Npower - 2 year nightmare - Please help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1835 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Excellent. That amounts to all but an admission.

It will be interesting to see their defence.

I suggest very strongly that even though they try to pay you out in order to withdraw the claim, that you insist on the judgement. It would at all surprise me if they start bidding you up. If they don't acknowledge the claim then watch out very carefully for day 15 when you can apply for the judgement. Then just go in and do it.

It's about time that Npower were brought to heel on this practice – and I'm very pleased that you appear to be doing it.

Of course they are still being stupid because they are clearly perfectly happy to send you threats and demands and bills to your normal contact address but when it comes to sending you an SAR, they want to send it to a special secure mechanism, give you only 60 days to retrieve it and also have a system which is not capable of supporting call recordings.

This just goes further to show that Npower are completely stupid and have no idea about how to treat their customers fairly and no idea how to manage their statutory obligations.

Just imagine the huge amount of money that they spend preparing for GDPR – and they haven't even got it right yet. If what they say is true, – and who knows – they haven't even managed to get proper staff development for all of their people so that customers' requests have been handled properly.

Whoever is their director in charge of their data protection function – and am quite sure that person is earning a shed load of money – it is clear that they are incompetent and frankly they deserve to be sacked.

This kind of thing should be properly handled – and it hasn't been.

Let's see how efficient they will suddenly become when they receive the claim.

Post 64 in this thread

Hmmm - get an Android :madgrin:

And the SAR has been sent to me. Just gotta wait for the USB to come through now though. Some very interesting stuff on the documents though! 

Am I looking for anything in particular? 285 pages of notes, so haven't got through all of them yet! 

I'm afraid I think that you will have to go through them all fairly carefully – make notes – I suggest that you number the pages with a pen down at the bottom or something so that you can then refer to them.

Maybe the thing to do is put them all in some kind of ring binder or maybe a couple of ring binders. Number the pages by hand, then go through them once and make an index using an Excel spreadsheet of the titles and the dates of each document – together with with its number.

That will probably give you a fairly good overview of what you got and I'm sure that you will spot interesting anomalies on the way. However, don't get distracted by those – just make a note that you need to go back to them.

Once you've got the documents numbered, indexed, and a general overview of what you have – then you can start to go through and look at them more carefully. I suggest that if you find anything particularly interesting, you might even consider photocopying it so that you have a separate collection of specially interesting items – but you don't disturb your master file.

You want to look out for what is there – but you want also to try and see what is not there. What is not there might be more interesting than what is there. Apart from anything else, if you find there is stuff missing, then this will add to your case against Npower for their breach of the DPA.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

What's happening on this please?

On 15/03/2019 at 10:07, BankFodder said:

What's happening on this please?

NPOWER never responded, so have gone ahead and submitted the CCJ against them. 

Now on need to work out exactly the claim details for the next one. 

Would you be able to give advice?

• Like 1

You've applied for the judgement? – When was this? Well done.

As soon as you have obtained a judgement – put the bailiffs in. Do immediately without any notice and without waiting. It will cost you 50 quid but it will be worth it for the satisfaction and you will get the money back anyway

As soon as you get the judgement, send them another letter of claim and tell them that their breach of statutory duty is continuing and you are proposing to issue a claim against them within 14 days.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

You've applied for the judgement? – When was this? Well done.

As soon as you have obtained a judgement – put the bailiffs in. Do immediately without any notice and without waiting. It will cost you 50 quid but it will be worth it for the satisfaction and you will get the money back anyway

Applied judgment on Friday just gone. Went away over weekend and now back and continuing the quest! 

Aye shall request the baliffs if it if it comes to that.  

Well unless they suddenly wake up, once the judgment is obtained, there is nothing to stop you going ahead.

Also send a copy of the judgment to the ICO as part of a complaint.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David2Prit said:

NPOWER never responded, so have gone ahead and submitted the CCJ against them. 

Now on need to work out exactly the claim details for the next one. 

Would you be able to give advice?

In respect of the substantive claim, do you think that you got enough information to start dealing with that or do you need the statutory disclosure?

This thread has now run to 4 pages and it has been pretty well wholly occupied with the data protection problem. I think that when you come to start dealing with your substantive claim that it would be better to start a new thread and keep this one simply for the data disclosure issue.

I know that the whole process seems agonisingly slow – but I think you are better off being fully prepared and fully informed. Also, the more mistakes that Npower makes such as not honouring your disclosure request, the better it will look for you in the long run when you start to deal with the main issue.

56 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

In respect of the substantive claim, do you think that you got enough information to start dealing with that or do you need the statutory disclosure?

This thread has now run to 4 pages and it has been pretty well wholly occupied with the data protection problem. I think that when you come to start dealing with your substantive claim that it would be better to start a new thread and keep this one simply for the data disclosure issue.

I know that the whole process seems agonisingly slow – but I think you are better off being fully prepared and fully informed. Also, the more mistakes that Npower makes such as not honouring your disclosure request, the better it will look for you in the long run when you start to deal with the main issue.

Yeah this will be for the substantive claim. 

Agree that hat we should probably set up a new thread, and allow this one help others dealing with data issues with this company or similar. 

Still need to let let this run and see if they pay first, or baliffs come into play. Feels great to have gotten over the first hurdle now though (in respect of gaining judgment)

• 2 weeks later...

As with all data disclosures you need to understand what might be missing in addition to discovering any useful information.

Presumably you had no word on the judgement yet?

In terms of dealing with the main problem, as I have already suggested I think the best thing to do is to start a new post and to lay out the story in a reasonably succinct chronological bullet pointed fashion

Yeah should know about the judgment in 2 days, and then see if they pay up, or baliffs the next option. 

Aye regarding the the main issue, I will start a new thread, think we have a chronilogical order on the other page, so pretty easy. 

Will wait for this to be completely resolved first, and then go about putting the next step into action. 

Do I take it that they are still in breach of the SAR request – or has that been resolved now?

Well I now have everything that I originally requested from them, so no longer in breach of SAR (Albeit horrendously late). What I have gotten though was massively useful, but I do think some of the calls are missing from a few years ago. 

Its now literally just a case gaining the judgment and recovering the costs. 

Goodwill am glad that the disclosure was useful. Is there anyway that you can identify the missing calls. Did you ever keep logs of the calls that you made? (There is a very good practice for the future).

If you can set out the extent of their omissions from the data disclosure then if you want we can think about using that as the basis of a further action against them – simply to stir it up a bit. You have seen how easy it is.

I think that it wouldn't be worth starting a new claim about a data protection breach unless you had very clear evidence of what was missing. If you can find references in any of their notes or correspondence to telephone calls, records of which are missing from the disclosure – then that would give you a solid basis. Otherwise, it's probably not worth having another go.

Watch out for discrepancies and see if you can pick anything up.

• Thanks 1

Please could you post up the judgement here.