Jump to content

 

BankFodder BankFodder


  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • Dep Thx Eric's Brother. There was a person on this forum who told me his case was thrown out at the same court because of the contract. I requested more info, but he has disappeared since his case was dismissed.  I was just wondering whether it was worth whacking off a letter to IPS pointing out one of their members, using their logo, is making a claim based on illegal signage and other issues in contravention of their Code of Practice. Would they lean on VCS to withdraw, do you think?
    • Mother and father worked here and then went to SA in about 1978 returning to UK in about 1996 and worked here until 2016 when her husband died at age 66.  He was still working at the time.  She then went to live with daughter in SA.  Mother only claims for her pension. 
    • Thanks, I owe the money, no issue with that, I will SAR the company.  If I need to just pay it and have the CCJ for a few years so be it.  Just thought I'd explore all options
    • By the way you wrote that post, i can see that you are as confused by the situation as someone reading it. Important advice must be not to pay for any flights etc, until they understand the situation fully. Those that have British passports could be entitled to receive UK benefits. However, nothing is that straightforward. The passport does guarantee anything. The daughter could be entitled to Universal Credit ( which includes housing) as a British passport holder, but this can only be confirmed when she has gone through the Habitual Residency test (HRT). So you will need to read about HRT for British passport holders returning to the UK. There will be requirements to provide information about why they are returning to the UK and what work searches have they done to find work on their return to the UK. In regard to the mother who has a British passport, you will be correct in presuming that no council is going to be helpful in paying for the care home fees immediately on arrival in the UK. When did the mother last live in the UK ? When did the mother last work in the UK ? British embassy in South Africa may be able to provide information and assist with applications ? Just getting on a plane, landing in the UK and expecting help to resolve their situation, would be a silly thing to do. I can see the mother ending up in an NHS hospital for a period, while people wondered how they were going to deal with the situation. Probably not the first to do this, but if the mother also has a South African passport, they could put her on a plane back to SA and then the Daughter would be a difficult situation. Embassy in South Africa must be first place of advice.
    • There are online forums for people moving from South Africa to the UK. This is one of them.   https://moveup.co.za/2019/03/08/how-to-move-to-the-uk-a-step-by-step-guide/   If you want to speak to a social worker you could try the local council.   HB
  • Our picks

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 404 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

Hello

 

Having read a few horror stories, I just wanted to see if anyone could provide some advice to prevent some unwanted Bailiffs turning up.

 

In summary:

 

  • I used the Dartford crossing and did not pay the £2.50 Dart charge until the day after the following day (c.12 hours of of time)
  • I received a PCN c.2 months later which I admittedly did not do a huge amount with having believed I had paid it and, on a cursory glance, had actually believed was a receipt (...I know...)
  • I then received a charge certificate in October which I did nothing with straight away as I received it whilst out of the country and it didn't get looked at for a while
  • I then received an Order for Recovery which required action by the 27/11/2018
  • I submitted TE7 and TE9 in the evening of the 26/11/2018 so within time frame

 

Not withstanding the fact I believe I have a reasonable case for the fine being dropped given I did pay, albeit late, and the amount of charge is incorrect, it is now the 18th December, some 22 days after I submitted the TE7 and TE9 and I have heard no further word on the matter. If I need to pay up then so be it but I would like to avoid huge extra costs being lumped on because I have missed some nuance in the process etc.

 

I have my entire family round for Christmas and the last thing I want is bailiffs turning up and distraining the turkey.

 

Are there any preventative measures I can take now? All advice appreciated.

 

Many thanks in advance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you paid the Dart Charge after midnight the day after the crossing then unfortunately, your payment will not have been used to pay the crossing. Instead, it will remain as a credit on the Dart Charge system to be used when making a further crossing in the same vehicle.

 

You received the Order for Recovery and at that stage, you could have submitted a simple Witness Statement (TE9). Unfortunately, given your comments above (that you HAD received all the Statutory Notices), I cannot see that you would have had 'grounds' in which to submit a WS.

 

Despite not having grounds, you have nonetheless filed an Out of Time witness statement which appears to have been processed. You have stated that you have heard nothing further on the matter. Did you send the TE7 and TE9 by email or by post? If by email, you should have received an email from the Traffic Enforcement Centre to acknowledge receipt. Did you receive this?

 

PS: Out of interest, what did you state on the TE7?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks for this.

 

Yes, I submitted both the TE7 and TE9 by email on the 26th and received an email receipt from TEC on the same day.

 

I appreciate my grounds for appeal may not be seen as concrete... if I have to pay then so be it.

 

What I am seeking to avoid is an acceleration of the recovery process to the extent I get some high viz heavies at my door over Christmas. If the axe falls unfavourably, I'll settle. I'm just concerned that, having not heard anything, there may be a process in train that I should be aware of but am not which results in additional costs being lumped in and / or bailiffs turning up.

 

Additionally, if the next stage is to receive something in the post, I don't want to fall foul of deemed service timescales when we are in the midst of the Christmas post!

 

Is there any way to check the progress of my appeal? Or any action I can take to force an early response?

 

In answer to your question on the content of the TE7, my grounds were: (i) I was out of the country between 27/09/18 - 15/10/18 and did not see PCN dated 10/10/18 for some time; and (ii) on brief inspection of the PCN, I genuinely believed it was a further receipt given I had already paid the original charge in question in August 2018 and had received a bona fide receipt for it at the time (receipt provided).

 

Many thanks in advance for your advice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am pleased to hear that you have received an email acknowledgment from the Traffic Enforcement Centre. The Traffic Enforcement Centre (TEC) would have sent copies of your forms to Highways England (HE) on 27th November.

 

On receipt, Highways England would have been instructed to suspend enforcement of the warrant until a decision has been reached. They (HE) are given 19 business days (almost a month) to notify the Traffic Enforcement Centre if they wish to OPPOSE your application. Given the Christmas holiday period, you should expect to receive a letter from TEC some time towards mid January.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great, thank you for this.

 

Just looking at my calendar, I calculate a 19 working day period from the 27th November (assuming normal UK bank holidays) to expire at midnight on Christmas Eve! What a good stocking filler.

 

Couple of queries on this:

 

1) Do you think it's reasonable to assume that what is good for the goose is good for the gander and that the HE have to stick to usual working days (inc. public holidays) over the Christmas period?

2) Assuming (1) is a yes, will the HE be timed out if they have not notified TEC that they wish to oppose by the 27th November?

2) What does this mean in practice - is the penalty simply dropped?

3) Can I request some sort of summary judgement / finding from TEC on the 27th rather than waiting for a letter?

 

Again, thanks in advance. This really is most helpful!

 

Regards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although HE (or any other local authority) have 19 business days to respond, the Traffic Enforcement Centre will then have the task of PROCESSING their response.

 

If Highways England OPPOSE your application, the Traffic Enforcement Centre will then refer your case to a Court Officer for a decision. The time period for 'processing' responses is usually around 2 weeks. Given the Christmas holiday period, you should expect to receive a letter outlining the decision in around mid January so no need to panic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, thank you. I'll wait and see what the postman brings and might trouble you for some additional views if I've not heard anything by mid January.

 

Merry Christmas and thank you for your time and advice.

 

Regards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there BA

 

Thought you'd like to hear the update:

 

TEC have copied me in on an order to Dart Charge Customer Services confirming that I had correctly filed the stat dec / witness statement. Pleasingly they are now ordering that the order for unpaid penalty charge be revoked and the charge certificate is cancelled.

 

The original PCN has not been cancelled though and I need to contact Dart Charge to look at this... as they "may well take further action". They also note specifically that "The Authority [Dart Charge] should inform you as soon as possible if it intends to do so".

 

Going to try and get on the front foot with Dart Charge now and see if they will cancel the original PCN...here's hoping!

 

All tips / advice welcome...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Have we helped you ...?


×
×
  • Create New...