Merrymaiden

Less Contracted hours than others doing same role

Hi all, my first post here so hoping I am in the right place :) Its a bit long winded but I will try to be concise as possible.

I work in local authority in care centre. The same group has a number of similar centres throughout the County. We have recently been subject to management restructuring and additional responsibilities have been added to my role and other staff who do the same role as me in the other locations. We also have regular review meetings where we get together and share ideas to standardise our policies and operating procedures throughout all the centres, so we all work the same way. However, at these meetings I have discussed working hours with other staff doing this role, and find that whilst my contracted hours are 18, most of the others are on 25hrs/week. I raised this with management several months ago, both verbally and in writing, requesting that my contract be reviewed to align me with my peers. This was verbally acknowledge with a "we will look into this" but I have heard nothing more since. I have also recently discovered that when I was recruited, I was put on a higher pay grade than my peers, through employer error, which I had no idea. I suspect that they are holding off increasing my hours as they are already paying me more than everyone else for the same role, but that does not give me more time to complete my work so is not a valid reason. I am struggling to keep up with my daily tasks and finding it very stressful that I have to rush and make mistakes/forget things due to time limitations. I am looking for alternative employment as I feel I cannot continue doing this job successfully on the hours given, but feel I shouldn't have to go through this upheaval if they just agreed to increased hours. I also suspect that should I leave, my post will be re-advertised at correct pay and 25hr contract to sort this anomaly.

What are my rights here? It is their mistake that I am higher paid for the same job, but that doesn't enable me to complete the work in less time, so feel I am being discriminated against. I feel its verging on constructive dismissal, but I know the terms needed to apply this are very specific. Any advice appreciated, thank you

I should add that no one suggested that my pay rate be reduced to align me with the others in this role, in return for increasing my hours, but this is something I would be prepared to consider. I have kept this in reserve hoping for some opportunity to "negotiate" for 25hr contract, but Management never came back after my original request put the "ball in their court", so no further opportunity to discuss it ...

So

You have a right to go home when your hours are done if you are contracted for number of hours and not "as the job requires" hours.

You have a right to put in a grievance

If its minor like 5p an hour and you'd be happy doing 25 hours I'd just straight out ask them. They may be avoiding an argument that won't come - let them know.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

so, do you down tools and go home after your contracted hours have ended? If you are employed to work betwwen say 9 and 12 6 days a week you should do just that and let your boss know in writing that it is impossible to do the required work in this time so they should consider either increasing your contracted hours or employ someone else to do the extra work that is left undone. No good speaking to people more than once about this, it will be ignored so get it in writing.

Is the job properly evaluated and part of a grading structure? You may have to accept that any changes will result in a reevaluation of your tasks and in the longer run possibly a retrograde move on the pay scale. Dont worry about what your peers do or get unless you want a very long battle. Agree about union membership, you get their legal team on the case and the employer tends to listen but that is hopefully not necessary. Membership will mean the local rep can bend the right ear as long as you are clear what you want as an outcome, just saying it isnt fair or they are treated differently doesnt actually get very far

Please fill in your quit date here

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

No registered users viewing this page.

• Have we helped you ...?

• Tweets

• Thank you dx, will replace with Hbos. Will get on mcol this week to submit.
    • Hi ericsbrother - thank you for this, definitely will start reading up on this! I have a couple of weeks before I have to upload the defence onto the MCOL website so perfect opportunity to get a bit more clued up. After I submit, is there an average timescale for what happens next? 
    • Hello ericsbrother - the CCJ awarded in 2015 is for exactly the same amount that they are claiming for in their recent CCJ awarded letters - it can really only be for the same credit card. Unfortunately, I just ignored any letters received in 2015.  I've checked my credit file again today and no new CCJ's have been added and there are no new upcoming changes - so not sure how they can claim they have recently obtained a CCJ.  I'm not sure what to do next when trying to fight my corner. I've read if I contact these companies then the clock starts ticking again and they have a further 6 years to chase me. I would appreciate any advice - thanks
    • If you feel happy about that – then yes. I don't see that there is any disadvantage at the moment.
    • sorry but you are missing the point about how the connections are made and their likely influence. It dioesnt matter it here are a hundred mats connected if the mains link going into the board is done incorrectly. also your use of wording such as "the installation" doesnt give much help, yes the fire started in the thermostat but WHERE ?  the board has a number of parts that get warm but the most likey culprit is hwere the mains is switched on and off and that is the bit that is doen by the installer.  generally you will have a neutral tht stays "on" all of the time and mains that goes into a switch that is connected to the sensors that then  switch the power on and off whilst stioll using the live unswitched connection to provide the current for the low voltage parts of the system. It is qwuite easy to misred the installation of this as the same board may be used for several differnt systems and thus the links need to be made in a different configuration for each system. Confuse type 1 with type 2 and you may well be passing a current permanenty though the system causing it to heat up to a point of no return. that si why you need to get a decent copy of the circiut diagram (not the installation diagram) from the makers so you can pass that on to your tame electronics bod to see what they make of the remnants
  • Our picks

• This is a bit of a lengthy one but I’ll summerise best as possible.

THIS IS HOW THE PHONECALL WENT 

I was contacted by future comms by phone, they stated that they could beat any phone contract I have , (I am a limited company but just myself that needs a business phone and I am the only worker) 
      I told future comms my deal, £110 per month with a phone and a virtual landline, they confirmed that they could beat that, £90 per month with a phone , virtual landline  they also confirmed they would pay Vodafone (previous provider) the termination fee. As I am in business, naturally I was open to making a deal. So we proceeded. 
      Future comms then revealed that the contract would be with PLAN.COM and the airtime would be provided by 02, I instantly told them that this would break the deal as I have poor 02 signal in the house where I live as my partner is on 02 and constantly complaining about bad signal
      the salesman assured me he would send a signal booster box out with the phone so I would have perfect signal.
      so far so good.....
      i then explained this is the only mobile phone I use for business and pleasure, so therefore I didn’t want any disconnection time in the slightest between the switchover from Vodafone to 02
      the salesman then confirmed that the existing phone would only be disconnected once the new phone was switched on.
      so far so good....
      • 14 replies
    • A shocking story of domestic and economic abuse compounded by @BarclaysUKHelp ‏ bank complicity – coming soon @A_Gentle_Woman. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/415737-a-shocking-story-of-domestic-and-economic-abuse-compounded-by-barclaysukhelp-%E2%80%8F-bank-complicity-%E2%80%93-coming-soon-a_gentle_woman/
      • 0 replies
    • The FSA has announced large fines against DB UK Bank Limited (trading as DB Mortgages) - DeutscheBank and also against Redstone for their unfair treatment of their customers.
      Please see the links below for summaries and full details from the FSA website.
      It is now completely clear that any arrears charges which exceed actual administrative costs are unfair and therefore unlawful.
      Furthemore, irresponsible lending practices are also unfair and unlawful.
      Additionally there are other unfair practices including unarranged counsellor visits - even if they have been attempted.
      You are entitled to refuse counsellor visits and not incur any charges.
      Any charges for counsellor visits must not seek to make profits. The cost of the visits must be passed on to you at cost price.
      We are hearing stories of people being charged for counsellor visits for which there is no evidence that they were even attempted.
      It is clear that some mortgage lenders are trying to cheat you out of your money.
      You should ascertain how much has been taken from you and claim it back. The chances of winning are better than 90%. It is highly likely that the lender will attempt to avoid court action and offer you back your money.
      However, you should ensure that you receive a proper rate of interest and this means that you should be seeking at least restitutionary damages - which would be much higher than the statutory 8%.
      Furthermore, you should assess whether the paying of demands for unlawful excessive charges has also out you further into arrears and if this has caused you further penalties in terms of extra interest or any other prejudice. This should be claimed as well.
      If excessive unlawful charges have resulted in your credit file being affected, then you should take this into account also when working out exactly what you want by way of remedy from the lender.
      You should consult others on these forums when considering any offer.
      You must not make any complaint through the Ombudsman. your time will be wasted, you will wait up to 2 yrs and there will be a minimal 8% award of interest and no account will be taken of any other damage you have suffered.
      You must make your complaint through the County Court for a rapid and effective remedy.

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Library/Communication/PR/2010/120.shtml
      http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pubs/final/redstone.pdf
      http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pubs/final/db_uk.pdf

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/consumerinformation/firmnews/2011/db_mortgages.shtml
      Do you have a mortage arears claim to make? Then post your story on the forum here
      • 0 replies
    • 30 Day Right To Reject - Vehicle Casualty Report. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/415585-30-day-right-to-reject-vehicle-casualty-report/
      • 57 replies