Kitchen Issues

jc10s
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1925 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Long explanation.......

I Bought a kitchen recently from a well known distributor on a trade account through my company similar to howdens.

Paid 1800 deposit and had 5000 on credit.

The kitchen arrived and when we came to install around a month later we noticed some parts had not arrived. Some had been marked as delivered and others not even checked off so they knew they were not there. They informed my wife, I was away for 3 weeks with work, that all was there and had been delivered so kitchen could be installed fully.

Once install began a small number of items were not there and took 2-3 days to arrive which along with delaying the 2 fitters by not being there was a delay in looking for and reordering etc.

The fitters highlighted quite a few other small problems too along the way and out of the 5 tall units we had 3 of them needed re-drilling and making certain holes bigger for cam and dowels to fit, again we made it work but these are all predrilled units with supplied parts that should fit and only adds to install costs.

The units were not all made of uniform sized panels, not a lot out but once you know its there you notice it. the designer did not allow for enough plinth or pelmet either.

Some of the panels are also predrilled and dont reach the edge of the carcass by 3 mm so have to have a small filler along them A door was damaged, i cannot say whether it was us or them as we unpackaged a lot of items and moved them about looking for the missing parts so thats not 100% on them and I cant prove it is them so will have to stomach that.

Overall the fitters made a good job form an awkward one but we both feel it would have been considerably less work and would have been completed at least 3 days earlier if it wasnt for the suppliers. The fitters said to me if they were supply and fit and had bought the kitchen themselves then they would definitely be arguing for compensation.

I have not settled the credit account yet for 5000 but would like to know where i stand in regards to a reduction on my bill.

The fitters were on a day rate, 2 joiners on 320 a day for the pair.

On the second day they had to leave for 2 days in order to wait for the parts to come and still needed paying half a days wage as they sacrificed working somewhere else to come to my job.

Sorry for the long winded post but felt it was better to get it all in.

TIA J

Edited by BankFodder
Attempt to introduce some order

Long explanation.......

I Bought a kitchen recently from a well known distributor on a trade account through my company similar to howdens. Paid 1800 deposit and had 5000 on credit. The kitchen arrived and when we came to install around a month later we noticed some parts had not arrived. Some had been marked as delivered and others not even checked off so they knew they were not there. They informed my wife, I was away for 3 weeks with work, that all was there and had been delivered so kitchen could be installed fully.

Once install began a small number of items were not there and took 2-3 days to arrive which along with delaying the 2 fitters by not being there was a delay in looking for and reordering etc. The fitters highlighted quite a few other small problems too along the way and out of the 5 tall units we had 3 of them needed re-drilling and making certain holes bigger for cam and dowels to fit, again we made it work but these are all predrilled units with supplied parts that should fit and only adds to install costs. The units were not all made of uniform sized panels, not a lot out but once you know its there you notice it. the designer did not allow for enough plinth or pelmet either. Some of the panels are also predrilled and dont reach the edge of the carcass by 3 mm so have to have a small filler along them A door was damaged, i cannot say whether it was us or them as we unpackaged a lot of items and moved them about looking for the missing parts so thats not 100% on them and I cant prove it is them so will have to stomach that.

Overall the fitters made a good job form an awkward one but we both feel it would have been considerably less work and would have been completed at least 3 days earlier if it wasnt for the suppliers. The fitters said to me if they were supply and fit and had bought the kitchen themselves then they would definitely be arguing for compensation.

I have not settled the credit account yet for 5000 but would like to know where i stand in regards to a reduction on my bill. The fitters were on a day rate, 2 joiners on 320 a day for the pair. On the second day they had to leave for 2 days in order to wait for the parts to come and still needed paying half a days wage as they sacrificed working somewhere else to come to my job. Sorry for the long winded post but felt it was better to get it all in.

TIA J

Having a long winded story is not really a problem – but having to read an almost solid block of text, very poorly spaced and punctuated – certainly is a problem.

Please would you bear this in mind.

Great 1st response, really helpful. The punctuation is slightly out but the text is split into paragraphs.

Would you like even more spaces between them? Do you read books? They have lots of solid blocks of text in them.......

It was a rushed post granted, but come on it is easily readable. If you have any decent reasonable and relevant input i would be glad to hear it.

I'm sorry that you feel so upset about it.

You can try asking for a reduction in price, but now that the kitchen is completed, there's no proof of anything.

When fitting kitchens it is pretty standard to adjust things, drill something and cut others, so unless the joiner always work in a perfectly plastered environment where walls are plumb and corners are 90 degrees, that sounds quite normal.

Carcasses are made of either chipboard or mdf, the more expensive in wood; all of these materials are subject to movement and adjustments are simply normal.

I see the joiner complaints as prima Donna behaviour aka diva syndrome.

Also, doors are s lightly smaller than carcasses by about (You guessed it) 3mm.

The divas, pardon, the joiner should know this and line up the doors on wall cabinets with bottom edge and the ones on base cabinets to 2 mm from worktop, this would not only please the eye, but also allow for natural movement and subsequent adjustments.

Anyhow, ask for a reduction in price, but I doubt you'll get it, unless you are a returning customer and they value your business.