style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 296 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Are British Gas workmen/ meter readers allowed to climb over padlocked gates to gain access onto private residential property to check/ read a meter?

No debt and meter reading provided recently.

No prior written request.

when was the last time they saw the meter?

there is a remit that they must inspect the meter esp Gas every two years for safety.

now if this allows climbing over a gate is another matter.

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

within 2y.

Wouldn't they have to write and ask for a date to inspect? Rather than scaring the occupant that a strange man is climbing over padlocked gate??

the inspection is merely them seeing the meter whilst they read it

so if that has taken place then no they don't need to write

but if it hadn't then yes they would and most probably with a warrant attached to it which you cant object too.

as for climbing a gate, no ofcourse that's not right. a high gate or one thigh high you can sort of step over?

though regardless to the size it being padlocked? means to me no entry please!!

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

spreadsheets 

So within 2y someone from utility co has seen and read meter.

Every now and again a letter is received which says national grid wants to replace the meter - but no-one ever turns up!

Yes - padlocked means No Entry!!

don't think it right they climb a gate of that height no

oh and I bet it wasn't BG either

they farm meter reading out.

spreadsheets 

does it matter? whoever it was, was a rep for BG...

Agree, whoever it is was acting on behalf of BG. I'd be submitting a written complaint immediately, but then I hate BG.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Was the meter fitted on outside external wall or in the house?

Most meter readers don't go to extent of climbing gates, just leave a card requesting occupant to supply a meter reading, which can be entered on-line.

Anyone requiring access can apply for a Court Warrant of Entry.

when was the last time they saw the meter?

there is a remit that they must inspect the meter esp Gas every two years for safety.

now if this allows climbing over a gate is another matter.

“there is a remit that they must inspect the meter esp Gas every two years for safety.” is wrong since February 2016, but it USED to be correct.

The requirement is an inspection by someone GasSafe registered, not only by the utility provider.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/decision-reforming-suppliers-meter-inspection-obligations

“Our decision is to repeal the two-yearly meter inspection licence conditions in gas and electricity in their entirety. We consider other legal obligations to be more effective and efficient tools for achieving the policy objectives”

We have a gas boiler. We get it serviced annually by a GasSafe registered engineer.

ScottishPower (or their contracted meter readers from G4S) tried all sorts of guff.

In the end I got in writing:

“A meter reader should visit on a biannual cycle to perform this check, you are not however, obligated to allow access for either the check or indeed the read to be taken.

Most boiler services would include a gas safety check as standard (or should do) to confirm that there are no gas leaks between the meter and the boiler and to ensure the gas is at the correct pressure.

Meter readers are not employed directly by ScottishPower, they come from a third party on a cyclic schedule and as stated above you have no obligation to allow access if your meters are indoors.”

and then:

“I have spoken with my manager and he is under the same impression as myself that we can ask for access, however, you are under no obligation to permit access to anyone.”

We tell them “do one” every time the meter reader trots out “you have to let me in”, and say “we are happy to send them photos showing the readings we submit are correct and the meters aren’t tampered with. We get an annual inspection by a GasSafe engineer. If you want to insist on coming in, come back with a warrant”.

It hasn’t happened yet.

Was the meter fitted on outside external wall or in the house?

Most meter readers don't go to extent of climbing gates, just leave a card requesting occupant to supply a meter reading, which can be entered on-line.

Anyone requiring access can apply for a Court Warrant of Entry.

But would have to show grounds for why the court should authorise a warrant.

OP, are you a tenant or owner-occupier?

If a tenant, the LL has additional obligations.

tnx the update bazz didn't know that

spreadsheets 

Here is the Ofgem link on what BazzaS refers to in post#11:

Decision on reforming suppliers’ meter inspection obligations: https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/decision-reforming-suppliers-meter-inspection-obligations

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If he had fallen and broke his neck or you had beaten the person to death then I'm sure the HSE would have to investigate their processes but as the trespass caused no damage you will be reliant on the incident causing distress or fear and then seek either a prosecution or damages for the same. At thsi point BG will claim that they use self-employed people so they arent responsible etc.

Personally I would go after BG for say £500 for the distress and fear bit because they are likely to pay out that sum without the embarrassment of actually having to face you in court. They will probably offer you £50 as a gogw to begin with