BankFodder BankFodder

Tawnyowl

The Power Of Nature.Wild Weather.Climate Change.

On 05/01/2020 at 19:18, tobyjugg2 said:

Australia experienced its hottest and driest year ever in 2019, according to official data by the Bureau of Meterology 

The annual average temperature was 23.32C - which was 1.52C above the long-term average between 1961-1990.

Australia has seen its hottest year in 2019 with the average temperature reaching just above 23C

He also said this in relation to the fires as their seems to be a lot of rubbish being spread around on relating to temperatures in the country:

We have climate change fanatics mouthing off all the time about man-made global warming, causing the fires, a study which took place in this country revealed that Australia has been just as hot before this lot, according to measurements as far back as 1889 (fact), but then why would anybody mention this after all it conflicts with their fanatical preaching.

Huge forest fires have been common in the short history of Australia, some of the worst took place in 1938-1939, also in 2009 there were some horrendous fires. a Royal Commission was set up, which strongly recommended, that they should adopt the Aboriginals method, of burning brush to prevent future fires.

Of course like everything else there are always people who, that’s the same people who rabbit on about climate change, did not even want this to take place, so it was not put into practise, despite recent independent officials recommending it should take place. The state has allowed the accumulation of this under growth adding to the likely hood of more intense bushfires.

3 hours ago, buckthorn said:

From Melbourne Australia.

(my nephew family and his brother  lives their, I asked about the fires this is his answer)

This is probably the worst fires I have seen in all my time in Australia.

interesting that whatever the 'spark' - be it lightning, 50 degree temperatures or even some bright spark arse-onist,

... or all the above and more,

your nephew says:

" This is probably the worst fires I have seen in all my time in Australia. "

.... because the situation is as reported by the Australian organisations and scientists I quoted as well as organisations across the world,

and attributing even most of the blame; let alone all; to some arsonists - for record breaking dry spells and record breaking temperatures across not just a continent, but across the world, seems somewhat arsonistic in the extreme.

What are they lighting? Nuclear fusion matches?

Oh and my brother in law and my nephews and nieces say similar -  the worst fires, temperatures and dry spells they have ever seen.

although they certainly don't attribute the effects simply to some extra arsonists with jiffys

I express my honestly held opinions - they are nothing more or less than that.

... Its just doing some due diligence that makes them seem unusual ...

Please don't assume what you see here is what I wrote - At least some of my posts HAVE been edited without my knowledge or agreement - or anything showing people they have been amended

Have family in Australia and been there many times.

Bush fires are a regular necessary feature of the ecosystem there.  Plants rely on  the fires releasing seeds from pods.  But they are particularly bad this time, as there has been a drought for a very long time.  I have been in a car driving through the countryside and seen bush fires blowing across the road. They tend to be small scale, but at the moment, they cover a huge amount of territory as there is so much dry material to catch fire. No significant rain is forecast until end of February at the earliest. 

Hopefully this is just a dry period they are going through and the climate will change again.  They tend to have 10 years of dry conditions, followed by 10 years with more rainfall.  If the climate has permanently changed due man made destruction of ecosystems by clearing land of trees etc, then I could see it becoming difficult to live in many area of the country. 

On a tour of Western Australia, the guide who was very knowledgeable about the environment, said that many bad decisions were made decades ago to clear trees and shrubs from land to make use for farming. But the land was now no good for farming, as removing the trees and shrubs made the soil very poor.  So no good for sowing crops or using for grazing animals.  

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Australian Bureau of Meteorology figures.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/10/maps-show-australias-temperatures-risen-last-100-years-12039524/

Sobering, and I know the deniers will go on about how Britain was a tropical rainforest once, but those were natural changes over millions of years, not a couple of hundred.  Nasa have an even more sobering infographic than the above, it's worth Googling.

Denying man made climate change is understandable, as the consequences are terrifying, and it's easier to deny it than make the radical changes we need.  However it is real and happening now.

• Like 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

More mainstream environmental groups have been added to the terrorist database. I find this scary - populists don't seem to believe in global warming and I think they're trying to close down debate.

How can Greenpeace et al be the same as neo-nazis?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jan/17/greenpeace-included-with-neo-nazis-on-uk-counter-terror-list

Illegitimi non carborundum

"teachers and officials around the country reported that they had been told, in briefings by the anti-radicalisation Prevent programme, to look out for people expressing support for XR and Greenpeace."

WHATTT!!!

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/prevent-strategy-2011

Edited by tobyjugg2

Please don't assume what you see here is what I wrote - At least some of my posts HAVE been edited without my knowledge or agreement - or anything showing people they have been amended

I think it's shocking, TJ.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Johnson and Smogg should be top of the prevent list, sitting on top of the DUP.

oooops - thats probably got me moved up the list.

Edited by tobyjugg2

Here's the Nasa Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4bSxb5THm4

Any denier should spend the next 37 seconds looking at the above video, it is chilling.  

Also for any deniers NASA = Experts with all the correct Data.  Some random denial poster on Twitter = Know nothing idiot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Almost every measurement station along the US coastline recorded an acceleration in the pace of sea level rise last year, leading scientists to warn that some of the bleakest predictions for future flooding are increasingly likely.

Edited by tobyjugg2