• Tweets

• Most contracts are subject to the Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013 which provide that you have a cooling off period of 14 days when you make a contract online or off premises. Unfortunately there are various exemptions and insurance contracts is one of them. It's hugely unfair in my view. Obviously if the insurance cover has already started then it may well be fair – but for a contract to start and insurance cover in the future, it seems to me that there should be a right to cancel at least until the beginning of the cover. So the answer is – yes they are entitled to levy a charge although that charge has to be reasonable and to reflect their administrative losses caused by your breach of contract. £29 sounds a little bit on the steep side and you can make an issue of it if you wanted. That means that you could require them to give you a detailed breakdown as to how this reflects their administrative losses and if you felt that you disbelieve them, you could decide to issue a claim and take it to the Small Claims Court. I would say that in the event there is a very high chance that they would back down simply because it wouldn't be worth their while to defend – but you can't bank on this and it would be a risk to you.  
    • Yes please - as requested above please will you post the claim form and the judgment in pdf format
    • Hi,   I searched online for an insurance company using compare the market. Sheila's wheels came out with the best quote so I telephoned them to arrange the purchase. After I had paid out the initial amount of £70 and agreed a direct debit I then cancelled my soon to expire Insurance policy. I immediately received an email from that insurance company informing me I no longer had my no claims bonus due to an accident last June. I telephoned Shelia's Wheels to explain that I had made an error, instead of 3 (which I had put on my original agreement), I had now been informed I had none. They put the policy up by another £300, so I asked to cancel. They now want to charge me 29 pound something for cancelling. I made the mistake with the no claims bonus because compare the market keeps a record of my information & this was what was in that information about me, including the date of my accident.    Do they  have a right to charge me? My insurance would have taken effect on the 15th November 2019.   Thank you.
    • I'm on happy pills (anti depressants) but they aren't cutting the mustard anymore and I do need to see my GP soon to see if he can help in anyway. With regards to gambling it's so complicated; through my life I have made money (as well as having had some jobs)  being a "professional gambler" (gambling where the odds are in your favour - think card counting for example, fruit machines years ago for a long time.... Other things.) But I've also been totally compulsive at the same time. It;'s so entrenched in my psyche that it's hard to imagine just giving it up totally. I also have drug issues that have plagued me and it's a shame because I am fairly intelligent and could have been successful in life in theory but mainly due to those two things (and not really having any drive, ambition, whatever... I could go on and on but this isn't a therapy forum :P) I've not managed to. I'm 36 by the way. Cheers
    • Oh I just remembered I have a long defaulted account with Halifax balance approx £3700 I believe (from around 2015) but they aren't chasing me for it or anything. It was actually over £5000 but they refunded me a load of unfair charges (their words)  This does however push me over the £20,000 limit for a DRO I think?  
  • Our picks

dcahater76

Lowell Chasing Recent 02 Account

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice. I am in the process of drafting a complaint to lowell about a 02 refresh bill which I had to default on earlier this year (out of work for a three months).

Lowell are claiming £370.10 owed which when I looked at my 02 bills on 02.co.uk seems wrong. I think this relates to unpaid airtime till the end of the contract.

I read somewhere that charging till the end of a mobile contract which is defaulted is deemed unfair under consumer regulations. Is this true? and if so can anybody point me to the regulations or relevant case law?

Thanks

Andrew

Yes under what ofcom have stated

Pers i'd not bother with letter tennis unless you get a letter of claim

Stop making powerless dca feel important

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

Hi Dx,

Im currently sitting on this I got there pre legal letter the other day.

Im not particularly worried about it.

If it turns out they are trying to collect the right amount i will offer them 75% F&F just to get rid of it.

My way of thinking is if I complain to them it might just buy me a little time before they proceed to court as I have no way of countering this if they do.

The account was defaulted in April and quickly sold on to lowlifes.

No SB defence applicable.

i have complained about the amount and asked for a breakdown on how they arrived at the figure they allege i owe.

In theory they will have to go back to 02 for this so might just give me a bit of breathing space for a couple of weeks to get the finances together to get this paid off as I dont want a CCJ at this point.

Curiously though this isn't showing up on Noddle or Clearscore

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

dont offer them 75% of it. Theyve very likely paid the oC 10% of the total debt. Why pay it when you dont have to. Especially if its got unlawful charges in it.

If you have their PaP pack, dont reply using it. Theres a link on this site with a pack y ou use to reply with.

And CCJ? CCJ is a LONG way off. If it ever even happens. Theres a bunch of stuff that happens before it goes to a CCJ. Even if they filed a claim tomorrow, it would likely be jan or feb before it goes to court. Possibly later.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hi Renegadeimp,

What sort of percentage would you suggest. Im going down the line of paying F&F if necessary.

Thanks,

Andrew

Edited by dcahater76

0% Youll ge tmore advice soon. You need to find out why the debt was sold, how much are charges etc.

Get a SAR going to O2

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Thanks RenegadeImp.

Sar form downloaded from 02 will get it in the post tomorrow.

Thanks

Andrew

yep offer nowt!!

and no more silly letter tennis!!

dx

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

spreadsheets 

Hi DX,

Thats the general idea for now Im not certain I can beat this if and when it goes to court best Ive had so far is there pre legal assessment letter saying nothing much.

Thanks,

Andrew

have read of a few relevant claimform threads

you'll soon get the idea

using our search CAG box of the top redtoolbar use:

Lowell claimform mobile

or claimform mobile

dx

spreadsheets 

If theyre serious about going to court, youll get a PaP pack with a bunch of stuff to fill in. This gives at least 30 days before they issue a claim, and even then they might not. If you get one of those packs, come here, as they tend to change wording in it from what it should be.

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice. I am in the process of drafting a complaint to lowell about a 02 refresh bill which I had to default on earlier this year (out of work for a three months).

Lowell are claiming £370.10 owed which when I looked at my 02 bills on 02.co.uk seems wrong. I think this relates to unpaid airtime till the end of the contract.

I read somewhere that charging till the end of a mobile contract which is defaulted is deemed unfair under consumer regulations. Is this true? and if so can anybody point me to the regulations or relevant case law?

Thanks

Andrew

Its actually clarified and stated in the Unfair Terms in Contracts for Communications and The Consumer Rights Act 2015

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/asse...0/guidance.PDF

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/unfair-t...ses-full-guide

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Well got SAR running to O2 this morning so will wait to see what this says prior to doing anything else. Thanks everyone for your advice everyone.

be aware they have a considerable amount of time to fulfil the SAR request, so the DCA may take action sooner. Its unlikely they will but it is lowell.

Thanks RenegadeImp I sent off a complaint last night. They emailed back this morning stating account on hold for 4 weeks so hopefully should get SAR back in that timeframe if it turns out I have to pay this off then I should have the finances in place to sort this (got a Gibson Les Paul 67 for sale on eBay)

Why would you entertain paying them anything? If lowell have it then theres something wrong with the debt. And even if they file a claim, it doesnt mean theyre going to win, plus you can go to mediation, and come to an arrangement to pay it off slow or at a low F&F. But all thats a fair way off yet.

I suspect that part of this amount is a handset charge (Samsung Galaxy A5 2017) which I have bank records to prove I paid for the phone when I took the contract if the SAR info states they are claiming for that then I can stop this stone dead the other could be airtime till the end of contract which again I can kill this. I'm just a believer in having a backup plan. Another point being I do not want to risk getting a ccj on my credit record.

I wouldn't ever consider paying an supposed phone bill made of till EOC fees

It wont be the handset either

spreadsheets 

Thanks DX going to sit on this and see what happens I suspect the amount they are claiming can be countered effectively will know for certain with the SAR Return from O2 since I asked specifically for a breakdown of the amount they claim I owe.

well I Have done a bit of digging around my credit files. I have checked Equifax, Experian and Callcredit and Neither Lowell or O2 show on any of the files? I find this a bit strange to say the least.

Okay so got another pre legal letter from Lowell I’m not worried. I have reviewed my credit file from all providers and no mention of 02 or Lowell anywhere. Am I right in thinking this would prevent any court action?

No...its irrelevant whether its showing on your CRAs or not.....perhaps they simply failed to register a default.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread