• Tweets

• Background: I am a private seller on ebay Item:  brand new toothbrush charger with brand new travel case for the toothbrush How I got the item: these were the accessories come with my electric toothbrush (cost £50, with invoice from amazon uk) If I were to buy the charger and the travel case separately that would cost me £11.99 + £8.49 How much did I sell: £4.99 + £3.1 (postage) Total of £8.09   24 Dec 2020 - sold 27 Dec 2020 - Posted: in a Parcel shop 18 Feb Buyer opened not-received case same day, I refunded the money contacted packlink - submitted a claim of £50 Packlink replied "your parcel is likely lost.","there is a deadline for claims." (conversation attached)   (Tracking up-to-today3 Mar 2021: "07:11 - Tue 26 Jan Your parcel is at our local depot and on its way to you")   What to do now: I will contact myhermes  ----------------------------------------------- (side story) The reason about chasing such a small amount with lots of works:  10 years ago a similar incident happened to me when I shipped a sony camera worth about £500 via parcel2go with hermes, I opt-in for a signature service and the courier just dropped the parcel at the front door of the buyer (and lost). They refused to compensate me.   Today I am a mature student studying law and long term lurker in this forum, I have been reading different threads and fascinated by how knowledgeable you guys in contract law and giving out free professional opinions(pro bono?). I refuse to let these cowboys dodging their ways out of people's right and I wish I could help innocent people like your guys. The best way to similar myself with contract law is to practice them.         Packlink convo 1.pdf
    • It is America's third major spending package to deal with the impact of the coronavirus pandemic. View the full article
    • When you haven't told us very much. When was the contract made? How long does it last for? How was it made? Was it a cold call on the telephone? Was it a visit to a shop? What's the cost? How old is your elderly mother? She bothered about her credit file? Does she need a mobile phone at all? In other words issue thinking of getting rid of the facility order she simply want something else? That lot for starters
    • Hi all,   Good to be back.   Pay monthly EE sim only - taken out through a company call affordable mobiles few months back by retired elderly mother.   Unfortunately - in use through lockdown (higher call rate than typical + video calls) the signal was very very poor at home.    Distorted calls & dropped calls - continuously and consistently. Complaints from those calling us, and those we call.   I am asking for help on how to get out of this product, as for a retired person who is vulnerable - a reliable mobile service is very important.   Please advise - as I am unsure of how to proceed.   L
  • Our picks

• Ebay Packlink and Hermes - destroyed item as it was "damaged". https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/430396-ebay-packlink-and-hermes-destroyed-item-as-it-was-damaged/&do=findComment&comment=5087347
      • 25 replies
    • I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
  • Recommended Topics

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 856 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

no such thing as DYL's on private land if this is a private invoice not a penalty charge notice from the council?

please complete this :

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?462118-Have-you-received-a-Parking-Ticket-(3-Viewing)-nbsp

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I think that this thread should be in the Local Authority sub forum

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

Hi it is a Penalty Charge Notice from Brighton Council I was parked on the double yellow line, but as seen in the photo there is signage saying "private"

You mean that little sign on the wall above the bins? Honestly, you're right in the town centre, slap bang on double yellows. The chances of winning an appeal on that basis are very small indeed.

As a point of fact, DYLs can apply to private land - the issue isn't whether the land is private, but whether it forms part of the highway, which this clearly does. It's open access to anyone and everyone, so the DYLs would apply even if it were private, which it isn't.

What are the "prescribed hours". Also that yellow line is broken and non existent in many places. Maybe some one with more knowledge than myself can comment on the very faded broken double yellow lines and the prescribed hours?

Prescribed hours means the hours the restriction is in force. In the case of double yellows, the prescribed hours are 24/7.

The state of the lines is a factor. However it's important to recognise that the PCN is issued for contravening the Traffic Regulation Order (legal documents), not the line itself. So even if the line was completely invisible, a contravention still took place. The defence would be that the restriction wasn't adequately conveyed to the motorist - so check the photo and you can take your own view on whether you think it's clear enough. Personally I think it is clear that there are double yellows, and we all know what that means. The lines are certainly in disrepair, but not so bad as to cause any uncertainty over the restrictions.