Faulty Car - potential small claims

Emma0214
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1902 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I am just looking for some advice.

We purchased a car In October 2018 2009 tiguan with 114K miles on, we purchased from a dealer (sold from a garage) but i think hes a sole trader.

Before we purchased, the dealer said the engine management light came on and went into limp mode, they plugged in and was the glo plugs and the light was now off and all fixed.

Satisfied we purchased the car via bacs.

On they way home the car went into limp mode - i called the dealer and he suggested carry on driving until it did it again. November 18 we had an issue with the clutch, the dealer asked us to book into a garage over 20 miles away - but it was done free of charge and i was giving a car.

The car then went into limp mode just before Christmas, we called up the dealer who told us to use to the same garage (not the one the car was sold from as he didnt trust the mechanics) and it was his responsibility to fix.

Booked in January (due to them not being open over Christmas) and the same i was given a car whilst mine was in. The issue was the inlet manifold has blown and cracked. something that would of happened with there being an issue with it and being driven over time has made worse.

The dealer offered half the bill - the bill was £700. We refused, saying if within with first six months of purchase the dealer should repair or replace. Again he refused and offered half the money, the car was in an independent garage, so one of us had to pay. But he also said in writing he wouldn't be responsible if it went into limp mode again or wouldn't give us a refund. Im under the impression the legally needs to.

So we have paid the bill and ive written to ask him to pay in full, hes refused, saying if we take him to small claims to be putting a counter claim in for a solicitor etc.

Where do you think we stand with a small claims?

CAB have told me he should pay the bill as if there is a fault within the first 6 months its deemed it was there when the car was purchase.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Emma

There is no problem about bringing a small claim and there is absolutely no possibility that he could put in a counterclaim for a solicitor. One of the basic small claims rules is that even if you lose, you were not responsible for the other side's costs so long as you behave and litigate reasonably.

He is completely wrong. Please will you tell us who the dealer is.

Under the consumer rights act, within the first six months he has to be given an opportunity to repair the vehicle and if the repair fails then you are entitled to a refund or a replacement – or even a further repair at your choice.

It seems to me that you are best off getting out of this contract.

Write a letter and tell them that you want a complete refund and also you want reimbursement of any losses that you have taken as a result of the problems and that if he does not refund you within 14 days you will issue proceedings in the County Court without any further notice.

Don't send this letter unless you are serious. Don't bluff.

Send the letter and then register with MoneyClaim online – a free County Court service and start reading up on this website about how to bring a small claim. We will help you. It's very easy.

Your chances of success are much better than 95% – but the only problem could be enforcing the judgement. If he has a stable business and a permanent premises then you stand an excellent chance.

Absolutely not. You send the letter of claim. You set down a 14 day deadline. At the expiry of the 14 days – day 15 – you issue the papers.

I suggest that you use the following as the basis for your claim. It doesn't really need very much more detail.

the claimant purchased a XXX car registration number XXX from the defendant car dealer.

Within the first six months the vehicle displayed defects.

The defendant agreed to repairs but the repairs failed.

The claimant has asserted their right to reject the vehicle and require a refund under the consumer rights act.

The defendant has refused to refund the claimants money.

The claimant claims the cost of the vehicle £XXX (plus any associated losses £XXX) plus interest

If you have suffered any losses such as the cost of insurance which may be won't be fully reimbursed, or cost of transport or loss of vehicle or anything that you have bought for the vehicle which won't be useful for your next vehicle then you should list these out as expenses as well and add them to your claim.

You should frame your claim so that you are not out of pocket at all.

By the way, I don't notice that you have told us the name of the dealer.