finaldj

CMS increased payments?

I posted in another site but I got no replies I'm guessing nobody could answer on there.

Who do you turn to for advice away from the CMS if they start getting funny over payments?

I had a 12k debt with them after finding out 2017 once it transfered from CSA to CMS.

They admitted it was their fault and told me to pay what I wanted towards the debt that I could afford. So as long as I was paying somethng they weren't bothered.

So in 2017 they agreed to take £171 for my daughter and £30 for arrears £201

A year later October 2018 they sent me a new break down based on my earnings the base payment went down to £168 but they increased arrears payments to £43 so I changed SO to £211 first payment came out in November this year. 1/11/2018 - 1/09/2019 £211

I then get a CMS message on my account on the 29th November a month after the last statement with a new one saying from 1/12/2018 - 1/09/2019 new payments are £1206 a month

I gave them a call to this ass of a women who ws under the impression that although my monthly earning were £1300 a month the arrears had to be paid and wasn't bothered I had a 5 year old to feed as well as pay rent and council tax etc

She then went away for about 5 mins and came back and couldn't explain where the £1206 came from and banged on about didn't you get a statement which I said yes for £168 a month plus £43 towards arrears £211 but for some reason even though I can see this on my account she couldn't find it.

She then told me my base payment was actually £149 a month not £168 even though my online account says different but this new £1206 statement they have just released says £149 and couldn't explain it.

She then told me actually we can only take a min payment for £250 a month today she seemed not interested that a month before they gave me a breakdown for the whole year for £211.

She wouldn't give me an explanation as why after issuing a statement already after getting HMRC details that they can only accept a min payment that was more than they originally said and got funny with me about enforcement action

Who do you actually go to for advice over this?

If your gross income is £1300 per month and you have one child living with you, your base payment should be £138.84.

Your gross income should be reduced by 11% as you have a 5 year old living with you. Reduce your gross income of £1300 by 11% (£143) = £1157

You should then pay 12% of gross income to your daughter - 12% of £1157 = £138.84

If you are on the Collect and Pay system, 20% is added as a fee by the CMS so your liability is £166.61 per month based on a gross monthly income of £1300, plus an amount towards arrears.

The CMS can take up to 40% of your gross income towards arrears. If collection of arrears is causing you hardship, you should submit a budget statement and request that arrears repayments are reduced. It is up to the CMS whether or not the amount collected for arrears is reduced.

Thanks for getting in touch,

My wage changes each month as working weekeds pays a bit more some months than others so I would say £1280 - £1400 month to month.

My main complaint was that they sent a break down of payments for 12 months for £211 inc £43 towards the arrears. £168 being the base payments.

A month later they send me a message with another new break down for 12 months at £1206 a month dropping my base payments down to £149 and arrears payements of £1057.

They couldn't even tell me where they got that figure from. Then out of the blue just decided to up my arrears another £40 a month.

All I called for was to ask for an explanation as to why they changed things less then a month later after writing to me and she get funny with me on the phone when she couldn't explain.

I understand about the 40% they can take but I know they have to take into account my financial situation so they don't leave me with out providing for every day essentials.

So just to bump this thread up.

They told me to wait for a letter to come before I increased my SO to the agreed £250 on the phone. This letter hasn't come yet but I thought I would check on my online account anyway and noticed instead of £250 a month they have put it to £261.50 a month.

It's just a joke. It was £200 a month for a year then in November increased arrears payments to £211 a month. Then the month after wanted £1206 I called them agreed the arrears were £250 a month and now my online account says £261.50 a month how does that work?

You should pay your ongoing liability plus an amount towards the arrears. For arrears, the CMS can take up to 40% of your income which is at the discretion of the CMS.

If you disagree with the amount taken for arrears, you should follow the complaints process, provide a budget statement showing that the arrears payments are causing you hardship and argue to have them reduced.

I think that is what I will have to do sooner or later. I'm aware they can take upto 40% so far they haven't asked for a budget and I haven't really argued with them over the phone.

My gripe is not so much paying the arrears it's the way they are doing it. had a HMRC statement from them which worked out my earnings to pay for 12 months with increased arrears for 2019. but then a month later changed that to 98% of my wage.

Fair enough it might have been an error on the computers part trying to claim back the arrears in 12 months.

Made a phone call to enquire about it, mentioned the statement for the next 12 months including increased arrears I was paying back already inc in that statement and basically just wanted the £1206 reverted back to the £211 they had set it to for the next 12 months. only when she went away and came back she said we can only take a min £250 payment from today for the next 12 months.

So I agreed with that I then asked shall I changed my SO now then. She said no wait for a letter to come. this was on the 30th November still no letter but I have seen changes on my online account where the forcast for the next 12 months is £261.50 so this wasn't the agreed amount on the phone.

My case being its not that I am refusing to pay arrears it's them saying one thing then doing another.

I checked my online account the other day after I sent them a message about the £261.50 and it went back to £211. Only the next day it was back to £261.50 so I messaged them again and I've just checked before I wrote this and it was back to £211.

So not sure what is going on and reluctant to call them. I've screen shotted with dates to show changes on my account day by day so that I have some evidence to show I can't keep track of it.

It was CSA in the first place that got me into 12k debt they admitted liablity for it I've got a copy of the recording for that so they did say as long as I was paying something to the arrears it was ok.

Seems CSA and CMS are just the same people with a name change.

hope you are recording your phonecalls…….

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

hope you are recording your phonecalls…….

No I don't have the means to do that....However they do appear to record all their calls, least that is my understanding from the copy of the sar request I put in last year and the evidance they sent me

Just an update to this thread CMS sent me a letter on my account tonight with a 14 day response time.

They have said I have missed 4 payments of £50.50 and want an explanation.

As per the start of this thread

a letter never came for the agreed £250 per month despite my online account saying £261.50 per month.

I contact them VIA my online account

they have a message centre to contact them regarding things with my account but never bothered to respond ...did this twice over a number of weeks.

I also took screen shots of my account statement over a 5 day period in December

my account was saying £261.50 one day

the next it was saying £210.84,

261.50 the day after that

then 210.84 etc.

The £210.84 was the original 2018-2019 payments set out for the next 12 months

the conversation on the phone was different to what was happening on my account.

I looked on my account tonight and the only letters on my account are as follows.

£210.84 2018-2019 statement

£1200 a month statement for 2018-2019 (which was a mistake on their part)

The letter they sent me today saying I had missed 4 payments of £50.50

Should I call them or write to them with the screen shots provided asking where the £261.50 came from

on the phone they said £250 a month and don't make any changes till the letter comes.

even if you take away the £50.50 from the £261.50 it comes to £211 which is still not accurate to the £210.84 on my account.