE liability when there are 2 names on the council tax bill.

I only just discovered council tax has been unpaid for the whole year. The bills have been shall we say intercepted before I ever saw them. Likewise any letters from baliffs (the company is one i've had dealings with before - and I don't like them - the seem very underhand.. I digress).

So, having finally been made aware of this i'm looking to pay the bill by end of next week. (I contacted the councill last friday about it and got them to send me a bill).

However, there have already been visits from the aforementioned baliffs.

Just wonder what position is if they come back and try to seize goods and such. And also what the position is regarding fees they might chage for doing so (or any fees they deem to be payable because they have been already).

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

if you don't let them in and ignore them only cars etc are at risk.

as they have been involved you'll still be liable for the £75 enforcement and the £235 visit fee, no getting away from those sadly even if you pay the council directly.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the prompt reply !

Im not sure they have actually visited to enforce as yet - though I cannot be sure.

In any case I have now paid the outstanding bill directly to the council (as I believe I am perfectly within my rights to do).

When confirming with the council I have asked them to confirm I will have no further visits from the baliff. They said I should get in touch with them.

As I previously mentioned (both on here and to the local council) having had to deal with this company before its not something I am keen to ever do again. (I would not have let matters get this far down the line - but that was out of my hands.).

I suggested to them that as they (the baliffs) are representing the council it should be the council that deals with letting them know the debt as been paid ?

I shouldnt have to deal with them right.

obviously if I am liable for any other fees then so be it

- presumably they (bailiffs) will contact me about it

- but they have no further grounds to visit with intent to seize items

- since the debt has been cleared ?

Edited by dx100uk
Spacing

I'm afraid that if the two fees mentioned above have been applied then they will be considered as being part of the debt and you will continue to receive enforcement visits until they're cleared.

You are probably going to have to take this up with your co-occupant who has apparently intercepted the mail

You will still owe the fees as i said in post 2

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...