RAC Breakdown damaged my Car

battyman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1765 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I wonder if anyone could advise me on behalf of my son.

His car recently had a problem and he called the RAC out to deal with it. The car, which is automatic, was towed to a garage. The car was hooked up and driven at 50 miles an hour or more, this resulted in his gear box being damaged. His car was repaired for the original problem when it broke down but the garage commented on the problem with the gear box.

Renault recommended that a car being towed should not be over 15 miles per hour. This has been taken up with the RAC who have taken 3 weeks to get back to him to say after speaking with the RAC man concerned that they would not be able to help with the cost of repair to his car and other costs. They still had the tracking of the speed and have said it was only going at 30 miles per hour.

My son has asked for a copy of the tracking information but the RAC spokesperson who is dealing with his complaint have said they cannot or will not supply him with a copy of the tracking. The garage where the car was repaired have said the tracking information would prove it was the speed that has caused the gear box failure.

The car is old and that is what the RAC are saying, it is because of the age of the car. If that is their reckoning why do they not just supply the proof. Is there anything he can do to get the RAC to supply him with the tracking information?

Any help greatly appreciated. His car is in the garage by the way and will cost over a £1000 to repair, as my son is self employed and uses his car for his business he has had to get a loan to buy another car.

Edited by Andyorch
Paras

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Yes, generally speaking automatic vehicles should not be towed at any speed and certainly there should not be towed anything faster than 15 to 20 miles an hour and even then there is a risk.

Send the RAC an SAR immediately and that will give them 30 days to return all the data they hold on you which hopefully should include the tracking data.

In a separate envelope send them a letter asking them to supply you with a tracking data and point out to them that if they will not do this and if they will not pay for the repairs of the gearbox that you will be starting a County Court action against them and that if they refused to supply the tracking data to the judge then you are sure that the court will be pleased to draw its own conclusions.

Tell them that if they will not cooperate with you then you will start a County Court action within 14 days. Don't bluff about this. Be prepared to take the action otherwise don't bother to send the letter.

Let us know what happens. Spent 14 days reading up around the forum about how to bring a County Court action. It is very easy and relatively cheap and on the basis of what you have told us I estimate your chances up much better than 90%.

You only have to prove that the RAC caused the damage on the balance of probabilities and this means that you have to persuade the judge 51% that what you're saying is correct. If the RAC refuses to supply the tracking data or if magically they say to the court that it has been destroyed then I'm pretty certain that the court will simply choose to believe you.

The chances are that once you issue the court papers, that the RAC will settle with you including your costs.

Let us know what happens and of course we will be pleased to help you all the way including drafting the claim.

what is the car?

how was it towed..front or rear?

neighbour had a rac garage come out in Scotland to tow his car.

the garage [not rac van but garage franchise] front towed his smart car.

that's a rear wheel drive car

they coughed...

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 months later...

Thank you for all of your replies. I have passed on the information and as the RAC are not prepared to take any action or supply the tracking information my son has decided to take it to court. Should he still ask for the SAR or should he go straight on to court? They admitted in their email the tow truck as not doing over 30. As it is automatic it shouldnt have been front towed at all. Any help greatly appreciated.

We gave you the advice in Nov 2018 ...and you have still not sent a DSAR.

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

No they havent sent anything as they managed to get a loan for another car as they couldnt drive the one the RAC damaged and they are self employed and need it for work.

They went through Money Barn, need I say more, they drove away with a near death trap, I have set up another thread about that.

They have been through hell and back since November and are still suffering.

Because they are desperate for a car they need some help.

do you advise to still send the SAR even though they want to take it to court?

Sorry if it sounds a bit dim asking this but want to help them as best I can.

Thank you.

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

" So do you advise to still send the SAR even though they want to take it to court? "

Even more reason...unless you wish to sue without any evidence?

• 4 months later...

They have finally sent the DSAR to RAC but not had a reply after 30 days. I think they need to send a letter now to the ICO? Is there a template letter to send? Thank you for your help.

ring and ask where it is?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

no the queen

• Like 1

and they

This may be a silly question, but I assume your son did make it clear to the recovery man that it was a rear wheel drive automatic?

I find it a little bit hard to believe that the RAC towed it at speeds up to and over 50 mph.  (Is that even legal?)  I assume your son must have been in the RAC cab with the driver to know the speeds.  Didn't he say anything?  (Not that this necessarily absolves the RAC driver of any blame).