Motorbike pillion insurance

SpeedyCBR1100
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1958 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. This has become a talking point between me and my biker mates. Why are we asked to pay pillion insurance?

My full bike licence entitles me to carry a pillion, and I do not need an insurance company's further permission.

Car drivers are not asked to pay for passenger insurance.

Several of us have asked our insurance companies, normally at renewal, what this is for. Answers range from "It's illegal to carry a pillion if they aren't insured seperately" to "It's so we can represent the pillion if they are injured."

The first is obviously wrong, the second raises so many further questions that it is untenable. Would they really represent the pillion against their own insured if the insured were at fault? I know that drivers/riders can be liable if an injury is caused by their actions.

We just haven't been able to find a definitive answer and I know that several people believe that it's just another way to get a few extra pounds from us.

Thank you in advance for any interest.

Yes, it is a way to get more money.

A couple of years ago I called an insurance company and started by saying that if I couldn't get a cheap price I would worn the bike.

The bloke on the phone said I didn't need pillion cover as long as I had a full licence which I have.

Got the call recorded as usual.

However, this year another insurance asked the question: would you ever carry a pillion passenger?

If I said yes the price would go up by 25% approx.

Total rip off.

if it helps i often tick each box [with pillion, without pillion] during a round of comparisons and i dont recall the price changing due to it. I reckon it only affects the loading/premium [reduces the cost 'without'] for inexperienced riders.

I think I would be asking for exact details of additional cover it provides. Under FCA rules Insurance companies have to provide clear information on the cover they are trying to sell, so consumers can make an informed choice.

Are they restricting any cover under their standard policies in respect of pillions and providing it as a separate optional section of cover ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Uncle, I asked exactly that and I was told that they tailor the premium based on statistics.

Apparently carrying a pillion makes it more likely to have an accident, thus the increased premium.

Under the same principle carrying screaming children in the car distracts the driver, so should they up the price?

They even ask if you are a smoker.

Well, I am but I can't drive a motorbike and smoke at the same time, so why does it matter?

It's all designed to squeeze as much money as possible out of us.

I believe I ride MORE carefully when I'm carrying a pillion. I seldom filter in those circumstances. One mate went to sleep on a trip from Luton to Sheffield. I would accept that any claim may be larger if a pillion was on board as there may be 2 sets of injuries but, in my own experience I honestly cannot remember an accident where I was at fault. (Touch wood.)