• Tweets

• Includes eligibility, appeals, tax credits and Universal Credit View the full article
    • Please will you give us the company name, post up a copy of the receipt in PDF format and also the name of the builder. You have got his address. I suggest that you visit the land registry web search and see whether he is the registered owner of the property https://www.gov.uk/search-property-information-land-registry  There will be a fee for this information that it is important to get it. The reason you're doing this is because you are highly likely to end up taking a small claim against him and you want to know what assets he has which you can enforce against. I suggest that you take photographs of everything and also speak to your new builders and ask them to provide a written description of the state of affairs as they found the before they started doing the work. You should also ask them for their own evaluation of the materials which they found on site when they started the work. That might give you an idea of their value. Make sure you get a list of the materials which had been supplied. Also it will be a good idea if you could set everything out that happened in a bullet pointed chronology. Skip the narrative – it's far too long. We need to get a nutshell view of exactly what has happened.  
    • Hello and welcom to CAG. People should be along over the course of the day to advise.   In the meantime, I've edited a few paragrphs into your post to make it easier for those advising to read. Please try to break up your posts because reading a solid block of text is difficult to read and can put people off.   Best, HB
    • Thank you,    Iv just worked out for the first 2 years partner was earning £31k Before tax. Would we hAve been entitled to something? If so will it be less owed than I originally thought? Iv worked it out that every penny Iv had will be paid back, so roughly £25k.  I can’t provide the requested infomation  like bills/council tax bill etc as it’s all in his name. 
    • Public backs debt enforcement to support vital public services - survey | CIVEA View the full article
  • Our picks

• @curryspcworld @TeamKnowhowUK - Samsung 75 8K TV - completely broken by Currys. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426151-samsung-75-8k-tv-completely-broken-by-currys/&do=findComment&comment=5069075
      • 4 replies
    • @skinnyfoodco Skinny Foods. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426130-skinny-foods/&do=findComment&comment=5068996
      • 8 replies
    • I’m in desperate need of help

I bought some clothes online in may through Evans and paid through PayPal
      returned them all seven days later

I waited the 14days for my refund and no refund came
      I put in a dispute through PayPal but I didn’t get any emails to escalate the case - PayPal closed it. 
      evans said they couldn’t refund the money because PayPal have cancelled the refund because of the open dispute

I contacted PayPal
      they said the dispute had been closed but Evans at no point had attempted a refund.
      fast forward to today

I’ve got copies of numerous messages sent to and from twitter messages as it’s the only way I can contact them
      I’ve also contacted their customer service too
      all I get is PayPal have cancelled refund because dispute is still open.

I have proved that the dispute is closed
      I have got an email saying that if Evans sent the refund they would accept it
      but up until the date I got the email they have not once attempted a refund .

I have sent them a letter before court email
      I have even offered to have the full refund as a gift card just to get this sorted !

I’m literally at the end of my tether and don’t know where to turn next !

i suffer with mental health issues and this is affecting my health and I’d saved the money for a year to buy these clothes as I’m on a low income .
    • In desperate need of help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/425244-in-desperate-need-of-help/&do=findComment&comment=5067040
      • 29 replies

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 622 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for your assistance, my wife has receive a letter today with the below information:

"My records show you have an outstanding balance of £279.72 in respect of ****** (address) for the period 7.1.13 to 17.2.13"

My question would be ... is this enforceable and would the statute barred rule come into play for the amount of time that passed?

Thank you

Yes

No

Send them their free sar on their site to prove they hold the required proof

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, DCA;s -  would collapse overnight.

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs - that's why they will never tell you they are not bailiffs and have absolutely zero legal powers on any debt.

The statute barring period for housing benefit overpayments runs from the date of the decision letter informing your wife of the overpayment. It is possible the a decision was made years ago and she ignored or didn't receive the letter. Even so, as the period of the overpayment is up to 17.2.13, at the earliest, the debt would become statute barred six years from that date (England and Wales) so at least 17.2.19. And it is very likely any decision letter was produced after that date so the debt is not statute barred.

Even if the debt was statute barred, benefit overpayments can be recovered by deductions from current benefits or a deduction of earnings attachment without the need for a CCJ.

gov't debts like this are never SB'd

dx

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs - that's why they will never tell you they are not bailiffs and have absolutely zero legal powers on any debt.

Benefit overpayments can be statute barred, the cause of action accrues from the date of the decision on the overpayment.

Section 9(1) of the Limitation Act 1980 applies:

"9 Time limit for actions for sums recoverable by statute.

(1)An action to recover any sum recoverable by virtue of any enactment shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued."

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/58/section/9

over payment of benefits are a gov't debt

they cannot become statute barred.

they can still recover them from future benefits or a DEA.

the only thing SB prevents in E&W is legal enforcement.

Yes, they can be recovered from benefits or through a DEA, I wrote that in post 3. But they can be statute barred as no court action can be taken to recover the debt. Where a person is not receiving benefits or on PAYE, the debt is unenforceable, there is no requirement in law to repay the debt, and no enforcement action can be taken.

they don't need to take any court action regardless of the age of the 'debt'- that's the whole point.

in all effect..statute barring on a gov't debt is immaterial..hence, they can get it by hook or by crook.

unlike say a bank or a dca …

they can raid your future income and theres nowt you can do about it unless you make them prove they have the required documentation...hence the sar.

The DWP and local councils will make a money claim where the debt is unrecoverable through benefits or PAYE, statute barring is very material in those cases. This debt is almost statute barred hence the letter, it is likely that the benefits and PAYE route has already been tried and failed.

I think we need to know the circumstances for the over payment. If the over payment was a mistake by the housing authority then they cannot claim it back as it would be deemed an "official" mistake.

If the over payment was a mistake by the housing authority then they cannot claim it back as it would be deemed an "official" mistake.

It's not quite as simple as that, where an overpayment is made resulting from official error, the claimant needs to have a reasonable belief that there was entitlement to housing benefit.

Regulation 100 of The Housing Benefit Regulations 2006:

"Recoverable overpayments

100.—(1) Any overpayment, except one to which paragraph (2) applies, shall be recoverable.

(2) Subject to paragraph (4) this paragraph applies to an overpayment [F1which arose in consequence of] an official error where the claimant or a person acting on his behalf or any other person to whom the payment is made could not, at the time of receipt of the payment or of any notice relating to that payment, reasonably have been expected to realise that it was an overpayment."

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2006/213/regulation/100

That clause is difficult to prove.

It's not quite as simple as that, where an overpayment is made resulting from official error, the claimant needs to have a reasonable belief that there was entitlement to housing benefit.

Regulation 100 of The Housing Benefit Regulations 2006:

"Recoverable overpayments

100.—(1) Any overpayment, except one to which paragraph (2) applies, shall be recoverable.

(2) Subject to paragraph (4) this paragraph applies to an overpayment [F1which arose in consequence of] an official error where the claimant or a person acting on his behalf or any other person to whom the payment is made could not, at the time of receipt of the payment or of any notice relating to that payment, reasonably have been expected to realise that it was an overpayment."

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2006/213/regulation/100

That clause is difficult to prove.

The clause is fairly easy to prove if you have supplied all the documentation required, one relies on the benefits people to calculate the correct amount of benefit. They may over pay you and you would be none the wiser until they tried to claw it back. This happened with us twice over the years and in both cases we were able to prove that we had done everything correctly.

the op has not been back since posting

yet another thread disrupted by arguing ...