Jump to content


Merrymaiden

Accepting job offer but another interview next week

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 339 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

 

Possibly a hypothetical question but like to be prepared. Had an interview earlier, job sounds great but when I got home invite to interview from another employer in my inbox for next Wednesday. This 2nd job would suit me better (nearer home, more akin to my current role and better hours).

 

I was told at this morning's interview that they would let me know either way today. If I am lucky enough to get the offer, I would be mad not to accept, but still inclined to go for next week's interview as well. What are the ethics of accepting a possible offer today, then changing my mind if I get the other offer next week? Other half says I need to do whats best for me, and if I end up needing to rescind my acceptance its not a big deal, but I hate to let people down.

 

Might not even get the offer from today, but trying to get my head straight on what to do if it does come good ... :( Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no reward for loyalty in the workplace anymore. Do what's best for you.

If the first company found someone better that they wanted more than you they wouldn't hesitate to drop you in favour of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Maxx has a point. It's not a nice thing to do to an employer, but we've seen people dropped shortly before they're supposed to start a new job, having resigned from the previous one. HB


Illegitimi non carborundum

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next week interview may not offer you the job

You might not like working for todays employer.

Your decision! but be courteous to both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all,I assume if I haven't signed any formal acceptance if an offer from today was forthcoming, I can withdraw, however inconvenient it would be to the employer. I know there is no guarantee I'd get next week's either, but only wish the vacancies had come up the other way around as today's would be a good 2nd choice ... just got to wait for the phone call now, almost hoping its a negative so will sort the situation for me ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

how about telling them the truth, you have another interview and would like a week to make that big decision. They might get the hump but if they decided to withdraw the offer then so be it.

i doubt if you were expected tio start on monday so it is no skin off their nose but would show their true colours. Alternately set a start date that is far away enough to be able to let them down gently. Happens all the time.

I have had job offers in the past where the employer later changed their mind and either employed someone more local or promoted someone in house ( saves them a salary). Nothing I could do but it is not very comfortable to keep asking your work colleagues for references

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Have we helped you ...?


×
×
  • Create New...