Pre-98 (mortgage style) student loans with HSL

BadMojo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1983 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone.

I'm getting anxious about my currently deferred student loan and seeking some advice/guidance/reassurance, please.

I have four mortgage style student loans from the early 90s and as I’ve beenbelow the threshold I have been deferring them; every year since I graduated. It’s all been pretty straight forward and deferment granted promptly.

Last year’s deferment letter from Honours Student Loans(and maybe several before that) said, if memory serves, I was in breach of theloan T&Cs as I no longer have a direct debit in place. It must have ‘timedout’, as I’m sure there used to be one.

As I’m now within a few years of my loan being written off I’m keen not to do anything that could be used against me by placing me in breach of the T&Cs and put me in arrears during my final few years.

I’m winding myself up by reading the entire internet on whether the T&Cs actually state I must have an active direct debit inplace, even if I’m currently in deferment. So my questions is, when I receive my next deferment letter should I give them my bank account details, or even call them to provide them now, or shouldn’t I?

On the subject of the deferment paperwork – have HSL changed it this year (2018)? Will my paperwork be different in 2019? If so, should I approach it differently?

The next issue is difficult for me, as I think I may have been filling the deferment form out incorrectly. I haven’t been including Child Tax Credits as income as the advice I received at the time was that it didn’t count as taxable income and therefore didn’t need to be included on the form. But now I’m reading that I should have been declaring it? If so, then would your advice be to start putting it on the form from next year? The tax credits would place me close to, but I think still under, the threshold.

As I haven’t been declaring child tax credits and probably should have been, would this be grounds for me to be regarded as in breach of the T&Cs and effect future deferment/write-off?

If I should declare it, do I need to declare 100% or canI declare 50% as it’s in joint names with my wife and her income doesn’t count?

Many thanks for your help.

Edited by BadMojo

they cant change the rules

they cant change the forms

they cant make up silly stuff like you've no S so you've defaulted or whatever crap they are coming out with.

if you go back to this forums home page

you'll see a sticky containing the old SLC deferment form

use that in the future not their stupid one.

you must also be getting never 25yrs or 50 old age?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

It's the 25 years I'm approaching and online tails of people getting close to these dates and being leant on for payment are freaking me out.

Please note that these documents only apply to deferment

applications processed by SLC. Any deferment applications processed by the

private sector fall to be processed in line with the debt owner’s own

processes and guidelines.

I take it this part is irrelevant and original SLC forms are still being successfully used?

Edited by BadMojo

use the slc form..they cant refuse it

well ignore them..

there is very little they can do if you are not earning nor ever will above the thread hold.

even if you forgot to defer you just send one in late.

the other lot [erudio] that you've im sure read about wee taken to course for insisting on a DD and using that to default old loans and trashing peoples files.

they got well turned over by the FOS/FCA etc

they are now offering upto 50% discount sc@mming letters to all the 10'000 of people like you that they know they'll never get anything out of.

shame their letters reset the SB date so anyone that is stupid enough to pay will be chased for the rest !!

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I've been unable to find anything specifically relating to partner's income and tax credits.

Does anyone know if I can legitimately declare 50% of tax credits as it's in joint names and therefore half my wife's and I don't have to declare her income?

Although I think it would be hard to argue as I'd have to send a copy of the benefit award statement and it'll show 100% and they'd probably just work off that.

This is probably academic, as I'll more than likely still be well under the 2018/2019 threshold -I just want to do it by the book.

Edited by BadMojo

tax credits are for the family to live on not pay stupid loans

you are under the threshold anyway.

no you do not put you partners income..the loan was not made to them..but to you.

and they