Faulty Dealership - Second Hand Car

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1942 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I bought a second hand Peugeot in June from a dealership.

It was 8 years old. 80k mileage.

I paid £1500 by bacs transfer.

8 weeks later the car had issues starting and the battery would die here and there.

I returned to the dealer who reassured me there were no underlying issues (and the cause was likely low coolent lebels :/ ) and continued using the car.

Couple of weeks pass and the car is making beep noises (nothing on dashboard) and strange pipe whistle sounds seem to be coming from the exhaust.

I took the car back to the dealer, he checked the car and said there were no underlying issues.

Few weeks after in September, I brokedown and breakdown recovery said the cause was a broken car radiator.

At this point, I wasn’t aware of my rights and I paid £120 for this to be replaced.

I thought this may have been the cause of the beeping and (perhaps due to overheating) the issue with battery but these issues continued and I started to notice oil leaks.

Of course at this point to rogue dealership refused to assist and told me I had no rights.

After much back and forth he agreed to have the car checked out by a mechanic (his choice) in October.

The mechanics highlighted various issues, the main being a badly damaged head gasket.

The dealership refused to meet the costs of the repairs and again after lots of back and forth and letter before action quoting CRA2015 ,after speaking to trading standards he agreed to replace the gasket.

4 weeks later, I noticed that the leaks continued (the beeping and issue with the flat battery when starting the car persisted throughout).

I went to an independent mexhanic who confirmed that the leaks, issues with starting the car and noises are a result of a broken head gasket ( the one that the dealership supposedly replaced 4 weeks ago).

The mechanic said whatever was done was a very temporary fix.

I am considering further action, any advice?

Is it worth me demanding a refund since his repair failed?

Cheers

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

send him a copy of the report that says the head gasket has failed and it was a bodged fix.

he has had his one chance to repair it under CRA2015

hes failed

its within 6mts, so demand a full refund in 14 days or you'll issue a court claim without any further notice

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

It's a shame that you have allowed yourself to be led around by the nose for so long.

Even though it is a very cheap vehicle, you should have put a stop to it much earlier on and frankly you should have continued with your proposed legal action unless you had your money back.

I would suggest that you send a letter of claim and then begin the legal action against them if they don't refund you your money within the timescale what you set out - 14 days.

Why haven't you told us the name of the dealer?

send him a copy of the report that says the head gasket has failed and it was a bodged fix.

he has had his one chance to repair it under CRA2015

hes failed

its within 6mts, so demand a full refund in 14 days or you'll issue a court claim without any further notice

cheers, I’ll get that done today.

@bankfodder. I know, I was completely ignorant of my rights. This was my first car. Trust me, really frustrated at myself as I desperately need a car to work aswell.

Frankly, the guys at the dealership are pretty agressive, I’m even a little worried about how to suggest arrangement of the return of the vehicle (though I’m almost certain they won’t give a refund). Would you put it to them to atrange for collection of the car. The 6 month period has past but I have been raising concerns since July and my initial letter before action was sent a couple of months ago. I’m concerned this will detriment my claim :(. Will sent the letter today and update you all. Thank you

Just follow the advice given by site team member: DX but this time at the expiry of the 14 days, issue the claim.

Sorry but it's a bit absurd to start sending threats and then say at the end of the 14 days if you don't do anything I'll-dollar path and then I'll do nothing.

I asked you who the dealer is that you haven't told us. Are you trying to protect them?

Oh sorry, if I were not clear, he ‘replaced’ the gasket which is why I didn’t proceed. But it’s since transpired that he just did a temporary fix hence the problem reoccurring. Unfortunately my limited car knowledge meant I took his word that the replacement occured when it hadn’t. It’s more a case of protecting myself as they are aggressive, know where I stay and could come accross the forum.

Well if you are frightened of them in that way, then how are you going to deal with having issued a court claim against them?

You may as well name them here. It won't make any difference but it will help others and also these people do care about their reputation a little bit.

I understand that there was a problem – a head gasket.

It was replaced and the head gasket failed. Since then the car has not been repaired. There is an ongoing defect.

Follow the advice here, send the letter of claim and then sue them. If you feel that this is not what you want to do because you are frightened then frankly there is nothing for you to do except suck it up, learn the lesson and have that nice feeling that somebody has trampled all of you.

What is the name of the dealer?

A faulty Dealership eh, that's going to take some fixing...................

H

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.