Smart Meters A discussion

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 705 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Is that with EON hightail?

Don't think so. Think it's BG but I'd have to check. I can't see a single advantage for her in having the thing but she didn't know there was any choice. I don't see any disadvantage either to be fair as nothing has changed - just a complete waste of time (and money).

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think so. Think it's BG but I'd have to check. I can't see a single advantage for her in having the thing but she didn't know there was any choice. I don't see any disadvantage either to be fair as nothing has changed - just a complete waste of time (and money).

I know its a pain in the rear,

but if your aunt believed that she had to have it fitted due to the wording of a letter or telephone conversation from whoever is the supplier,

... raise a formal complaint based on that and tell them you want it replaced with a normal meter - and replaced, not just that they have 'disabled' the features.

You know what IS patriotic?

Loving your country enough to care for its old and poor, fund its institutions, unite its communities, feed, house and educate its children, restore and live in balance with its environment, plan with care for its future, build its alliances, and perhaps above all - tell it the truth

The Tory Legacy

Record high: taxes, immigration, excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Record low: living standards and investment

Crumbling Hospitals, schools, council services, businesses and roads

They squander taxpayer money by the £thousands on a failed ex-PMs luxury troughing on a plane, rather than feed UK children

What changes would they be Malc?

and still waiting ....

Hello tobyjugg2 and I was talking primarily about changes to many of the letters we send about smart meters.

As above, these include statutory meter exchanges, updates about the roll-out of SMETS2 and upgrades to SMETS1 (posts #10 and #24 - 20 and 21 Nov). We've changed the wording to make it clear smart meters are optional and customers can decline our offers to have them fitted.

Also, in line with your suggestion on 21 Nov (post #25), we're adding details of the benefits similar to those I outlined in my comments on 23 Nov (#post 30) to many of these letters. This is an ongoing project and the details will change as the roll-out continues. Accordingly, our letters will change to reflect these developments. Given the number of letters involved, they go out in batches over a period of time.

What is it you would like to see 'tested.... here beforehand' tobyjugg2?

Malc

No worries hightail. Thought I might be able to add something if it was us.

Thanks for coming back to me.

Malc

but if your aunt believed that she had to have it fitted due to the wording of a letter or telephone conversation from whoever is the supplier,

She's very old and just wouldn't have argued - wouldn't even have known what it was. I simply don't understand how a supplier can install them and then continue to transfer money which isn't owed from a customer's bank account into their own. What's the point of the things?

She's very old and just wouldn't have argued - wouldn't even have known what it was. I simply don't understand how a supplier can install them and then continue to transfer money which isn't owed from a customer's bank account into their own. What's the point of the things?

Are you sure it is actually working? For example no good doing mine as can't get a phone signal!

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Are you sure it is actually working?

Positive. They admit it and lower the dd to a sensible level but then it creeps back up again and I have to give it a while to show that their excuses for doing so are invalid. Then I have the fight to get it repaid. I've learned to do it around March/April as they can't claim she needs to 'build up an amount ready for winter' - that one used to be a favourite.

What is it you would like to see 'tested.... here beforehand' tobyjugg2?

Malc

The actual content/wording of the letters.

You might think its a hiding to nothing, but I'm sure that any criticism would be intended as either constructive or sheer outrage

... both of which would surely be a valuable ' testing of the waters' before someone ends up going toe to toe with your organisation over some (further?) outrageous and arguably inappropriate communication?

... and you can of course ignore any opinion just as if you hadn't tested the waters ... as apparently has been to date.

'We've changed the wording' tells us nothing, and what we know of prior letters and contacts warrants no 'trust'

You have already gained increasingly poor news items and customer opinion that you need to turn around - not get worse ...

Loving your country enough to care for its old and poor, fund its institutions, unite its communities, feed, house and educate its children, restore and live in balance with its environment, plan with care for its future, build its alliances, and perhaps above all - tell it the truth

The Tory Legacy

Record high: taxes, immigration, excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

They squander taxpayer money by the £thousands on a failed ex-PMs luxury troughing on a plane, rather than feed UK children

Who's the supplier hightail? ... name and shame - and consider moving.

(sounds like Npower or Scottish power to me)

Note that the cheaper deals (inc EON) are vanishing at the moment, and some deals pay a monthly amount because of having a smart meter.

Now theres a thought:

What if a customer moves to a smart meter 'enhanced' deal and they already have a smart meter thats not compatible ..... :-/

The Tory Legacy

Who's the supplier hightail? ... name and shame - and consider moving.

Pretty sure it's British Gas and I would move her except she is now going full time into a care home. It's been on the cards for a while which is what led to my inertia.

Surely the answer is to do variable DD whereby you pay your bill in full each month.

Would have loved that but they'll do anything to put you off doing it and to be honest there comes a point where (shamefully) I just give up.

Pretty sure it's British Gas and I would move her except she is now going full time into a care home. It's been on the cards for a while which is what led to my inertia.

Heck

Just don't tell them that and give the boat a good rock for them. See what they say.

Formal complaint:

decent old lady who's always paid her bills bullied into smart meter, assured it would save her money, then continued to be overcharged and needing relative to get overcharges back each year ....

papers would love that - but anyway - Make 'em sweat. They deserve it.

• Haha 1

The Tory Legacy

The actual content/wording of the letters.

You might think its a hiding to nothing, but I'm sure that any criticism would be intended as either constructive or sheer outrage

... both of which would surely be a valuable ' testing of the waters' before someone ends up going toe to toe with your organisation over some (further?) outrageous and arguably inappropriate communication?

... and you can of course ignore any opinion just as if you hadn't tested the waters ... as apparently has been to date.

'We've changed the wording' tells us nothing, and what we know of prior letters and contacts warrants no 'trust'

You have already gained increasingly poor news items and customer opinion that you need to turn around - not get worse ...

Ah! I see. Thanks for the offer tobyjugg2 but this is something we'll have to decline.

I did explain in a bit more detail above (post #53 - 3 Jan 19) that the letters we've been talking about now make it clear smart meters are optional and customers can turn down our offers to have them fitted. Always happy to discuss specific issues like this as we've doing on this thread.

Thanks again for your kind offer.

Malc

yes perhaps Malc could help when he sees it.

In the meantime, as EON appear to be afraid or unwilling to post their 'amended' SMART meter threat'o'grams errr sales leaflet, infomercial, ??? ...

any one here had one they can upload for us?

They are of course still threat'o'grams based on the only evidence we have so far ..

The Tory Legacy

Out of interest, what is EON's policy regarding replacement should the display unit (not the meter) go faulty?

The bit that enables you to be 'more in control of how much you use'

Do they replace it?

Free of charge?

The Tory Legacy

Yes tobyjugg2, we do replace faulty In-Home Displays. What happens will depend on the type of display concerned. We’ve used several different makes and models since starting our smart meter rollout.

Whatever the type, there’s currently no charge to replace faulty displays.

Malc

Latest communication from E.On

Dear Customer

Your current electricity meter is an old model that we have an obligation to change as part of a government led nationwide upgrade programme. We'll replace it for free with a new self-reading smart meter. Book an appointment to suit you or call us on 0345 301 5796

Smart meters have great benefits for you

No more estimated bills1

No need to provide meter readings, they're sent to us automatically

The installation will take around an hour and your electricity will only be switched off at the point of changing your meter. We'll be as quick as we can. If you don't want a smart meter at this time, please call us to let us know.

Yours sincerely

E.ON Smart Meter Team

P.S. Occasionally we may be unable to fit a smart meter for you. We'll let you know if this is the case when booking your appointment.

1If you change tariff or there is a price change, part of your bill may be estimated until we get a reading for your new tariff or price.

Meter

Book an appointment online 〉

Or call

0345 301 5796

Lines are open 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.

Calls from mobiles and landlines to 03 numbers are charged at your local rate, unless included in your call package when they're free.

Good to know

Great service as standard

We're installing your meters in accordance with the Smart Installation Code of Practice, the industry standard for smart meters. To see what this means visit smicop.co.uk

For more information about smart meters and for advice or how to save energy, click here.

Have a gas supply?

We'll only be exchanging your electricity meter on our visit. If you have a gas supply, then your gas supplier should contact you separately about having a smart meter. If you choose to move your gas supply to us, then we can arrange to change both your meters on the same visit.

Download the E.ON App

Download the E.ON App

Get it on Google Play

Download on the App Store

Disclaimer Notice

This email has been sent by E.ON Energy Solutions Limited, a private limited company registered in England and Wales, company number 03407430, of Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV48LG. This message and any attachments are confidential and should only be read by those to whom they are addressed, therefore if you have received this message in error, please contact us, delete the message from your computer and destroy any copies. Any distribution or copying without our prior permission is prohibited. The recipient is responsible for verifying the authenticity of this message before acting on the contents.

• Haha 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks ploddertom

So EON, despite all the assurances on changed tactics, are still at the very least misleading customers (IMO) into a view that they have no choice but to have a SMART meter.

NO indication whatsoever that there is a choice.

No wonder EON declined to show us.

What have you told them ploddertom - if you don't mind telling us that is?

(That seems near as damn it to the one I received ages ago, where the telephone op also tried to tell me it was compulsory - so what changes have been made? Wonder if I still have it - Ill look this weekend)

Also strange that since declining the SMART meter, this 'important replacement of the meter has simply gone quiet.

I call Deceitful Bull Poop from EON

The Tory Legacy

I doubt I'll reply as have better things to do & in any case as they already know we have no mobile phone signal for any network - unless of course they intend to remotely site the meters elsewhere.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That email is misleading.

We're installing your meters in accordance with the Smart Installation Code of Practice, the industry standard for smart meters. To see what this means visit smicop.co.uk

Without me even going to the site, I will bet it says that the meter is optional. Not everybody is the internet savvy and use computers just for emailing and browsing, nothing else. Why would anyone bother when the email makes you think the meter swap is compulsory.

Eon, get it together!

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

I have just had a quick look at the code of practice and section 3.8 Marketing states quite clearly that customers have the right to end any conversation at any time and that marketing should be fair, transparent, appropriate and professional. The one word that strikes me is transparent which in the above case isn't being done.

Customers MUST be clearly informed of their rights and that they can refuse a meter if they choose.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hello tobyjugg2 and I was talking primarily about changes to many of the letters we send about smart meters.

As above, these include statutory meter exchanges, updates about the roll-out of SMETS2 and upgrades to SMETS1 (posts #10 and #24 - 20 and 21 Nov).

We've changed the wording to make it clear smart meters are optional and customers can decline our offers to have them fitted.

My underlining and bold - malcs words

In light of silverfoxs' post above and simple 'accuracy, Care to clarify or correct your statement there Malc?

The Tory Legacy

I would have thought they would have had Wi-Fi enabled meters?

My understanding is that they are still installing smegs1 (oops typo) not smets2, let alone wifi enabled ones.

The letters dont inform the customers of that either.

While we are awaiting our response to the current content of the letters you are sending out ...

What are the customers rights of removal of SMART meters if they think they have been deceived into having one by your 'communications' be they snail mail, email or on the telephone Malc?

Perhaps that needs escalating with the various regulators and consumer action bodies (not just about EON but the process as a whole),

Particularly given the complete lack of any real benefits to the customer which don't seem to be outweighed by the atrocious problems (eg blatantly incorrect readings not trapped by suppliers and problems customers have addressing that) and simple lack of delivery of even the basic expected service (eg charged in line with use per readings) that far too many are seeing.

All these meters really seem to do is allow suppliers to change people on to pre pay (let alone cut them off) easily and without their consent, even if its unjustified and an error on the suppliers part

As some suppliers even seem to do a 'sanity check' when you submit readings on line, showing your last reading and with a 'are you sure' if you mistype or misread, why is that apparently not applied to the SMART (not) meter readings - seems a reduction in service to me

(I had this when my daughter left home as the usage dropped by nearly 40% - had to send in photo of meter - perhaps they only check when your usage reduces)

The Tory Legacy