style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1880 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Have a boiler policy with 24/7 home rescue. Never had a chance to use them in 14 months until recently. The boiler was making noises so they said they would send an engineer out and I need to pay the excess amount of £75 which I did via Credit card.

The engineer has been this morning and says that pump is faulty and will cost £295 to change and I need to speak with 24/7. Called them and they said that they only cover 60% of the cost of the value of the boiler and they value the boiler at £250. So they won't cover this issue.

I need the boiler fixed so called an independent engineer and he has given me a quote of £140 for parts and labor to fit the new pump.

I asked 24/7 to refund my excess as they did not do the job which they have refused.

This is clearly a con by 24/7. Under value the price of the boiler and over inflate the cost of the parts and fitting and any claim can be void. I was also not made aware of the condition that they would only pay 60% of the value of the boiler for any claims.

Any suggestions what I can do to get my £75 excess back? Chargeback?

Also should I take this any further?

Lots of reports of this company doing that. Write to them. Give them 7 days to give cleared funds in your account, then issue a chargeback if they dont.

Unless youve already told them to refund and they havent. In which case, chargeback as soon as you can.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Please can you tell us more about this company. Maybe you could provide a link to their website.

Also you should get an independent assessment of the value of your boiler.

Please can you tell us more about this company. Maybe you could provide a link to their website.

Also you should get an independent assessment of the value of your boiler.

The thing is that second hand boilers aren't worth much anyway. A new boiler now days costs £600. So 4-5 years down the line they will all be worth £200 https://www.247homerescue.co.uk/reviews/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAg_HhBRDNARIsAGHLV5365AWEJ4ULgjtR16exMwOf6k2FboEjh3n2zIIyBNOp3T2dZzTeJcUaAiq5EALw_wcB

- - - Updated - - -

Lots of reports of this company doing that. Write to them. Give them 7 days to give cleared funds in your account, then issue a chargeback if they dont.

Unless youve already told them to refund and they havent. In which case, chargeback as soon as you can.

Where do I stand legally on this though? Are they allowed to take money without doing the work?

What do their T&C's say

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

What do their T&C's say

I can't find the ones they sent me but I am sure they will have this in there. Is it better to just leave this and move on then. Just hate it when companies con consumers though.

I just checked and they did not send me any paperwork. Just googled them and it seems there are 100s of us with the same issue. All told that the cost of the part is beyond economical repair.

what does the policy say?

bear in mnd it is an insurance contract so going to the insurance ombudsman may cost them more than the work they didnt do but charged for. If they deny it is an insurance contract that could cause them more trouble as what ahve they being charging for?

I'm not sure that it is in an insurance contract – they certainly don't appear to be regulated by the FCA. In fact there is no reference to anything like that or even to "insurance" that I can see on their website.

If they were regulated by the FCA as a supplier of insurance then you could attack them very easily

They will probably argue that their cover under their contract includes sending out the engineer to investigate and identify the problem. You have received that service and therefore they are entitled to retain the £75 excess.

I haven't read their t&cs and can't say whether that is justified, but I'm guessing that will be their response. In effect you are liable for the first £75 of their engineer's call out charge. So a chargeback might not be successful.

According to this page they are not an insurance company and not regulated by the FCA. They list why they think that is advantageous to you but strangely forget to mention that one whopping disadvantage is that customers have no regulator who can intervene or investigate complaints!

https://www.247homerescue.co.uk/about-us/

I used my brothers card to pay for the call out. The policy is under my name. Can he turn around and say that he did not authorise the charge? Or that he paid for the repair and it was not done?

I was told its a excess and not a call out charge. Surely a excess is only payable when there is a claim?

What else are my options? Reading online reviews it seems the complaint to them is never successful? Small claims court? I know its only 75 but I hate it when these sort of companies con consumers.

I think that 24/7 are likely to be correct that the £75 is due to them. I haven't read their full t&cs though. That doesn't mean their service plan is fair or value for money, and I don't know whether the limit on the cost of repairs is properly publicised when you buy the product. That might provide a route for challenging it in court if you feel so inclined - misrepresentation or unfair contract terms.

The reason I think they are entitled to the £75 is this. You are buying a service plan from them. Not insurance. You have to pay for the first £75 of whatever you receive under the servcie plan. The service plan has several components. The visit from an engineer to investigate the fault in the boiler, the cost of parts, the labour ro carry out the repair. If you receive any of those you are receiving something under the service plan. In your case you have received something, a visit from an engineer who diagnosed the problem. Needs a new pump. So your are required to pay £75 towards the cost of the engineer's visit. It's irrelevant that the service plan in this case doesn't cover the new pump.

Let's hope your brother doesn't turn round and say he didn't authorise you to use his card. If he does then you used his card fraudulently.

• 2 weeks later...

I called out some real engineers (British Gas) who have fixed the problem. It was a simple system vent required which should just be a call out charge and the water pump was ok. They have provided me written documentation of this.

So is this now a valid chargeback claim since they did not fix the fault? They had said the water pump was faulty and would cost £290 to repair.

Go back to 24/7 Home Rescue and inform them of the above first..you must exhaust your complaint before invoking a chargeback, also cancel this agreement and ask for a refund of your premium...if applicable.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread