• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Court case with Abbey, need help with court pack!! **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6337 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After almost 7 months of trying to get my money back from Abbey I now have a date for court in January.

They offered me half back which I refused and want the whole amount as seems to be what everyone keeps saying!

Now I am scared of cocking it all up at the last minute as the court require a bundle from me for my claim.

I have copied all my statements and highlighted the charges but I don't know what else to send.

I saw a link on here for a court bundle but none of it made any sense!

Please can somebody give me some advice as to what I should send them?

Thanks

Neil

I am also at this stage with my girlfriends account. I have just downloaded the documents and flicking through it noticed the mention of penalty charges. I am assuming that we are to highlight and use these to form part our cases? Sorry im not much help just letting you know you arent alone.

Thanks guys. At least I'm not alone!!

Bookworm, the pack I unzipped is full of gobbledegook to me!

Do I need to use the whole thing or just take out the unlawful charges bit?

I'm maybe being stupid but never having done this before it all looks very legal and scary!!

I just need to know what to put in the court pack for them so I don't look a fool and potentially lose.

Do I really need all this???

Cheers guys

Neil

If you only needed part of it, only part of it would have been included.

You print the whole lot, and add it to your own documents.

If it looks like gobbledegook to you, I suggest you read up on it, as the UTCCR and the UTCA form the basis of the reason of your reclaiming your charges.

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but anyone who has got that far in their claims and doesn't understand why these documents are essential has some serious homework to do. What happens if, Heaven forbid, your case is the one that ends up in front of a judge? You are supposed to know what you're doing, at least a little!

You've never done this before? With all due respect, neither had I. But I researched and researched, because I sure as hell wasn't going to take chances with my claim. The difference is I had to go and find the info all over the Internet, which is why I then put it together in one place to help others. It doesn't mean anyone should just print, send and hope for the best.

Do you really need all this? Yes, and more. The index included tells you some of it, wich will work for most simple bank claims. In more complicated cases, you need to adapt it accordingly, as explained in the post.

Wow scary stuff! Thanks very much for your help.

It is really intimidating I suppose, taking on a high street bank in the courts.

I just assumed as most people probably do from reading about this stuff that it wouldn't go to court and you wouldn't have to go this far!

I'll print it all off and have a good read through then.

Thanks again

Right I have got my head around the CAG court bundle!!! at last.

Just a quick one, In my pack I was going to photocopy the preliminary offer letter from Abbey, the one that says 'Without Predujice' to show the court that they have made me an offer which must surely show some kind of guilt.

Is this a good idea or should I not put this in?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Neil

Just a quick question as I am also at the same stage...can you include your reply to the WP offer especially as I didn't mark my letter WP?

Abbey £4340.59 *WON* Jan 07

Abbey II MCOL 31/03/07 £8800.00

Please note..I AM NOT AN EXPERT ANYTHING WHAT I POST IS PURELY MY OPINION AND MAY BE WRONG IT IS JUST BASED ON MY UNDERSTANDING OR EXPERIENCE

Read my latest claim its a fast track potentially

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/61406-noobrider-abbey-take-2-a.html?highlight=noobrider

read my first claim which includes attending a directions hearing in court

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/10576-noobrider-abbey.html?highlight=noobrider

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys and gals.

After 8 long months of paperwork and hassle it has all been worth it.

Abbey have settled out of court for the full amount inc. interest of £1235.

To be honest I was sceptical whether it would all come good and to be honest was getting a little scared of impending court appearances.

But after sending in the court bundle that was kindly supplied by the guys here, Abbey immediately sent letter saying they are settling out of court as their costs would be too high to go to court.

I am totally over the moon and would say to everyone who is in the same position, hold tight and take it all the way!!!

They will pay out in full!!

My money was put straight into my account and they haven't told me to close it so I'm well chuffed.

I'd like to thank everyone on here that have helped me get a result. I couldn't have done it without you.

Just a note though, I called Abbey credit card for my back statements to start all over again and they want £2.50 each statement!!!!

It would cost me £130 to get my 4 years worth of statements to do this again with my credit card!!!!

Are they allowed to charge this or is this their way or stopping people from doing it?

thanks again all and good luck to everyone who is claiming

Have a good Xmas!

Neil

Well done Handley999, I am about to send my bundle off to Barclays for a court hearing in January, and I have also got a case management hearing on Wednesday for my Abbey claim, and I am going to take my bundle with me :)

REFUNDED

Hubbys - HSBC £4,165 paid 18/8 after MCOL issued :)

HSBC - £651 paid 18/8 after MCOL issued :)

HSBC - £147 Prel 7/8, LBA 21/8, MCOL 6/9 £241

Hubby Halifax - Prel 29/7 £215, LBA 21/8, Offer rec. £110 22/8, MCOL 6/9 £298

Abbey - £2758 - Prel 26/6, LBA 10/7 - MCOL 26/7 £3,391, offer 25/8 £1,755.94, paid £3567.32 after Case manag hearing

Barclays - £675 Prel7/8, LBA 21/8, offer received £300 MCOL 6/9 £998 - Paid £1,012 before going to Court

Hello Bookworm,

Ive got my court date today (27/02/2007) regarding the Court Bundle. Im reading through it.

Just a couple of questions.

Do I attach (in my own words) the excerpts of the "relevant case law to penalty charges" to the details of the banks defence points???

Or do i have to put an example to all of them??

If it wasnt for people like you doing all that research for others we would be in a sinking ship!!!

Thanks so much look forward to your reply

Well guys and gals.

After 8 long months of paperwork and hassle it has all been worth it.

Abbey have settled out of court for the full amount inc. interest of £1235.

To be honest I was sceptical whether it would all come good and to be honest was getting a little scared of impending court appearances.

But after sending in the court bundle that was kindly supplied by the guys here, Abbey immediately sent letter saying they are settling out of court as their costs would be too high to go to court.

I am totally over the moon and would say to everyone who is in the same position, hold tight and take it all the way!!!

They will pay out in full!!

My money was put straight into my account and they haven't told me to close it so I'm well chuffed.

I'd like to thank everyone on here that have helped me get a result. I couldn't have done it without you.

Just a note though, I called Abbey credit card for my back statements to start all over again and they want £2.50 each statement!!!!

It would cost me £130 to get my 4 years worth of statements to do this again with my credit card!!!!

Are they allowed to charge this or is this their way or stopping people from doing it?

thanks again all and good luck to everyone who is claiming

Have a good Xmas!

Neil

Neil,

Well done:) :)

It just goes to show, stick to your guns and they always cave in, in the end

Have a Great Crimbo

VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE MY OWN - IF THEY HELP - PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Halifax - S.A.R - June 06

- Pre-Lim(£1665) July 06

- LBA - July 06

- MCOL - 15th Aug 06

- Acknowledged 18th Aug

- Settled IN FULL :eek:

- 2nd Claim Started - 12 Dec 2006

- SETTLED IN FULL:eek:

- 3rd Claim Started (Phone Call) 1st March 2007

Abbey National - S.A.R - 23/08/06

- Default Removal Letter sent 21st Sept

- LBA sent with Estimated Charges 4/10/06

- 2nd LBA 23/10/06

- N1 filed 9/11/06 - Deemed Served 16/11/06

- AQ & Draft Directions filed 19/12/06

- Court Hearing 22/3/07

- SETTLED IN FULL:o INCLUDING £5k COMPENSATION

Capital One - S.A.R. 10/10/06

Alliance & Leicester - Mortgage E/S/C Claim 02/03/07

Do I attach (in my own words) the excerpts of the "relevant case law to penalty charges" to the details of the banks defence points???

Or do i have to put an example to all of them??

No. You do not deal with the defence in your bundle.

Can you please post further questions in your own thread, so we don't hijack Handley's and so that you can keep the information all in one place. ;-)

Just a quick question as I am also at the same stage...can you include your reply to the WP offer especially as I didn't mark my letter WP?

in case you haven't had an answer to this, no you cant.

Generally a genuine offer of settlement marked as WP cannot be shown to the court neither can correspondence arising out of that letter, marked WP or not.

In some cases correspondence written before the one marked WP could also be deemed privileged too and before you ask I don't know precisely why but i read it very recently.

Be aware though just be cause a letter is marked WP doesn't mean it is privileged, it has to be e genuine attempt at a settlement otherwise i don't think it counts as WP.

HTH

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA