• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Me vs Them ###won###

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6067 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, this is my 1st post. If this has already been covered sorry but here goes...

The stage I am at is that having sent the 1st letter (Prelim request) )to Barclays they have made me a settlement offer of less than 1/2 my claim. Now I have no intention of accepting this offer but my question is what do I do next:

Do I send the Rejection Letter

OR

do I just send the LBA once the 14 days runs out

OR

do I send them both?

Cheers guys!

Simon.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

send letter of rejection in response to offer

send lba after 14 days r up

-----------------------------------------------

Mortgage Express charges- settled in full after issuing claim

------------------------------------------------

To view the FAQ'S click here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

To view the PRELIM letter click here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/516-1-data-protection-act.html

To view the Letter Before Action click here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/92-3-letter-before-action.html

To find Registered Address:

http://www.esd.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/esd/search.asp

If my advise helps click here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/reputation.php?p=366404

This is the letter i will send:

20th November 2006

Barclays Bank PLC

Personal Banking

Leicester

LE87 2BB

RE: SORT CODE: ........

ACCOUNT NUMBER: .......

Response to settlement offer.

Dear [named sender or Sirs]

Thank you for your letter dated xx/xx/xx

I respectfully decline your offer of settlement and request, once again, that you return to me all charges imposed on this account, totalling £xxxx

I will accept the sum offered only as part settlement and on the clear understanding that I will pursue recovery of the remainder, with a County Court claim if necessary.

Yours bla bla bla

I am leaving this bit out:

My letter before action sent previously indicates that you have until xx/xx/xx to respond before Court action commences. You are reminded that there will be no extension to this timescale.

because i havent yet sent the LBA. Is this correct? I know the answer is yes but I just want to clarify!!

Cheers again.

Simon.

yea i did put the 8% into the rejection letter. I refered them to my previous letter etc where the 8% was.

I havent sent the letter tonight so if someone tells me opposite overnight i will send the rej with the int in it.

my Letter Before Action is due to go out in a couple of days anyway and i want the figures on that and the rejection to be the same.

Plus just to be safe, i called barclays to reject the offer. I called an office in Swansea on 0845 3004028.

Hope this helps...

and nice on Chell. Congrats!!

Simon.

yea i did put the 8% into the rejection letter. I refered them to my previous letter etc where the 8% was.

I havent sent the letter tonight so if someone tells me opposite overnight i will send the rej with the int in it.

my Letter Before Action is due to go out in a couple of days anyway and i want the figures on that and the rejection to be the same.

Plus just to be safe, i called barclays to reject the offer. I called an office in Swansea on 0845 3004028.

Hope this helps...

and nice on Chell. Congrats!!

Simon.

I assume the 8% you mention is the sec.69 interest, this doesnt apply UNTIL you issue a court claim. You Can't claim sec 69 at 8% until such time as you actually issue court procedings so be careful about asking for it before then.

Alliance & leicester:Settled 8/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/alliance-leicester-successes/19700-tamadus-l.html?highlight=tamadus

Capital One:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/capital-one/16644-tamadus-capital-one.html?highlight=tamadus

MBNA 2 accounts:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-institutions-successes/13831-tamadus-mbna-i.html?highlight=tamadus

Smile:Settled 15/11/06

Egg Card:S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 2/10/06

GE Money:S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent3/8/06 LBA sent 26/9/06

Abbey:ERC prelim sent 14/9/06. LBA sent 2/10/06. Now it's getting interesting so keep watching

Barclaycard:In criminal default watch this space

Lloyds TSB:In criminal default watch this space

If my comments have been useful please click the scales and let me know.

when i sent the prelim letter asking for charges back i followed the template letter on this site and calculated the 8% interest on the spreadsheet. Was i not meant to do this?

Do you think when I send my LBA i should leave out the 8% part and just put the charges?

This has confused me a little!!

Hi Simon

I think that the 8% needs to be calculated but does not apply until you send of the info to the court, so from what i can gather the 8% does not go on the rejection letter or the LBA. Any site helpers out there who can clarify this would be greatly appreciated.

I do have a problem though in that i calculated my interest all wrong in the first place and now even with the 8% it comes to about 50 quid less. Not sure whether to put the correct amount on the rejection letter or leave it at the original. I am under the impression that they dont actually read these letters anyway.

cheers

I think I've been a bit of a plonker here...

I sent my prelim claim to barclays and i accidently used the simple spreadsheet which calculated the 8% interest which I am now aware can only be claimed at the Moneyclaim stage.

What shall I do now? Carry on with the claim, send an ammended Prelim letter or just ammend the amount in the LBA?

I'm sending a letter to reject their offer of 1/2 back today, so I'll edit that to say I want the £295 in charges and leave out the £48 interest.

Please don't tell be I've beggered this one up!!

Cheers guys and gals!

Simon.

The sec.69 interest of 8% is totally at the discretion of the court. You actually have to ask the court to include it when you file a claim. It is NOT reclaimable before the court claim stage.

The accepted method is to total your charges and using one of Vampiress's spreadsheets calculate the amount of interest the bank have applied as a result of those charges. That forms the basis of your claim.

If you have to issue a moneyclaim in court then you ask the court to apply the 8% (which you have to calculate again using Vampiress's excellent spreadsheets). You can also ask the court to continue adding the 8% at a daily rate until settlement is made.

If your initial claim to the bank was made adding in 8% sec.69 interest then you can ammend your figures in the rejection letter. Ammending things only becomes complex once a claim has been filed at court.

You need your claim to the bank to be as accurate as possible (although you will never get it exactly right as they have some wonderful ways of calculating these things) I would go over the calculation again and use the spreadsheets, pointing out in your rejection letter that you have ammended the total due to you.

Alliance & leicester:Settled 8/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/alliance-leicester-successes/19700-tamadus-l.html?highlight=tamadus

Capital One:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/capital-one/16644-tamadus-capital-one.html?highlight=tamadus

MBNA 2 accounts:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-institutions-successes/13831-tamadus-mbna-i.html?highlight=tamadus

Smile:Settled 15/11/06

Egg Card:S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 2/10/06

GE Money:S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent3/8/06 LBA sent 26/9/06

Abbey:ERC prelim sent 14/9/06. LBA sent 2/10/06. Now it's getting interesting so keep watching

Barclaycard:In criminal default watch this space

Lloyds TSB:In criminal default watch this space

If my comments have been useful please click the scales and let me know.

I wouldn't worry too much. They have offered you less than what you are owed. Just write back and reject their offer but refer to the amount minus the 8% interest

04 Nov 06 - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter sent

16 Nov 06 - Statements received - £2685.00 of illegal charges incurred

17 Nov 06 - PAR (Preliminary Approach for Repayment) letter sent

01 Dec 06 - Received Stalling letter from Barclays

02 Dec 06 - LBA (Letter Before Action) sent

18 Dec 06 - Claim filed with MCOL

20 Dec 06 - Settlement Rejection letter sent

03 Jan 07 - Claim acknowleged by Barclays

22 Jan 07 - Claim defended by Barclays

You wanna know how you do it? Here's how, they pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue!

Please click the scales at the bottom left if you find my advice useful. However, the advice I give is only my opinion based on my experience, I am not trained in Law!

Ok, cheers for that mate.

Just briefly this is the ammended rejection letter I will send. Does it sound ok? The main bit I'm concerned about is the ammended total part. Sorry if all this has been covered elsewhere, I am at work and cant spend too long scrolling the net so this is the quickest way i can get info.

Barclays Bank PLC

Retail Banking Customer Relations

PO Box 449

SWANSEA

SA1 5WY

RE: SORT CODE:

ACCOUNT NUMBER:

Response to settlement offer.

Dear Gaynor Mills

Thank you for your letter dated 15/11/2006

I respectfully decline your offer of settlement and request, once again, that you return to me all charges imposed on this account, totalling £295.00. Please note this is an amended total. My original claim, dated 08/11/2006, totalled £343.19.

I will accept the sum offered only as part settlement and on the clear understanding that I will pursue recovery of the remainder, with a County Court claim if necessary.

My letter sent previously indicates that you have until 23/11/2006 to respond. You are reminded that there will be no extension to this timescale.

I trust this clarifies my position.

Yours faithfully

Simon Woodhouse

I have only sent the prelim letter so might have to remove the "no extension to this timescale" part as I still have to send an LBA (tomorrow).

cheers again guys!

Simon.

Looks good to me. Stick to your timetable and don't allow them to delay/ dissuade/ bully you into anything you don't want to do.

As for the amended total, you could also write:

"I respectfully decline your offer of settlement and request, once again, that you return to me all charges imposed on this account, totalling £295.00. My original claim, dated 08/11/2006, totalled £343.19.This figure included interest at 8% which of course will be added to the amount if I am forced to file through the Small Claims Court."

Hope this is of use.

04 Nov 06 - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter sent

16 Nov 06 - Statements received - £2685.00 of illegal charges incurred

17 Nov 06 - PAR (Preliminary Approach for Repayment) letter sent

01 Dec 06 - Received Stalling letter from Barclays

02 Dec 06 - LBA (Letter Before Action) sent

18 Dec 06 - Claim filed with MCOL

20 Dec 06 - Settlement Rejection letter sent

03 Jan 07 - Claim acknowleged by Barclays

22 Jan 07 - Claim defended by Barclays

You wanna know how you do it? Here's how, they pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue!

Please click the scales at the bottom left if you find my advice useful. However, the advice I give is only my opinion based on my experience, I am not trained in Law!

Re: Claiming the 8 % interest- don't worry.

I did the same thing. But when I rejected their offer, I simply explained that I had inadvertently included the 8% interest and that this was an error on my behalf and then I cited the correct amount of the claim (minus 8 % interest)

It didn't affect my claim and I have as good as won, It's just that I'm too lazy too check that they have paid the money into my account from last week.

cheers you two.

I'll be sending the rejection this lunch time then the LBA on Thursday.

I kind of hope it gets to the court stage so i can request the 8% as well! but then again it mightn't be worth the hassle for £48.

Cheers again.

Abbey and Barclaycard next (minus their microfished stalling defence!!)

Hay guys,

Just about to send my LBA. My claim is relitively small compared to some people on here (£295) but every penny helps! I'm kind hoping this goes the full hog so I can claim the 8% at the court stage! I've not calculated the overdraft interest either. Odd as it sounds Barclays were quite good with me when I was a student, kept increasing the limit instead of letting me go over. But or lovely relationship died on its ar5e when after uni they made me take out a Resolve Loan to pay off the OD - b@stards (why has this become a link!?!)!!

Any road, gonna post it now using works lovely franking machine. Wish me luck.

Simon.

one more question if that's ok...

When i sent my origional Prilim Request I accidently used the wrong spreadsheet and calulated the 8% and made a claim for this as well. Now i am sending the LBA I have acknowledged this. Does this paragraph sound ok?

I calculate that you have taken £295 in charges. My total claim is £295. This is an amended total. My original claim, dated 08/11/2006, totalled £343.19.This figure included interest at 8% which of course will be added to the amount if I am forced to file through the Small Claims Court. I am enclosing a copy of the schedule of the charges which I am claiming. I have already sent you a copy of this in my original letter of the 08/11/2006.

Cheers dude!

Si