Jump to content
shoeshopper

Seller wants dog back

Recommended Posts

I purchased a 2 and a half year old dog on Sunday from a seller who advertised it for sale because they felt he did not receive the time and attention he deserved and that they did not want to continue paying for dog walking costs.

 

We visited them and the dog and finally agreed that they would deliver him to my house on Sunday. They were sad to leave him but said it would be best for him. I have always had a dog in my life, my previous dog dying of old age (16) last year.

 

I paid the full asking price and got the seller to sign a receipt saying that the dog had been sold to me and was I good heath. I gave them a copy of this.

 

Yesterday I took him to vets for a check up and innoculations ( although the ad said theses were up to date the seller then said he had his puppy injections only) and to have the microchip scanned to register as the new owner.

 

All was going very well until 9.30pm yesterday when I received a call from the seller saying that they had changed their mind and want the dog back for a full refund.

 

I love the dog and am very happy with him. Do they have any rights over him now please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a horrible position to be in, I don't envy you having to make such a decision as it's a bit of a no win situation as somebody is going to end up very upset whatever you decide.

 

I don't think the seller has any legal right to ask for the dog back and I believe you are entitled to refuse to return him.

 

If you were to perhaps consider returning him as a gesture of goodwill, you would be able to request a full refund of the purchase price plus anything else you had spent on the dog in the meantime, eg the vet's bill, food etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In your position I think I would stick with it. The seller has already decided to part with the dog so can't be that serious about their ex-pet and it sounds as if the dog would be better with you.

 

 

HB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much for your all your advice.

 

I am going to stick with it as I feel that to go as far as advertising a dog for sale you really need to be absolutely 100% certain that you can part with him beforehand. You can’t give several excuses as to why you can’t keep him and then all of a sudden those reasons don’t apply.

 

He is already a much loved pet in my family and we will make sure he i very well looked after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think they want to get involved. They scanned his chip , put me down as the owner on his records and told me to contact the chip registry. When I changed the chip details today the registry say that I am now the registered owner and the previous owners will be contacted and if they object they will have to take legal advice.

 

I really just want to be sure that now I have purchased him, and have a receipt signed by the previous owner, I am now the owner.

 

If this is the case, as unfortunate as the situation is, I am willing to stick with it and keep him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a shame about the vet, but it's understandable.

 

 

Do you have legal cover with your house insurance?

 

 

HB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buying a second-hand dog is no different, from a contract law point of view, to buying a second-hand car or sofa or TV. They offered to sell, you agreed to buy at that price, you paid the money, you have a receipt confirming payment. Contract concluded, the dog is yours! They are no more entitled to change their mind now than they would have been if you'd bought their sofa.

 

I don't think you need lawyers involved at this point. Just reply, "Sorry, but no, it's our dog now and we don't want to sell".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Since he was a pup

 

Thanks,

 

Not that it makes much difference, I can't see how they could have the dog for this time then decide they can't look after it properly.

It is a difficult one, we have had dogs all our lives and would never dream of giving one up unless there was a very good reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Please fill in your quit date here

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.



  • Tweets

  • Our picks

    • A shocking story of domestic and economic abuse compounded by @BarclaysUKHelp ‏ bank complicity – coming soon @A_Gentle_Woman. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/415737-a-shocking-story-of-domestic-and-economic-abuse-compounded-by-barclaysukhelp-%E2%80%8F-bank-complicity-%E2%80%93-coming-soon-a_gentle_woman/
      • 0 replies
    • The FSA has announced large fines against DB UK Bank Limited (trading as DB Mortgages) - DeutscheBank and also against Redstone for their unfair treatment of their customers.
      Please see the links below for summaries and full details from the FSA website.
      It is now completely clear that any arrears charges which exceed actual administrative costs are unfair and therefore unlawful.
      Furthemore, irresponsible lending practices are also unfair and unlawful.
      Additionally there are other unfair practices including unarranged counsellor visits - even if they have been attempted.
      You are entitled to refuse counsellor visits and not incur any charges.
      Any charges for counsellor visits must not seek to make profits. The cost of the visits must be passed on to you at cost price.
      We are hearing stories of people being charged for counsellor visits for which there is no evidence that they were even attempted.
      It is clear that some mortgage lenders are trying to cheat you out of your money.
      You should ascertain how much has been taken from you and claim it back. The chances of winning are better than 90%. It is highly likely that the lender will attempt to avoid court action and offer you back your money.
      However, you should ensure that you receive a proper rate of interest and this means that you should be seeking at least restitutionary damages - which would be much higher than the statutory 8%.
      Furthermore, you should assess whether the paying of demands for unlawful excessive charges has also out you further into arrears and if this has caused you further penalties in terms of extra interest or any other prejudice. This should be claimed as well.
      If excessive unlawful charges have resulted in your credit file being affected, then you should take this into account also when working out exactly what you want by way of remedy from the lender.
      You should consult others on these forums when considering any offer.
      You must not make any complaint through the Ombudsman. your time will be wasted, you will wait up to 2 yrs and there will be a minimal 8% award of interest and no account will be taken of any other damage you have suffered.
      You must make your complaint through the County Court for a rapid and effective remedy.

      http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Library/Communication/PR/2010/120.shtml
      http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pubs/final/redstone.pdf
      http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pubs/final/db_uk.pdf
       
      http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/consumerinformation/firmnews/2011/db_mortgages.shtml
      Do you have a mortage arears claim to make? Then post your story on the forum here
      • 0 replies
    • 30 Day Right To Reject - Vehicle Casualty Report. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/415585-30-day-right-to-reject-vehicle-casualty-report/
      • 9 replies
    • I am new here but very glad to find my way here and would welcome any input.
       
      i purchased a brand new campervan conversion from Hillside Leisure (175 miles from our home) on July 26th for £31,000 and, within 48 hours, during a storm, the alarm began to sound incessantly. We could not get it to stop, even after trying everything listed in the manual. We phoned Hillside on Saturday July 28th around 2.00pm. The young man who answered the phone said he would seek the advice of their technician and call us back, which he did. The technician told us that they, Hillside, couldn’t help, but that we should take the van to Nissan (the van is a Nissan) as the fault would lie with one of their components.
       
      • 42 replies
×
×
  • Create New...