• Tweets

• Hi Thanks for your reply. I have discussed this with citizens advice and they have taken details of the builder and reported them to trading standards who will take appropriate action. The builders claim that as the draft contract was sent over by email and I had time to think it over before deciding there is no cooling off period in this case.   When sending the draft contract they do not cover any details relating to cancellation rights or any of the details required in the legislation above as they are claiming it should be treated as 'on premises' and therefore my consumer rights do not exist.   I prefer not to give their name on a public forum at the moment but they are certainly not making my life easy at the moment. They are threatening to sue me for breach of contract if i do not pay up in 14 days.
    • Hi all, was a bit busy with my friends witness statement. It is my understanding that none of Assets ppl will attend the hearing pursuant to CPR 27.9 (1)(a). I'm not sure do my mate will be ready to go as he fall in deep depression, lost his interest in life and do not communicate at all now. Ok, there is the WS attached. Thanks DX for advice, I found some good ones here. No names stated in case someone from claimants side reading this. Will be appreciated for any advises and corrections. Thank you in advance.       WS.docx
    • Ok thanks DX, so i reclaim these charges and default sum fee's Then I guess once/if this is settled and they hopefully refund these charges then I need to make a repayment plan arrangement with them.   I think i need to move quickly as they have mentioned legal action which they said would involve property repossesion (so they stated anyway!)
    • Wrongly. I suggest that you post the drafts of the documents you are preparing to send or to file here before you actually do so. You've waited this long, another 24 hours won't make a big difference. You may as well get it right
    • Please will you tell us the name of the builders.  http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/3134/regulation/29/made lays out the circumstances in which you lose your right to cancel and off premises contract. I don't see anything here which says that you are not entitled to use the 14 day cooling off period. I suggest that you email the building immediately and ask him on what basis he says that you are not entitled to a cooling off period. Tell him that if he will not explain this to you then you will not engage in any further communication with him. In any event, and off premises contract must contain at least the following information – meaning that the supplier of the services must provide you with the following information http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/3134/schedule/2/made     Please check your contract and any other messages you have received on paper or by email and see whether together it can be said that you are provided all of this information. If you were not provided with this information then the cooling period doesn't even begin to run. To all intents and purposes the contract is not complete yet. On the basis of the dates that you have provided to us it would appear that you have exercise your right to cancel just within the 14 day period and so therefore your cancellation is good. It seems to me on the basis of what you have told us that you are being bullied and browbeaten by these people. If it is correct that they haven't given you any details about the right to cancel then they are potentially committing an offence and once they have explain to you why you don't have the benefit of a cooling off period, you could then reply to them and warn them that by failing to include all of the information in schedule two – but particularly information as to the right to cancel, they are committing an offence. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/3134/regulation/19/made   Once you are satisfied that you are on secure ground, I would suggest that you write and tell them to do the other thing and that you will be happy to see them in court where you are sure that the judge will be very interested also to see the way they have behaved against you. Please let us know the name of the builders and also once you are sure of your ground I suggest that you start putting reviews up on trust pilot and Google and elsewhere.
  • Our picks

jc10s

Kitchen Issues

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 250 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Long explanation.......

I Bought a kitchen recently from a well known distributor on a trade account through my company similar to howdens.

Paid 1800 deposit and had 5000 on credit.

The kitchen arrived and when we came to install around a month later we noticed some parts had not arrived. Some had been marked as delivered and others not even checked off so they knew they were not there. They informed my wife, I was away for 3 weeks with work, that all was there and had been delivered so kitchen could be installed fully.

Once install began a small number of items were not there and took 2-3 days to arrive which along with delaying the 2 fitters by not being there was a delay in looking for and reordering etc.

The fitters highlighted quite a few other small problems too along the way and out of the 5 tall units we had 3 of them needed re-drilling and making certain holes bigger for cam and dowels to fit, again we made it work but these are all predrilled units with supplied parts that should fit and only adds to install costs.

The units were not all made of uniform sized panels, not a lot out but once you know its there you notice it. the designer did not allow for enough plinth or pelmet either.

Some of the panels are also predrilled and dont reach the edge of the carcass by 3 mm so have to have a small filler along them A door was damaged, i cannot say whether it was us or them as we unpackaged a lot of items and moved them about looking for the missing parts so thats not 100% on them and I cant prove it is them so will have to stomach that.

Overall the fitters made a good job form an awkward one but we both feel it would have been considerably less work and would have been completed at least 3 days earlier if it wasnt for the suppliers. The fitters said to me if they were supply and fit and had bought the kitchen themselves then they would definitely be arguing for compensation.

I have not settled the credit account yet for 5000 but would like to know where i stand in regards to a reduction on my bill.

The fitters were on a day rate, 2 joiners on 320 a day for the pair.

On the second day they had to leave for 2 days in order to wait for the parts to come and still needed paying half a days wage as they sacrificed working somewhere else to come to my job.

Sorry for the long winded post but felt it was better to get it all in.

TIA J

Edited by BankFodder
Attempt to introduce some order

Long explanation.......

I Bought a kitchen recently from a well known distributor on a trade account through my company similar to howdens. Paid 1800 deposit and had 5000 on credit. The kitchen arrived and when we came to install around a month later we noticed some parts had not arrived. Some had been marked as delivered and others not even checked off so they knew they were not there. They informed my wife, I was away for 3 weeks with work, that all was there and had been delivered so kitchen could be installed fully.

Once install began a small number of items were not there and took 2-3 days to arrive which along with delaying the 2 fitters by not being there was a delay in looking for and reordering etc. The fitters highlighted quite a few other small problems too along the way and out of the 5 tall units we had 3 of them needed re-drilling and making certain holes bigger for cam and dowels to fit, again we made it work but these are all predrilled units with supplied parts that should fit and only adds to install costs. The units were not all made of uniform sized panels, not a lot out but once you know its there you notice it. the designer did not allow for enough plinth or pelmet either. Some of the panels are also predrilled and dont reach the edge of the carcass by 3 mm so have to have a small filler along them A door was damaged, i cannot say whether it was us or them as we unpackaged a lot of items and moved them about looking for the missing parts so thats not 100% on them and I cant prove it is them so will have to stomach that.

Overall the fitters made a good job form an awkward one but we both feel it would have been considerably less work and would have been completed at least 3 days earlier if it wasnt for the suppliers. The fitters said to me if they were supply and fit and had bought the kitchen themselves then they would definitely be arguing for compensation.

I have not settled the credit account yet for 5000 but would like to know where i stand in regards to a reduction on my bill. The fitters were on a day rate, 2 joiners on 320 a day for the pair. On the second day they had to leave for 2 days in order to wait for the parts to come and still needed paying half a days wage as they sacrificed working somewhere else to come to my job. Sorry for the long winded post but felt it was better to get it all in.

TIA J

Having a long winded story is not really a problem – but having to read an almost solid block of text, very poorly spaced and punctuated – certainly is a problem.

Please would you bear this in mind.

Great 1st response, really helpful. The punctuation is slightly out but the text is split into paragraphs.

Would you like even more spaces between them? Do you read books? They have lots of solid blocks of text in them.......

It was a rushed post granted, but come on it is easily readable. If you have any decent reasonable and relevant input i would be glad to hear it.

I'm sorry that you feel so upset about it.

You can try asking for a reduction in price, but now that the kitchen is completed, there's no proof of anything.

When fitting kitchens it is pretty standard to adjust things, drill something and cut others, so unless the joiner always work in a perfectly plastered environment where walls are plumb and corners are 90 degrees, that sounds quite normal.

Carcasses are made of either chipboard or mdf, the more expensive in wood; all of these materials are subject to movement and adjustments are simply normal.

I see the joiner complaints as prima Donna behaviour aka diva syndrome.

Also, doors are s lightly smaller than carcasses by about (You guessed it) 3mm.

The divas, pardon, the joiner should know this and line up the doors on wall cabinets with bottom edge and the ones on base cabinets to 2 mm from worktop, this would not only please the eye, but also allow for natural movement and subsequent adjustments.

Anyhow, ask for a reduction in price, but I doubt you'll get it, unless you are a returning customer and they value your business.