• Tweets

• I was going through the defence briefly and saw option for counterclaim. Do I counterclaim? What do i need to pay attention to while filing a defence?   Thank you.
    • no dates in that poc at all? jacamo is their Male clothing catalogue or was... what is the last payment date and the defaulted date from her credit file please
    • When someone claims UC they are asked about claiming Council Tax benefit, but at the time they started the claim it might not be relevant or they may not bother to indicate whether they are claiming it or intend to claim it.  Therefore UC does not send any data to the Council.   It is up to the Council whether they want to claim Council Tax arrears from benefits.  But before the Council can do so, they will have exhausted other options.  @Man in the middlehas provided a much better and comprehensive post on the process the Council will go through.   The advice for Walshy is communicate with the Council, ensuring that they have all available information on financial ability to pay, as well as health vulverabilities.  If the Council have been provided with this information and have failed to respond, then enter into the Councils complaints process. 
    • Again, many thanks. I am learning all the time.  
    • Hi,  I guess the DCAs have come out of hibernation as my friend has had a Claim Form today.  Honestly I feel like I have addressed this one but she can't find the folder box I gave her to keep all this nonsense in, but then the claim form has no information you could realistically use to find out what its from anyway   JD has a few names under their umbrella and she has had accounts with most of them over the years, some repeatedly as they keep lending to someone with no income. Its ok at the start when its only a little bit but they rapidly put it up and up until she owes in the high hundreds/low thousands instead of the £150 she is initially given, she always intends to keep it in good standing but there is a massive difference between paying £20 a month and over £100 and the usual poor grammar that should be an embarrassment to any normal legal firm, but I suppose these people have no shame.   I assume its the same respond for more time and send off a CPR and CCA?   Name of the Claimant ?  Cabot Financial Date of issue – 22/02/2021   Particulars of Claim   What is the claim for – the reason they have issued the claim?  1.By an Agreement between JD Williams Ltd RE Jacamo & the defendant dated XX ('the agreement') JD Williams Ltd RE Jacamo agreed to issue the Defendant with a credit account.    2.The Defendant failed to make the minimum payments due.    3.The Agreement was terminated following the service of a default notice.    4.The agreement was assigned to the Claimant.    THE CLAIMANT THEREFOR CLAIMS 1.8XX.XX 2. costs   What is the total value of the claim? £8XX.XX    Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ?  No   Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred? Yes   Did you inform the claimant of your change of address? No Is the claim for - a Bank Account (Overdraft) or credit card or loan or catalogue or mobile phone account? Catalogue   When did you enter into the original agreement before or after April 2007 ? After   Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ? Online   Is the debt showing on your credit reference files (Experian/Equifax /Etc...) ?  Yes   Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. Debt Purchaser   Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? Possibly, she was(and is) very poor at keeping and responding to correspondence.     Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? Possibly, she was(and is) very poor at keeping and responding to correspondence.   Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ? Possibly, she was(and is) very poor at keeping and responding to correspondence.   Why did you cease payments? More than she could afford.     What was the date of your last payment? No Idea as we do not not which account it is for.     Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? No   Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? Possibly but can't say for sure.    
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 33 replies

Tv Licence warrant for missed payments of debt

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 822 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Some months back I opened the door to the Tv Licensing people, and made agreement to pay licence in small amounts, Due to illness and having to move on to benefits I could not afford to keep making the payments.

Today i received a warrant for arrest for non payment of the debt, I am really worried that I may be arrested, but all the same,at the back of my mind something tells me that the warrant is not what it seems to be, It is printed on card sealed on 3 edges. the front says its from HM courts and tribunals services,but the inside looks more like a tv licence warning, but says "Details can be circulated to police" amongst other things like don't delay contact us now. It has my name account number and contact details written in ink.

I rang the number, while hiding my own, and asked who I was speaking too, at first all the man would say was his name, but after some persistence he said he was from the magistrates court. He did not seem genuine. So I'm not sure if it is a real warrant or not .How can I tell if it is genuine ?

Edited by honeybee13
typing mistakes, paras - HB

Put the number up here please

Moved to tvl forum

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

ok ive taken that down its a mobile number

I would suggest thats a court bailiff.

phone the magistrates court and get to the bottom of what is going on.

I would suspect you got a fine as the TVL 'signature' you gave supposedly to enter in to a payment plan was also admittance that you'd used a TV without a licence.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The paper you sign IS a statement saying I admit to using a tv that I capable of watching live broadcasted programs.

You've signed your own death warrant really.

But the goon at your door will not tell you this as they work for capita on commission.

Warning to others, if the tv licencing goons come knocking, tell them to foxtrot Oscar. They have NO right to enter, they can assume anything they want. Tell them to go away and shut the door.

The paper you sign IS a statement saying I admit to using a tv that I capable of watching live broadcasted programs.

You've signed your own death warrant really.

But the goon at your door will not tell you this as they work for capita on commission.

Warning to others, if the tv licencing goons come knocking, tell them to foxtrot Oscar. They have NO right to enter, they can assume anything they want. Tell them to go away and shut the door.

Best advice..dont be embarrassed..dont say or sign anything.