• Tweets

• No, but all you'd do is blindly run the statute barred date for another 18 months. Just sit on your hands until you get a letter of claim, then send a CCA request.  
    • Just like last time, Evri requested more time so they have another 2 weeks
    • Just an update, finance company rejected my complaint saying they've found damage but can't tell when it's from even though I've shown them how the front end is misaligned in the advert photos compared to another identical model car they're selling.  Dealership now want to charge me to get the car brought back to me but will only discuss over the phone which seems off. They're also saying no damaged was picked up by JLR main dealership before I purchased it but my local JLR dealerships till this day haven't mentioned the damage to me because they don't go into stuff like that for some reason lol  Ombudsman case is still open, not sure if I should leave the car with them or just pay to have it brought back.
    • Hi all, I get esa and pip,  I have £1200 in arrears that I owed my ex partner, I have been paying £100 per month to clear this debt that was setup by standing order, as I have complex needs I forgot about this standing order and have overpaid mainternance by around £4000, I told CSA I am happy for my ex partner to keep overpayment I do not wish to seek anything back, however they have declined to take of the sum of £1200 and are still saying I owe this to my ex partner. In my second question it was announced that pip would stop for mental health, I don't understand the link below Disability benefits system to be reviewed as PM outlines "moral mission" to reform welfare - GOV.UK WWW.GOV.UK The Prime Minister has outlined a package of sweeping reforms to put work at the heart of welfare and... Does this mean my money is going to stop? I have spoken to my key worker and I am already recieveing help from mental health team and complex needs team along with connections and mind, I just don't get what is going on.
    • No, i haven't had one for about 10+ years. I am thinking of just going to the court in person and pay at the counter
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Abbey Life - Past Business Review Annuity Questionnaire

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1502 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello HB - I hope you are well and all your fellow advisers.   Here I am again - with a positive update.

On 10th May 2019 - we had a phone call to discuss our medical replies on their forms.  I was surprised given our history they did not want to get reports from our GP's.  They took our word for what was serious illness. We told her on the phone, when she wanted to go over a few of our answers,  that we were happy for them contact both our GP's and Hospital if necessary.  She said they probably wouldn't as in their experience it can take some time to get the reports.

On 25th June 2019 - I decided to write an just ask for an update.  I thought if they were contacting GP's - I could recall them saying you had a certain length of time to look at report.

Today 5th July 2019 - we have received a reply!!  I take it that this response is all in order and can only accept that what is calculated is correct.  (looking at page 2 info I guess it is) Obviously we have no idea what it would have been if we had left Abbey Life and gone to an independent company for our annuities.

All we know the money is very welcome.  I have attached copies of the letter we received today without identifying ourselves.

Looking forward to hearing from you after all the support you have given me.1494318204_AbbeyLifeJuly2019Page1of2.thumb.jpg.44869e56fb3c363831c3ca4708e5c7dc.jpg

Abbey Life July 2019 Page 2 of 2.jpg

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Primrose. This is very promising, well done you.

Would it be possible to give this a little bit longer so I can ask other people on the team if it's right to take the first offer please?

My other thought unless you tell me otherwise is that you don't have a copy of Abbey's calculations along with the letter.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thank you HB.

I would appreciate your thoughts as I said in my post - ' I take it that this response is all in order and can only accept that what is calculated is correct'.   

No - we had nothing else accept what I have posted - 2 pages above.  On page 2 they say how they have calculated but I have no idea what information they entered to arrive at the calculation.

Do you think that is why they say the cheque will be posted 14 days from the date of the letter?  

Edited by Primrose13

• 1 month later...

Hello - here I am again and would appreciate your thoughts.  I am providing a copy of what I wrote to Abbey Life and their reply received today.

UPDATE

First of all here is a copy of what i wrote to them on 30 July 2019 -

Thank you - I am now in receipt of the cheque. 

We should be grateful if you would send us details of how the calculations for the compensation were done, including the information that was input into the system.

We look forward to hearing from you.

TODAY 

Just received this.  I feel we need to respond to this letter and remind them we were also requesting the information that was input into the system by Abbey Life.  In other words they suggest referring to the FCA website and that will not provide us with the input they themselves entered.

226571356_AbbeyLifeLetterdated16August2019.thumb.jpg.46f1b31331c08d727d3e088e5713ae21.jpg

Hi Primrose.

That's not very helpful, is it? You don't even know if they've input the right information.

I haven't found the calculator on the FCA website yet, but I think it might be worth ringing them to say that you've asked Abbey for details of their calculations and just been referred to the FCA website without a link to the right page.

Let's see what they say first.

HB

OK - will do - have to go out this morning and will try FCA this afternoon.  Just to clarify -

I will say to FCA - Abbey Life have advised me to refer to them.  I would like assistance on how to find Thermatic Review 16/7. ( I will explain I have asked Abbey what they have input to arrive at their calculations.)

Thank you.

Hello

I have just spoken to them and very helpful. 

1. She is sending me via email the information they have on the Thematic Review 16/7.  

2. Gave me a different phone number to phone Phoenix than the one they have on the letter.

3. Gave me a Case Ref: Number for our call.

So will wait for her email and take it from there before I phone Pheonix because just maybe it will give me a 'feel' for what is involved to make this calculation.

Watch this space!!  I do hope it is not 100's of pages !!!

Hello

They sent the wrong one first of all as I tried to read through it - I thought this looks like the initial process.  Anyway she has sent out the correct with apologies. https://www.fca.org.uk/publication/thematic-reviews/tr16-7.pdf

I am putting it here in case anyone else needed it for ref.  However, trying to scan through it see

Pages 19 & 20. 

See 3.26 - I quote estimated plausible range of lost annuity income to an average customer being between £120 - £240 p.a. Which doesn't seem very much does it?

See 3.27 ....

Anyway I have emailed them again because my question was not answered i.e. if any of their department know if they are obliged to tell me what info they put into the FCA mandated calculator? 

Now - I am wondering if this IS a real 'calculator'  or is it if they tick boxes for 'ill health' - then - just calculate on the above figures.  In other words it is NOT putting in your precise medical conditions into a 'calculator'. 

I hope I have explained it OK so that you can understand what I am trying to say.

Thank you again.

Edited by Primrose13

Sorry - I have only communicated with FCA so far.  (See my post 106)    I did say FCA gave me a different phone number for Phoenix for 'when' I call them - which I have not done yet - that may have confused you.

Edited by Primrose13

Thank you for the clarification, that makes sense now.

Ref your point on 3.26, a while ago I think I posted a case study that sounded similar to yours that estimated how much annuity had been lost. That might guide you.

I have to say that I have no experience of actuarial calculations and was useless at maths at school, but I hope we can work through this.

HB

Thank you HB - please don't spoil your long weekend to get back to me.  As we know we have a cashed cheque which is a very good and thanks to your guidance you helped make it happen. 😊

As I said to the helpful person at the FCA - I just wondered when they have ALL our medical history does having varying levels (if that is the correct word) does it really make any difference?  In other words if you are a smoker and overweight you would be treated the same if you have heart trouble and cancer.

Perhaps it means once you pass the first test - the rest is irrelevant and the calculator works out figures based on the type and amount of pension you were paying before retirement.  In other words it does not need to know about your specific health issues.

When you get time do you think you may be able to local the link to the post you mention -

Ref your point on 3.26, a while ago I think I posted a case study that sounded similar to yours that estimated how much annuity had been lost. That might guide you.

Thank you 

Thank you HB

I have only just emailed FCA again, as I now have a link to a specific person, and I said -

'What I cannot seem to establish K... is Abbey Life tell me the calculation for the compensation due to you was done using an FCA mandated calculator.–

1. Does this calculator only want figures or facts?  i.e. would you put in say ‘years’ or do you put in ‘diagnosis’ to enable a true calculation to work.
  2. For example would a smoker be treated just the same as someone who already has a diagnosis of an aggressive form of cancer?

I look forward to hearing from you and hopefully someone in your department just may know the answer.'

Now looking at your helpful link from Telegraph and I quote -

Annuity rates can be boosted for a range of conditions from high blood pressure, which may result in a 2 per cent lift to more serious illnesses such as cancer or strokes which can add 40 or even 50 per cent to the value of payments.

So HB it is interesting that we do not get provided with the actual 'evidence' from Abbey Life/Phoenix when we have to provide written information setting out facts to them.

Thank you again.

Just received this reply from FCA -

Thank-you for your email, I have discussed this matter with other colleagues in my department.

The FCA requested that firms review past sales practices where consumers have taken a standard annuity as opposed to an enhanced annuity rate.

In terms of the calculation it is going to vary amongst different insurers due to their own underwriters having different risk appetites when making an assessment. I.e. They may offer different amounts of annuity for different medical conditions.

With regards to an “FCA mandated calculator,” I’ve been unable to find a rule that requires a firm to share this with a consumer. You may wish to speak to Phoenix Life Limited to confirm whether they are able to share any of the information on their calculations with you.

If you need to speak to us regarding this matter please use the following reference number
xxxx

So HB - need to give this some thought.  In some way back to square one i.e. Phoenix letter - refereed to in post 104 above. 

you could ask the FCA for a list fo the different methods they mandate for calculating things. that wont identify the exact formula but will show the general logic to it all and put Abbey in a spot should you the use all of the FCA formulae to check the sum Abbey arrived at from the original sum to be turned into an annuity.

It is like doing s reverse calculation on a checksum so without examples will be impossible to even start to work out for yourself.

The other point is whatever you get is a bonus but would it be the same as putting the money into another company's scheme?

• 6 months later...

Well - I didn't contact Phoenix again to pursue “FCA mandated calculator,”  (see my post 104 & 118)  Family illness and coping with a bereavement have only just settled down.

Today -

(a) I don't know if I feel mentally able to pick this up again with Phoenix or even try what 'ericsbrother' brother thought.

(b) If 'self isolation' though this Virus started to create 'spare time' not sure if I could pick this up again after this period of time as the case would be closed I guess?

If anyone else finds themselves in a similar position, the help here enabled us to 'fight' and it wasn't easy.  BUT - our reward was a sum of money that we wouldn't have got otherwise.  For that I am very grateful and we didn't go out and spend it - it is nice to know we have it for the 'rainy day'.   (We made a small contribution to the Consumer Action Group as without them - I couldn't have dealt with it.)

I don't think I could be of any help but if someone found themselves in the same position as we found ourselves in and thought I might be able to give any information please do not hesitate to contact me.

Edited by Primrose13

Woops - I have not started the day off well today on this forum - I am so sorry.

First - I didn't mean that anyone could contact me direct!!!    I meant on this thread!!!   

Second - I mention 'self isolation' though this Corona Virus - we do not have it - it is just the precautions we are taking because of our age and underlying health issues i.e. we are not going out unless we have to and our 'children' are not visiting unless we needed help.  

Edited by Primrose13