Ruby_Tuesday

esa to uc

Hi everyone. Am sorry if this should be in with my other post, if so please move.

My question is that I am on esa support group where I live now. The area I wish to move to is a full UC area. Obviously I will have to change benefits etc. But do I move first then advise dwp I have changed area then close down ESA and apply for UC?..

I am just trying to work out the way that will give me less time in between one claim closing off and the new one beginning. I will need to apply asap for the housing element which will be important for new landlord. My brain is pretty scrambled at the best of times but I am just trying to get a timeline or some sort of order of events.

You need to start a UC claim online on the day of your move, when you are due to move into your new address. You cannot register a new claim online with a date in the future.

If you are busy on the day of your move, do the claim online as soon as possible afterwards.

Part of the UC online claim process is trying to confirm your identity online. This does not work for many people. Make sure you have ID documents available and you phone 0800 328 5644 to book the first job centre appointment. It is very important to go to the first appointment available and to have your ID documents, plus Bank details available, so you get the claim sorted out as early as possible. If you are renting privately make sure you provide the Job Centre with the tenancy document and any other documents you have confirming your move to the address,

Once you have attended the Job Centre to confirm the basic information, you can request a new claim advance through your online claim or at the Job Centre or by calling UC.

It is advisable to notify UC of the ESA support group at the Job Centre or by calling UC. Make sure they transfer the support group entitlement to UC.

Once your UC claim is set up and you have been to the Job Centre, call ESA to close your ESA claim.

It is not uncommon for people to have an overlap of UC and ESA for a week or two, because they want to ensure their UC claim is set up, before closing ESA. This overlap in benefit would be deducted from your UC claim at some point, either first UC month or second UC month.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I don't think they will transfer esa entitlement to uc as its a different area and a new claim for uc so I wont have the transition guarantee. But I have noted down everything you have said and I will keep it safe. I don't have a passport or a driving license as for health reasons I neither travel nor drive. I will however have paperwork to do with the home swap from the council I am leaving and the council that I am moving to, plus bank details and other important letters. When I signed my new council tenancy I had no passport or driving license but they took bank details bank letter and other paperwork.

I have everything crossed as someone is interested in my home and if they want it I will start the exchange procedure straight away, I think its usually done within 6 weeks as that's the amount of time the councils have to complete it.

Thanks again unclebulgaria67 I think there may be light at the end of this dark tunnel after all.

They will transfer support group to any new UC claim, provided that you are still within the prognosis review period. Under UC support group equivalent is limited capability for work and work related activity (LCWRA).

Don't worry about the prognosis review period, as you may not know. As long as you are in support group at the time you move to UC, they will apply the LCWRA to your UC claim. But do bring this to the attention of UC, by either talking to the Job Centre or UC helpline.

Make sure you have something to confirm your ID, e.g. Birth certificate, bank cards, to show the Job Centre.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Ahh right. My last assessment was just a few months ago, I was fortunate it was done by a disability assessor who saw how I struggled physically and didn't even bother with the bipolar at all, she said she had seen enough to end the assessment and I kept support group status. She wrote reassess in the medium term, the previous one before that said no improvement likely in the longer term. I have all the paperwork. So I will do as you say and thank you so much as I would not have been aware to make sure of that info being given.

I am already breathing more easily, and think I will actually sleep a bit tonight. Three weeks of stress tears no appetite and hardly sleeping, balancing mood swings and pain I felt totally at a loss. So thank you again for your help.

Hi...i was hoping that my home move would coincide with a esa payment day, so i would at least have that while waiting for the UC claim to kick in. But its looking like it is going to be the week after my last esa payment day, so will they just pay me 1 week of esa and from that date take my UC claim. I don't want to get even more muddled than I already am. I think esa is paid 2 weekly in arrears?

Are you getting DLA/PIP as well? If you do, are getting the SDP on ESA?

Am so sorry guys....ive just read back the earlier post which actually answers my new question....brainfog.

Right so the home swap has been agreed by landlord, and is set to happen early next week.

So I will be in my second week of the two week esa payment schedule. I will need to apply for UC in order to sort out rent, and as I can get an early payment (to be paid back) I could use this for rent and just use any other cash I have to get me through until proper payments start.

There are two things I have read from different people, one says I have to close my esa claim as I apply for UC, others say its a separate thing. Also some say as esa is paid in arrears by 2 weeks I will also get a two week run on with rent, but as I am moving well away from this area I don't think that applies?....am trying to get hold of my new landlord today to see if they have come across this situation before.

Edited by honeybee13
Paras

Hi guys please forgive me if I have already asked this, I cant find it anywhere if I have, but I am in a bipolar/fibromyalgia mess right now.

Home move done, new claim for UC made and ID appointment attended, which was made on the telephone help line for UC. I told them I was in esa support but they spoke over me and told me who to ask for a jobcentre appointment.  So they guy there who had read the journal comments my daughter kindly wrote for me telling them she is my carer and does almost everything like this for me, she sat with the laptop beside me explaining what was being said etc.  She explained the esa support group statue and last assessment.  So at the ID appointment we are told I need a fit note to take to my first commitments appointment.  The guy himself said I shouldn't even have to do this but they need a note.  I can only hope my new GP is ok with this as I have to ask him preferably for a 2 month note, as if I have 2 weeks or a month I will be hauled in by jobcentre again.  They aren't making me jobsearch 35 hrs but said that's where I am without a fit note.  The jobcentre guy even said looking at my records I shouldn't even be in there.